Grand Princess

davekathy

Anyone sailed on the Grand Princess lately? I’m interested in any comments from recent Grand passengers.

We sailed from Feb 27th to March 13th. We had a wonderful cruise and found the staff to be extremely friendly and helpful everywhere on the ship. We liked the food in the buffet and the dining room staff and servers were efficient, friendly with excellent memories as they remembered us each time! The Plaza Bar staff were really nice. "Beethoven" made great cappucinos and lattes for us and told us each day how hard his "mom" worked making the delicious cookies served each day!!! He was a riot!! Loved him and the servers there. We DID NOT notice any areas of the ship that were "shabby" or worn. New carpet had been installed previously and we got a flat screen and a newly refurbished table in our room. Hope this helps in your decision to sail the Grand-she is still a great ship!!!

Does that mean that they are firmer than the normal Princess standard or?:)

Just plain worn out, IMO. You could see the springs trying to poke through the fabric. Even with an eggcrate it was not a good sleeping experience. Princess needs to get their act together with bedding. All the other lines have upgraded to premium bedding.

We sailed from Feb 27th to March 13th. We had a wonderful cruise and found the staff to be extremely friendly and helpful everywhere on the ship. We liked the food in the buffet and the dining room staff and servers were efficient, friendly with excellent memories as they remembered us each time! The Plaza Bar staff were really nice. "Beethoven" made great cappucinos and lattes for us and told us each day how hard his "mom" worked making the delicious cookies served each day!!! He was a riot!! Loved him and the servers there. We DID NOT notice any areas of the ship that were "shabby" or worn. New carpet had been installed previously and we got a flat screen and a newly refurbished table in our room. Hope this helps in your decision to sail the Grand-she is still a great ship!!!

Its really great when you hear good things from people like yourself! I understand the ship was in wetdock in december so i dont really see how people are complaining about carpets, as they all got replaced!

Glad to hear you had an excellent time, and i cant wait to be on her in July!

Many Thanks Seamanfs!:D

We are booked for the 26 March 2010 Caribbean Collection Cruise on the Grand. Thank you for your reply.

We also sailed on her from 3/13 to 3/27/09 and had a great time. This was our second sailing on her and we weren't disappointed in the food, shows and entertainment staff.

I had requested an egg crate and didn't check the first night, we woke up the first morning with back pain and I looked and there was no egg crate. I asked our room steward for one that morning and he ended up putting a duvet under the sheet which worked ok. We had a flat screen tv which was nice.

We found wait staff that we enjoyed in Michaelangelo's and ate there most nights.

MUTS was enjoyable at night. Reminds me of the drive in's when we were kids only here we could lay down on nice soft cushions, with a blanket and popcorn served to you.:D

Did a 14 day sailing on the Grand mid January and loved every minute of it. We truly enjoyed the food and service. With regard to worn out carpets, all public rooms seemed to have brand new carpeting in place. Would sail it again in a minute, as long as quality remains the same.

Did a 14 day sailing on the Grand mid January and loved every minute of it. We truly enjoyed the food and service. With regard to worn out carpets, all public rooms seemed to have brand new carpeting in place. Would sail it again in a minute, as long as quality remains the same.

Another positive comment from yourself ginagirl. Thanks alot, i really cannot wait for my cruise on the Grand in July now. It really good when you hear a really positive comment from someone like yourself!

Thanks !!!:D

Another positive comment from yourself ginagirl. Thanks alot, i really cannot wait for my cruise on the Grand in July now. It really good when you hear a really positive comment from someone like yourself!

Thanks !!!:D

I agree! Thank you so much to everyone. Please keep the updates coming~both good & bad. I will be sailing with my adult sons & not adult husband. LOL

• 2 weeks later...
I am on the Grand right now.I think the ship is great,the food is great and so far the entertainment has been mostly quite good.We asked for an eggcrate the first night and think the bed is quite comfortableEnjoying Maurizio very much.It is very crowded where he is playing.I do not seeing any signs of wear and tear,nor have I been looking for any.

Hope you get this.

I heard that Maurizio was under the weather....wonder if you can give an update on that?

Don't think he played after April 8th? Please let us know if you can, he is such a great entertainer!

Thx and enjoy your trip!

We sailed the Grand Feb 27th to March 13th 2009 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Updating the rest of tv screens to flat panel and doing the usual touch up here and there whilst we were onboard. Enjoyed everything about the cruise and would not hesitate to go back on her in a heartbeat.

We even checked out next years itinerarys before coming down on the side of a b2b aboard the Ruby. But had we fancied another Grand Princess itinerary we would have been more than happy to sail her again.

cheers.....enjoy her.

Pete.

We sailed the Grand Feb 27th to March 13th 2009 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Updating the rest of tv screens to flat panel and doing the usual touch up here and there whilst we were onboard. Enjoyed everything about the cruise and would not hesitate to go back on her in a heartbeat.

We even checked out next years itinerarys before coming down on the side of a b2b aboard the Ruby. But had we fancied another Grand Princess itinerary we would have been more than happy to sail her again.

cheers.....enjoy her.

Pete.

We are counting the days...yes already!

I was on the Grand in Jan and loved it. I have been on newer ships, but the Grand is still in good condition. A few minor things, but nothing to possibly ruin a cruise. She is really similar to Princess newer ships as she was the template for the grand class. I would sail her again in a minute!

Anyone interested in sharing private tours for a Sept. 5 cruise?

I forgot to say that the link below was a link to your roll call. A Roll Call is a forum for people on the same sailing to "meet" before they sail and set up private excursions, etc., exactly as you want to do. If you click on the link below it will take you to the Roll CAll for the Sept. 5 cruise. Good Luck

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=745731

My husband and I were recently on the Grand Princess (March 27-April 10) and found the ship to be in need of repair in some areas; however, I will say that maintaining a ship on the ocean is a monumental job. They revarnished the balconies while we were on the ship and the areas appeared to be pretty clean BUT the beds were the worst. This was our first Princess cruise - we have always been on Carnival before and their beds were GREAT. We both found the beds on Princess to be lumpy and hard and not at all comfortable.

Entertainment was fair. Skywalkers on the night my husband and I went, had only two couples including us; however, I will admit that miost of the passengers were much older than my husband and myself (I'm 63, he is 59).

I will admit that we missed the towel animals; however, the staff appeared to be nice and our room was kept pretty clean except for the balcony which we had to ask our steward to clean the glass and the furniture on the balcony needs to be replaced as ours was stained and had paint on it.

We have just booked our first cruise on the Grand Princess cabin C510 on Caribe deck. I told a friend and she said that the TA told her the higher the deck the more of the ships motion you feel. I feel a bit apprehensive now as I have a few medical conditions and thought I had booked the best cabin and deck for us. Has anyone stayed in this cabin and deck, your comments would be greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
I am on the Grand right now.I think the ship is great,the food is great and so far the entertainment has been mostly quite good.We asked for an eggcrate the first night and think the bed is quite comfortableEnjoying Maurizio very much.It is very crowded where he is playing.I do not seeing any signs of wear and tear,nor have I been looking for any.

Hello DianeF,

Glad to hear you were on the Grand and you did not see any wear and tear from Maurizio and he appeared to be to be doing well and in good shape. If we remember correctly his last day on the Grand was yesterday (May 9th) and disembarked in Southhampton, England. Maurizio should be back home in Italy today and we all hope he is feeling better now that he is back in his hometown. Thank you for the update and Ciao for now,

We have just booked our first cruise on the Grand Princess cabin C510 on Caribe deck. I told a friend and she said that the TA told her the higher the deck the more of the ships motion you feel. I feel a bit apprehensive now as I have a few medical conditions and thought I had booked the best cabin and deck for us. Has anyone stayed in this cabin and deck, your comments would be greatly appreciated.

You are just about midship and should feel very little if any real motion on that deck. We were on the Caribe deck on our March cruise on the Grand and didn't notice much movement at all. Rest assured, it should be great.

I'm sailing on the Grand in Oct so very curious and happy to see all the comments on this. However, please pardon my ignorance, but what is the eggcrate that has been referred to for the beds? I've got a bad back and am starting to worry about the state of the beds.. How does the eggcrate help? Does it make a big difference?

I'm sailing on the Grand in Oct so very curious and happy to see all the comments on this. However, please pardon my ignorance, but what is the eggcrate that has been referred to for the beds? I've got a bad back and am starting to worry about the state of the beds.. How does the eggcrate help? Does it make a big difference?

The egg crates we received on the Grand were approximately 1" thick piece of dimpled foam that they put on the extra firm mattress. We ended up having three of them, as one didn't even begin to help.

They call them egg crates as they used to resemble an egg crate with large dimples, but the Grand seems to have switched to thinner foam mattress pads now that no longer have the deep dimples on them. The old ones worked much better. ;)

Next cruise, we are taking along our own memory foam mattress topper, even if I have to pay the extra luggage charge on the flight for bringing it. :)

Archived