Signature Express Baggage Service at Disembarkation

Chelly

Is there a charge for Signature Express Baggage Service for disembarkation? Thank you.

C.

Yes, $16 per person. For that you get your airline boarding passes and luggage delivered to the airport. It is worth it! :)

Chelly - hi from the cold, snowy part of NM.

The Baggage Service is great if you qualify. There is an awkward-to-locate information page on the HAL site at:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/CruisePreparation.action?tabName=Transportation&contentMenu=Arrival,+Boarding+%26+Disembarkation&contentSubMenu=Signature+Express+Baggage+Service

we used the service after our Westerdam cruise in Feb and thought it was well worth while. Beats having to lug your bags to the airport and check-in. Additionally, if you are flying an airline that charges for checked bags (like us on Northworst) they can simply add that charge to your onboard account and you don't have to fuss with it. We would definitely do it again.

And when you figure that you'd normally be tipping the porter at the dock who takes your lugggage out to the curb and the skycap at the airport at least $3-4 each, the service really only ends up running you about $12 per person.

WE fly Southwest from Ft Lauderdale. They were not a participating member. However, when we got outside the cruise terminal, there was a Southwest rep with a truck. We paid $10 each, got our boarding passes and got our luggage at our home airport. It was wonderful.

Sundagger, Hi! from the warm, windy southwest area of N.M. Thanks for the info and the link. I will check it out now.

Thanks all. I always find an answer to my cruise questions at CC. I love this site!!!!!

I'd been thinking of doing self-embark; I hate searching through those piles of luggage in the terminal. However, now that I know about express baggage I will definitely go with it.

Sundagger, Hi! from the warm, windy southwest area of N.M. Thanks for the info and the link. I will check it out now.

Thanks all. I always find an answer to my cruise questions at CC. I love this site!!!!!

I'd been thinking of doing self-embark; I hate searching through those piles of luggage in the terminal. However, now that I know about express baggage I will definitely go with it.

For most itineraries, except perhaps Alaska, you still will need to claim your bags and schlep them thru Customs and out to the truck contracted by HAL for this service.

For most itineraries, except perhaps Alaska, you still will need to claim your bags and schlep them thru Customs and out to the truck contracted by HAL for this service.

Oh GROAN! Searching, claiming and schlepping!

Although we do have to take our own bags through customs in Ft. Lauderdale - that was not the case in San Diego. Using Signature Express Baggage, we didn't see those babies from the time we put them outside our stateroom until we arrived in Chicago. We loved it!

We just used this service leaving the Eurodam on March 28th. It could not have been a simpler process. It was $16 per person and was fabulous. We were off the ship quickly, picked up our baggage in a designated area, proceeded through customs and dropped off our bags right outside the terminal door. My main reason for using this service is that our return flights were not until 3:00 PM and I wanted to be able to go right through security at the airport and not have to wait to check my bags till 2-3 hours within my flight and the Airport was strictly adhering to that policy. We were through airport security in less than 5 minutes and had nothing to do but wait for the flight. My problem came with being charged $15 per check bag which was a mistake and now I am getting alot of double talk as to who is actually supposed to refund the $30. Holland America says it is Delta's charge and they are responsible. Delta says it was on my Holland America account and thus it is not their charge. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I was afraid that that would happen last month on our Delta flight so I did not use the express program. Plus we has first class tickets so the airport in FLL was a shorter line. Now I am glad I did not mess with it. I will use them on our next trip, as the others with us raved about how it was so easy and how their bags actually got to their airport before they did (on an earlier flight) so it saved them time in getting home.

We just used this service leaving the Eurodam on March 28th. It could not have been a simpler process. It was $16 per person and was fabulous. We were off the ship quickly, picked up our baggage in a designated area, proceeded through customs and dropped off our bags right outside the terminal door. My main reason for using this service is that our return flights were not until 3:00 PM and I wanted to be able to go right through security at the airport and not have to wait to check my bags till 2-3 hours within my flight and the Airport was strictly adhering to that policy. We were through airport security in less than 5 minutes and had nothing to do but wait for the flight. My problem came with being charged $15 per check bag which was a mistake and now I am getting alot of double talk as to who is actually supposed to refund the $30. Holland America says it is Delta's charge and they are responsible. Delta says it was on my Holland America account and thus it is not their charge. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Bottom line: you paid the monies to HAL, so HAL has a lot to do with refunding. You can and should contact the Onboard Account Dept. at 800-976-3935. The lady there was very helpful in resolving a charge for bottled water, which we did not drink, that was not on our final statement but showed up on our credit card statement.

If that doesn't work and if you settled your onboard account with a credit card, I would challenge the charge with your credit card company. Be prepared to document in writing that the $15/bag was not appropriate: airline website bag info, date you bought your air, etc. Also, your onboard statement should show a line itme for the bag fees, and you may need to provide copy of that as well.

Good luck!

Does anyone know where to find a list of participating airlines? I was going to book with Southwest (because I can take 2 bags for free still) but someone said they didn't participate. Would like to find out who does.

I wonder if there are other airlines that still allow 2 bags?

Is there a charge for Signature Express Baggage Service for disembarkation? Thank you.

C.

if you are flying out of Fort Lauderdale... DO NOT pass up this service. The lines for check in at the airport can be 2-3 hours long if you have your luggage with you. Considering the price you pay for a cruise...it's worth the few extra dollars! We couldn't believe the line for check-in this past January...and we by-passed all of it and went straight through security. I will never go without it again!

Used the service in San Diego this past February debarking from the Oosterdam. We were flying 1st Class with Alaska Air and had a total of three checked bags. Flying 1st Class we were entitled to a total of four bags without charge.

We were in a suite and reminded the Concierge that we were 1st Class Alaska Air passengers and there would be no additional baggage fee. The next day the Concierge notified us that there was no added baggage charge.

We will use Princess's similar service in January when we debark from the Ruby Princess. We will be staying in a Penthouse and hope there is some type of Concierge service that will make sure our baggage is handled properly as we will also be 1st Class passengers on Delta.

Does anyone know where to find a list of participating airlines? I was going to book with Southwest (because I can take 2 bags for free still) but someone said they didn't participate. Would like to find out who does.

I wonder if there are other airlines that still allow 2 bags?

Check it out: http://www.airportbags.com/ Click on 'Company & Partners'.

We did the Signature Baggage Service in February when disembarking the Noordam (we flew Jet Blue). It was fabulous.

We were off the ship with the first group, picked up our baggage in an easily identifiable area at Port Everglades, took it through Customs, then rolled it out to the waiting truck. Didn't see our bags again until we picked them up in Boston!

Best $$$ we ever spent!:D

I used this last August in Seattle and it was great. I didn't see my luggage from the time I set it outside my cabin door until I landed at home. It was so much easier than lugging it around. Well worth the $16.00.

I'll be using it again this August in Vancouver if it's available!

:)

I was going to book with Southwest (because I can take 2 bags for free still) but someone said they didn't participate. Would like to find out who does.

It's my understanding the Southwest is not a participating airline, but all hope is not lost.

Here's what I believe Southwest can do for you in Ft. Lauderdale:

When you leave the ship, collect your luggage, and go through Customs/Immigration. Outside the terminal there is a Southwest stand and representative (up to here I do know what I'm talking about, as I saw it when I left the Noordam 2/2).

You can then turn your bags over to Southwest at that stand, and the equivalent of Express Baggage Service is yours.

Ruth C is indeed correct. Upon disembarking the Eurodam our friends flew Southwest. Once outside the terminal there was a Southwest agent collecting bags. He took their bags and they were waiting for them after their flight arrived in Philadelphia. Im would also like to add there was no charge for the service. They were very happy as the check in line at FLL was about a mile long.

Archived