Shorts at dinner on the Jewel

lmt0714

Now while I do not agree with breaking rules and agree with the no shorts in the dining room, is there not a dining room that allows shorts. I was under the impression that there was one dining room that was formal and there was another that is more casual. I am on the Star and my husband to will not bring any dress pants, but I was told that it is okay because while we cannot eat in the Versailles Dining Room we can eat in the Auqa with shorts on. Please let me know if this is not true because I refuse to eat in the buffet for dinner so I will MAKE:eek: him wear some sort of pant. Thanks for the advice.:)

Sorry, you have misunderstood. There are two main dining room, one which allows jeans, and one which does not. Jeans are also allowed in all specialty restaurants. So if you or hubby want to wear jeans, you can do so in all restaurants except for the one main dining room that allows them. Regarding shorts, they are not allowed in any dining room for dinner at night...only the buffet. Here's what NCL's website says (the red highlight is mine):

Daytime, it's basically all fine since we know you're probably headed to the pool or out for a fun Shore Excursion. Casual shorts, jeans, tops and sundresses are welcome everywhere. You can even wear your swimsuit to the poolside grill or the buffet.

Resort casual dress gets you into every venue at night too. Some people like to add a jacket, or when celebrating a special occasion, get all decked out. This too is welcome everywhere. And if you're tired from a long fun day and just want to wear shorts; our buffet is the place for a casual dinner. Some people prefer nice jeans. They're welcome in many of our restaurants as well, but not in all. It's your vacation on NCL so dress comfortably, and you'll find a venue that suits your style.

So, pack those pants for him! :)

CG

I've only been on one cruise in my life and that was on the Dawn. I'm gunna take a wild guess here and say that the dress code is fleet-wide.

I took one pair of docker-type pants and a couple polo-type shirts to wear for the main dinning rooms and specialty restaurants and a pair of resonably clean sneakers. NO PROBLEM. You only need them for about an hour at best. Then.......back to slumming or whatever. Unless you're cruising for than 7 days then maybe an extra pair of pants.

Formal nights are only if YOU want them to be. I think NCL wants you to have a great experience andall they ask is that you be neat. Just sayin....

Has anyone ran into a problem with either Dress Kilts (for my Scottish friends) or Dress Bermuda Shorts (for those from that British Crown Colony)?

Michael

Oh, boy. Here we go...:D Well, I guess Mike does have a point!

DT

I for one, am glad someone doesn't have to look at my hairy legs while they're eating! :D

DT

Gosh, I never thought of that regardin my hairy legs. I better forget about my old question on when do shorts become shorts...above the knee, at the knee, or below the knee. Dresses take up less room in my suitcase...but I will still have the hairy leg issue.

coka

Oh, boy. Here we go...:D Well, I guess Mike does have a point!

DT

Ok, so perhaps I might have been even slightly fecetious in my post, but still ... point made. To say "No Shorts under ANY circumstances" always means there has to be an exception somewhere, right? Right? <Hency kilts and Bermuda Shorts>

Ok, I'm being a royal PIA.

Michael

In other words, you are trying to have us justify your husband dressing like a slob.

DON

LOL...

That's the case a lot of times here isn't it? People post questions then get upset when the responses aren't what they want to hear.

To the OP:

If you didn't want a lecture you should not have asked the question. YOU KNOW THE RULE you are asking if it is ok for you to ignore it, NO it isn't. If you don't like the lecture too bad.

There may be no stupid questions but there are ones the answer to which is obvious.

Don't ask a question if you can break the rules because perhaps someone else has and then say no lectures and get huffy.

Just so you know, you see you have a spread of responses on here, well that same spread will be reflected in your fellow passengers, and some of them won't give fig what you do, some of them WILL complain to the management if you "get away" with rule breaking.

So I know the official word from NCL is no shorts at dinner...but I've seen conflicting reports on here regarding people wearing dress shorts to dinner. My husband has several pairs of nice dress shorts that he wears with button down collared shirts, and can't believe he can't wear them to dinner. I know you can wear them to the buffet but I'm not crazy about eating dinner at the buffet so wanted to get someone's recent report about how strict they were with the dress code on the Jewel in the dining room/specialty restaurants. Thanks in advance! :D

It is just my opinion but there is no such thing as dress shorts anymore than a short sleeve dress shirt. Short pants and short sleeves are not dressy.

JMHO

My understanding is that one MDR allows jeans (this is the casual MDR and is usually much smaller) and the other does not, but shorts are a no-no in both. The buffet and Blue Lagoon are perfectly fine when wearing shorts.

you are right, Jeans are a different story, but the shorts are not allowed in any dining room after 6pm or maybe it is 5pm.

Nita

Now while I do not agree with breaking rules and agree with the no shorts in the dining room, is there not a dining room that allows shorts. I was under the impression that there was one dining room that was formal and there was another that is more casual. I am on the Star and my husband to will not bring any dress pants, but I was told that it is okay because while we cannot eat in the Versailles Dining Room we can eat in the Auqa with shorts on. Please let me know if this is not true because I refuse to eat in the buffet for dinner so I will MAKE:eek: him wear some sort of pant. Thanks for the advice.:)

Dockers or jeans are just fine even on formal optional nights, just forget the shorts. LOL

Nita

I have not read the entire thread , but thought I would add this.

We were on the Star 3/21-3/28 and I saw on two seperate ocasions men being turned away becuase they had shorts on at the main dr ..;)

( 2900 pax on baord that week :eek: )( Dbl ocupancy is 2400 )

It is just my opinion but there is no such thing as dress shorts anymore than a short sleeve dress shirt. Short pants and short sleeves are not dressy.

Without commenting on the specific question of whether shorts can be worn in NCL dining rooms at dinner ... it would appear there are differing opinions as to whether there is such a thing as "dress shorts":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bermuda_shorts

The article states they are considered appropriate business attire in Bermuda, but with the notable requirement "... when made of suit-like material and worn with knee-length socks, a dress shirt, tie, and blazer." (I suspect such an outfit is not what the original poster had in mind.)

My last cruise to Bermuda, I did see one man dressed in Bermuda shorts that were allowed which is the full get-up of jacket, tie and knee socks. So on a Bermuda cruise this is allowed but buying the outfit in Bermuda won't be cheap!

So I know the official word from NCL is no shorts at dinner...but I've seen conflicting reports on here regarding people wearing dress shorts to dinner. My husband has several pairs of nice dress shorts that he wears with button down collared shirts, and can't believe he can't wear them to dinner. I know you can wear them to the buffet but I'm not crazy about eating dinner at the buffet so wanted to get someone's recent report about how strict they were with the dress code on the Jewel in the dining room/specialty restaurants. Thanks in advance! :D

I haven't read all the responses but I'm sure you've gotten good advice. If you want one more experience, my brother who is always dressed to a T was turned back because he was wearing very nice dress shorts, button front shirt, belt, etc. We were shocked, but then we were newbies at the time. (This was on the Dawn.) Your husband should bring some long pants so you can enjoy the dining room.

I wore shorts in the dining room once and it was a formal night. It so happens there are some rules that can be revised. We didn't receive our luggage and they didn't have an assortment of pants in the shops. We generally pack so if one bag is lost or late we have things to chose from, but no bags if different. I usually wear shorts 365 days a year alway hoping for sunshine.:):):)

It does get confusing. So hopefully this will help.

The first two are allowed. The last one isn't. :D

CG

In all candor, I find the formal kilt and the formal Bermuda shorts to be very sophisticated outfits, and would not mind having one of each in my wardrobe. Two questions come to mind, of course ... how much would they cost, especially something from Bermuda (we'll be there on the Dawn come May), and what would my wife say to my query of, "Can I buy one for myself?"

Michael

sounds to me like the OP's question is about how strict they are on the Jewel. NOT if it's a rule or wanting to break any rules.... so as always some post need to be ignored.

Rules are rules for a reason. Breaking them is something we all do on occasion, but if we get caught, it is on us. If you break the no shorts rule, don't get mad if I light up a smoke at your table, while pulling out my smuggled bottle of booze, and start belching after chugging a drink, and singing Irish lullabies loudly. If the head waiter calls me on my behavior, I am going to scream bloody murder that he let you break the rules, so why can't I do it.

Iwanna be at this guys table, sounds like a fun time WILL be had by all :D

Archived