International Calling Cards

Ditch

Any suggestions on what type international calling card to purchase, along with best place to purchase. Sailing on Royal Caribbean in 10 days on their Southern Caribbean itinerary. In addition, what should I watch out for, so I do not get over charged on connections fee's ect.

Best bet is to buy a card at the port you want to call from. Some cards here DO include US territories. But if you ask your waitors where to buy and call and where the quietest phones are at a particular port, they'll have the info or find out from their buddies. Calling from the ship is very expensive. Use that phone or give that number out for emergencies only.

Exactly--buy the card in the port where you want to use it! Do NOT buy it here, in the States!!!!

Use the ship's e-mail for contact, if you can--that's the cheapest way to contact home!

You do know that life won't end, and the world won't stop turning if you're "out of touch" for 10 days!!!!!

Exactly--buy the card in the port where you want to use it! Do NOT buy it here, in the States!!!!

Use the ship's e-mail for contact, if you can--that's the cheapest way to contact home!

You do know that life won't end, and the world won't stop turning if you're "out of touch" for 10 days!!!!!

Well, considering my father-in-law lives alone and can just get by at his age, with no other family support, I would say being "out of touch" for 10 days is pushing it. There's nothing wrong with touching base.

But anyway, thanks for the input.

Well, considering my father-in-law lives alone and can just get by at his age, with no other family support, I would say being "out of touch" for 10 days is pushing it. There's nothing wrong with touching base.

But anyway, thanks for the input.

Ok, this is none of my business, but for your own peace of mind I think you are going to need more of a backup system. What if you call your father-in-law from one of the Caribbean ports and he doesn't answer? You won't know if he's just having a bath or if he's had a fall. If it was me, I'd be a wreck until I could speak to him again! Can you arrange for a neighbour or a friend to have a key and/or check on him occasionally?

Lisa

Ok, this is none of my business, but for your own peace of mind I think you are going to need more of a backup system. What if you call your father-in-law from one of the Caribbean ports and he doesn't answer? You won't know if he's just having a bath or if he's had a fall. If it was me, I'd be a wreck until I could speak to him again! Can you arrange for a neighbour or a friend to have a key and/or check on him occasionally?

Lisa

My thoughts exactly. What is the OP going to do if there was a problem? (My elderly mom, who still was active fell while getting ready to golf and layed on her bathroom floor for over 24 hours before we found her.) If there is no one around to do the daily check, there are services that can be hired to give you peace of mind. And someone, besides the father in law, needs the phone number of the ship in case of a REAL emergency.

Just words from someone who KNOWS what can happen. Good luck.

Oh...and you should have someone that can sign any paperwork needed for medical treatment in an emergency. If he is not able, someone will need to give permission for procedures. Just be prepared and you'll have fewer worries.

I bought a prepaid card from AT&T when I went to Fiji. Ordered online, printed out, and used it to call back home. Don't know how the price/minutes compares with what you might find in port, but it was nice having it already with me, instead of wasting time trying to track down a calling card in Fiji.

http://www.consumer.att.com/prepaidcard/fy/

You don't need to prebuy any calling cards for the S Carib. They are sold all over the place and easy to find phones. Again ask your ship staff for a "quiet" phone. The ones right at the port will be busy and it's pretty noisy.

You don't need to prebuy any calling cards for the S Carib. They are sold all over the place and easy to find phones. Again ask your ship staff for a "quiet" phone. The ones right at the port will be busy and it's pretty noisy.

Thanks for the info

Archived