Central London Hotel recomendations

Bxc53

We're to be in London pre-cruise from Nov 20 to 23 this year. We'll be taking the train from Waterloo to Southampton.

What would be some good hotel choices from the stand point of sightseeing and straightforward access to the train at the end of our visit?

The Hilton family hotels are preferred since I have points to use, but not the only possibility.

Any advise appreciated!

Two Hilton properties I have really enjoyed (both on points) were the Waldorf which is close to Covent Garden and The London Hilton on Park Lane, opposite Hyde Park. Both are near bus stops and very convenient to the Tube.

I would not let access to the Train Station limnit your choices as a cab ride is easy.

Cheers

I diitto the Hilton Parklane. it is right across from Hyde park, within 15-30 walk of Buckingham Palace, Westminister Abby, Parliment, Harrods Department Store, and it is a block away from the original Hard Rock Cafe (the one that started it all in 1971). I have stayed here many times; along with Marriott Grovsner Square, and Marriott Marble Arch, and the Hyatt Churchill.

• 4 months later...
This new hotel is getting high reviews and am wondering how far is it from the Waterloo Station. We may take the train from there to Southampton. How long by taxi and approx. fare?

Thanks.

It should be about 8 GBP from the Hilton Tower Bridge to Waterloo - a 10 minute journey on a good run.

You always are so helpful!

This sounds like a good plan to get us to Southampton for a cruise!

Are these trains very dependable? Don't want to miss the ship and are thinking to go by train on the morning of embarkation. Otherwise, would you recommend going the day prior and staying over in Southampton?

Is this newer Hilton is a good area for walking to sites?

Thanks again!

Last month we spent two nights at the Park Plaza County Hall and was very please.Waterloo Station,Houses of Parliament,Westminster Abbey and London Eye are within a 5-10 walk.Plenty of eating places.Hotel was built in 2008.

Are these trains very dependable? Don't want to miss the ship and are thinking to go by train on the morning of embarkation. Otherwise, would you recommend going the day prior and staying over in Southampton?

Thanks again!

Trains in the UK are generally very reliable EXCEPT when there is a job action (Strike). They are usually well publicized in advance. Schedules are quite different on Sundays when a lot of track work is planned and done.

Cheers

I stayed at the Hilton Tower London in May. There is a nice pub right across the street. If u go out the back of the hotel and walk about 200 feet you will be on the Thames. The HMS Bounty is docked there and they give tours. Across the river is the Tower of London and the Tower Bridge is right there also. My wife and I walked across the Tower Bridge and toured the Tower of London; we also visited St. Pauls which is about a 15 min walk. The subway station is a two minute walk. If u go out the front door and turn right the subway is up the street on the left side. There is a Boots Pharmacy around the corner; and a mini mall across the street from the Subway. Also, there are 3-4 nice places to eat right on the Thames, and about a two-five minute walk from Hotel. The rooms were very nice, and the staff were wonderful.

I stayed at the Hilton Tower London in May. There is a nice pub right across the street. If u go out the back of the hotel and walk about 200 feet you will be on the Thames. The HMS Bounty is docked there and they give tours. Across the river is the Tower of London and the Tower Bridge is right there also. My wife and I walked across the Tower Bridge and toured the Tower of London; we also visited St. Pauls which is about a 15 min walk. The subway station is a two minute walk. If u go out the front door and turn right the subway is up the street on the left side. There is a Boots Pharmacy around the corner; and a mini mall across the street from the Subway. Also, there are 3-4 nice places to eat right on the Thames, and about a two-five minute walk from Hotel. The rooms were very nice, and the staff were wonderful.

Thanks, AF1 for posting that. The reviews seem very positive about this hotel! Did you eat breakfast or dinner at the hotel? I am considering booking their all -inclusive rate but wonder how their restaurant is.

Would you be able to walk to the London Eye area along the river , within half an hour , or is it too far?

Thanks again!

You have plenty of time to get down to Southampton, most cruises you have to check in by about 15:00 or 16:00. If you had a leisurely breakfast, got a mid morning train you'd arrive in time for lunch at the ship.

The Hilton Tower Bridge is not in a mainstream hotel district - and all the better for it When I was a boy it was still part of the Port of London wth warehouses. Now its very much an up and coming area and in my opinion one of the most atmospheric parts of London to stay. A great area to wander along the Thames and explore.

London is spread out so no one hotel area is central for the sights. This Hilton has St Paul's Cathedral, Tower of London, Tower Bridge, Shakespeare's Globe Theatre, the London Dungeion and the Tate Modern on your doorstep. For everywhere else you'll take a bus or Underground.

To give you an idea, below is a link to a walk around your hotel.

Your hotel is near point 20 on the walks map.

Self Guided Walk From The Hilton Tower Bridge

I recommend (as does the NY TIMES--see review) the City INN Westminster, which by taxi is just 6-7 minutes to the station but is on the North side of the Thames right next to the Tate Gallery. Checking room availability for your dates as of the date of this writing, doubles available starting at 109 GBP and fill one bedroom suites from 209 GBP. The service at this hotel is first rate, very friendly and very efficient and it has these great discounted prices if you are checking in for a weekend because it's mainly occupied by business people and politicos during the week given its location near government offices. So for us tourists, discounts are quite nice on weekends. Just type City Inn Westminster into NY Times or search engine. It is in the top 10 at tripadvisor.com and by far the least expensive of the 10.

I am considering booking their all -inclusive rate but wonder how their restaurant is.
Given the amount of really good choice within walking distance of the hotel, I really wouldn't clamour to eat at the hotel restaurant. Although I haven't eaten there myself, it's never appeared on any "good food" radar screen - whereas there's at least two restaurants within 10 minutes walk that would make it onto my "top 50" list in London (please post again if you want details), and plenty more in the same radius that are perfectly good at most price levels.

The London Eye would be closer to an hour's walk than half an hour.

BTW, the warship on the river by this hotel is actually HMS Belfast.

I ate breakfast in the hotel everyday. Usually just a cont'l breakfast; muffins, croissants, coffee, tea, juice, toast. I did not eat dinner, too many good places to eat in the local area. If you go to the Thames river u can see the London Eye from the hotel. It is a bit of a walk, more like an hour; there is a Hilton Hotel on the Thames right at the London Eye, if you choose to stay there. I did make a mistake, the ship docked at the Hilton Tower Bridge is the HMS Belfast. Hope this helps.

I wouldn't choose a hotel based just on location as it is easy to get to Waterloo from anywhere in Central London.

But if you do want to be near Waterloo I can recommend the Marriott London County Hall which is a 1 minute walk to Waterloo Station. It's on the banks of the Thames, right opposite Big Ben, The Houses of Parliament and Downing Street and the London Eye will be in touching distance of your bedroom window. You could maybe take a ride on a river boat to the Tower of London.

What's the best way to get from Southampton to London Hyatt Churchill at Portman Square? Tried looking at National Express but it only listed 3 locations for London. We need to transfer around 9:00 am.

Janet

As Globaliser alludes to, there is no 'best way' between Southampton and Portman Square for all people. There is a cheapest, fastest, most comfortable etc - all of which have different solutions. Amount of luggage and attitude towards using public transport also make it very much an individuals choice.

The main options to London are out outlined at the url below with indicative pricing.

Southampton To Central London

• 2 weeks later...
We're to be in London pre-cruise from Nov 20 to 23 this year. We'll be taking the train from Waterloo to Southampton.

What would be some good hotel choices from the stand point of sightseeing and straightforward access to the train at the end of our visit?

The Hilton family hotels are preferred since I have points to use, but not the only possibility.

Any advise appreciated!

I am so envious. I have wanted to return at a time when I could again attend the Classical Spectacular at Royal Albert Hall (held March & November) but it just hasn't worked out. It is a wonderful production with indoor laser/fireworks, etc. and the London Philharmonic. I highly recommend it for a rousing event during your stay.

This may not be the best place to post this, but I see Londoners on here who may be able to help. I am sailing on the 5/31/10 Jewel to the Baltic, and I am looking for info on getting to the port at Harwich from Victoria station. We are staying close by the station. I know I've seen travel directions in the past, but can't find the thread.

I've taken the Gatwick Express in the past, so know about that train. I've also learned that there are regular trains making the same run that may be a little more economical. Thanks for any suggestions.

This may not be the best place to post this, but I see Londoners on here who may be able to help. I am sailing on the 5/31/10 Jewel to the Baltic, and I am looking for info on getting to the port at Harwich from Victoria station. We are staying close by the station. I know I've seen travel directions in the past, but can't find the thread.

I've taken the Gatwick Express in the past, so know about that train. I've also learned that there are regular trains making the same run that may be a little more economical. Thanks for any suggestions.

Here is a thread that may answer your questions:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=20434607#post20434607

I have wanted to return at a time when I could again attend the Classical Spectacular at Royal Albert Hall (held March & November). It is a wonderful production with indoor laser/fireworks, etc. and the London Philharmonic. I highly recommend it for a rousing event during your stay.

I agree! I was almost ready to change citizenship after a rousing 'Rule Britannia'!

Archived