Linking account to cash not credit card

Quick question...

We are cruising at the end of the month and do not have a credit card to give to Royal Carribbean to link to our card to make purchases on board. I called the cruiseline to inquire about how we could use cash- whether we would give them a deposit ahead of time, etc. They didn't give me a very clear answer, and I'm wondering if any of you have cruised recently and would have a better answer. We have a secure credit card with a couple hundred dollar limit (not a high enough limit for the week).

Not sure if it's best/possible to bring them say $1000 at the beginning, basically charge against that, and pick up anything that's left at the end? Or, to give them the credit card number, and go pay it off in cash every couple days so it never goes over it's limit?

Any thoughts? Your help is very much appreciated!:)

I'm pretty sure you have to secure your account with a credit card but you can pay the account in cash. We do that all the time so we don't rack up the credit card. I would go down every couple days and pay our account. There has never been a problem doing that.

I can't imagine you HAVE to secure your account with a credit card. There are people out there who don't have ANY cards. I'm pretty sure I've read on these boards that you can give them cash at the beginning and then they'll call you if you start to run low so you can add more.

At the end of my last cruise (for which I did secure my acct with a credit card), I paid half in cash the night before the last day. The next morning the bill was on my door reflecting what I had paid in cash. Luckily it's not like the old days (if I remember correctly) where you have to go to Guest Relations in the morning to settle your bill. They'll charge you automatically.

But okay, I just go ridiculously off topic...sorry! :)

Thank you. Maybe I'll give them the credit card, and then plan on paying it off in cash. If I'm not mistaken, they don't actually charge your card until the end of the cruise, right? So, in theory, I could give them my credit card number, and then pay it off the last night in cash. Would they have any way of knowing that the credit card number I'm giving them has a very low (too low!) limit?

Sorry for all the questions- I'm new to the world of credit cards!

BTW, nomarfan, Nomar is my favorite player of all time! (notice the 5 in my user name :D)

No--you do NOT need a credit card, but you will need plenty of cash! I think they'll require several hundred to charge against, and if your account gets low, they'll ask for more. But you CAN do a "cash" account. And, you're right--they don't actually CHARGE your purchases until the last evening.

I did a cash onboard account for out last 2 or 3 RC cruises and they let me charge up to $500 before requesting a payment and RC didn't require me to put a deposit down up front. If you have not paid off your onboard cash account or there is a problem with your credit card so the automatic billing can't be done at the end of the cruise they won't let disembark until you settle up your account one way or another.

Did I read somewhere that even though you are not charged, an approval can be requested at anytime during the week , lets say ex... I use my debit card that has $1200 in cash at home in the bank, on a 7 day cruise on the 5th day or so my account is at $800 and they request approval - my bank may set aside the $800 on my debit card for a pending charge, then on Saturday am a real charge for $900 comes thru and there is only $400 available. I don't know, I'm paranoid about that stuff. we'll be setting up our account with a debit card but I'm bringing cash to cover our whole bill.

what about a debit card?

We did Debit Card one time and it took at least 10 days after cruise for checking to settle down. Seemed like eachfew days they would estimate spending and place a hold on $X.00. Balanced at the end but not easy to balance checkbook

I was on the Serenade last week and used cash for my Seapass. All you have to do is go to Guest Relations and put a deposit down. I started with $200. Then any charges come off that. You can add money if you get low. On the last night of cruise, go back to Guest Relations and they will refund any unused portion.

I liked this VERY much. I found I wasted MUCH less, and will go this route from now on. Hope that helps.

I was on the Serenade last week and used cash for my Seapass. All you have to do is go to Guest Relations and put a deposit down. I started with $200. Then any charges come off that. You can add money if you get low. On the last night of cruise, go back to Guest Relations and they will refund any unused portion.

I liked this VERY much. I found I wasted MUCH less, and will go this route from now on. Hope that helps.

Exactly! Onboard account is always set-up as CASH. Deposit put down (approx. $100 per day). Then just on the merry way and enjoy the cruise. Can check periodically if need be (via TV depending on cruise and ship; directly with the Guest Relations Desk; or the old-fashioned way and counting all the slips! You get money back the last night (not used tor funerall attendecce

I would not use cash but instead would obtain another credit card with a higher limit to use on the cruise.

(If there is some reason why you are unable to qualify for one on your own, a friend or family member could co-sign to guarantee the account if necessary.)

There are a number of reasons why paying with a credit card is highly preferable to paying with cash.

1) When you put a payment on a credit card, you receive cash back or airline miles or future cruise credits or points towards awards of various kinds, depending on which type of reward you select.

When you pay in cash, you receive nothing in return except a receipt.

2) If your cash is lost or stolen, it is gone.

If your credit card is lost or stolen, you only need to notify the company and you lose nothing. They issue you another card with a different account number. You are not liable for any unauthorized charges on the original card. Furthermore, you have no bulky wad of cash to carry around or worry about.

3) In case you ever need to dispute a charge, you have the protection of the credit card company. Just notify them that you are disputing an unjust charge and you do not pay anything while the matter is in dispute. If it is resolved in your favor, you never pay it at all, or if you have already paid it, the amount will be reversed and credited back to you.

If you pay cash, you are out the money and are left to try to recover the disputed amount from the merchant entirely on your own.

Besides, you receive a statement showing all your charges, credits and payments each month so you can see exactly where your money goes. Some even send a handy end-of-year summary for your records that lists your expenses and payments for the entire year, nicely organized and all together in one statement.

The convenience of using the credit card costs you absolutely nothing as long as you pay off the balance by the due date each month. If you travel a lot and are concerned about a bill coming due while you are away or the mail being slow, you can set it up to be paid automatically on the due date. That way you never incur late fees and it never hurts your credit rating.

P.S. In case you are wondering, the answer is no. I do not work for a credit card company.

I did a cash onboard account for out last 2 or 3 RC cruises and they let me charge up to $500 before requesting a payment and RC didn't require me to put a deposit down up front. If you have not paid off your onboard cash account or there is a problem with your credit card so the automatic billing can't be done at the end of the cruise they won't let disembark until you settle up your account one way or another.

Yes, we were permitted up to $500 spend on the Brilliance a few weeks ago.

I prefer this as it does away with any arguments about exchange rates on a UK credit card.

I've checked out the tutorial for the on line check in where you can print your Set Sail Pass before leaving for the port. This definitely has the option to set up a Cash SeaPass account.

I have emailed RCI to confirm the process and what restrictions, if any, there are if using a cash based SeaPass account and what amount do they recommend for a 7 day cruise for 2 adults.

Here's the answer from RCI's FAQ's on how to pay for onboard purchases.

All of Royal Caribbean International ships operate using a 'cashless' system, meaning your boarding card (also known as your SeaPass card) will be used as a charge card to make all onboard purchases. Normally, to activate this SeaPass account, most guests provide a credit card (American Express, Optima, MasterCard, Visa, Discover and Diner's Club), to which these purchases are charged at the end of their cruise. In addition, the SeaPass system may be activated with traveller's cheques, debit cards or cash.

A running tab of all your purchases will be kept under separate folio numbers for each guest, and an itemised statement left in your stateroom the night before disembarkation. If you provided a credit card, and there are no discrepancies, the amount will be charged to your account on the morning of disembarkation. If you have used traveller's cheques or cash to activate the account, you will need to settle the account at the Guest Relations desk (either to receive a reimbursement of the unused amount you originally left or to pay the balance of what you have charged in excess of the amount that you originally left).

Please note:

We require guests to place a deposit if they are paying for their SeaPass account with cash. There is a daily limit on cash accounts of USD 500.00 for 7+ night sailings and USD 300.00 for 2/3/4/5 night sailings. Once the daily cash limit is reached, we will call the guest and inform them that the limit has been reached.

I'll let you know what response I get from my email.

Just off the Jewel and I used a cash account. They extend you $500 credit and when you reach that (if you do) they will notify you and you need to go and pay down the account. We don't drink or gamble so we never reached $500. I went down halfway through the cruise and put $400 on the account. At the end I went back and they gave me a few $ back. I had pre paid excusions, etc, as well. You can reach $500 pretty fast if you book excusions, specialty restaurants, etc.

Quick question...

We are cruising at the end of the month and do not have a credit card to give to Royal Carribbean to link to our card to make purchases on board. I called the cruiseline to inquire about how we could use cash- whether we would give them a deposit ahead of time, etc. They didn't give me a very clear answer, and I'm wondering if any of you have cruised recently and would have a better answer. We have a secure credit card with a couple hundred dollar limit (not a high enough limit for the week).

Not sure if it's best/possible to bring them say $1000 at the beginning, basically charge against that, and pick up anything that's left at the end? Or, to give them the credit card number, and go pay it off in cash every couple days so it never goes over it's limit?

Any thoughts? Your help is very much appreciated!:)

We have completed our Setsail pass for cash only,on several cruises this year & last, cuts out any fraudlent use at the dock side of your credit/debit cards, & many times they have asked for a card, but politely set ,it is cash,

then on board register a card at guest relations

Yes, we were permitted up to $500 spend on the Brilliance a few weeks ago.

I prefer this as it does away with any arguments about exchange rates on a UK credit card.

The main reason I set up a cash accounts on our last few cruises and settled it in cash was that I had $US purchased when the $CAD was worth more than the $US. The $CAD is now valued at less than $0.80US so I will again be doing this on our this month's Radiance cruise. You can always settle a cash account with a credit card and this avoids the possibility of RC billing your card in it's home currency with the automatic billing, against your instructions given during the embarkation process. This is done as an actual manual billing thus you get a receipt for a $US payment.

I've checked out the tutorial for the on line check in where you can print your Set Sail Pass before leaving for the port. This definitely has the option to set up a Cash SeaPass account.

I have emailed RCI to confirm the process and what restrictions, if any, there are if using a cash based SeaPass account and what amount do they recommend for a 7 day cruise for 2 adults.

I'll let you know what response I get from my email.

As others on here who use cash accounts have stated - it pretty much follows RCI on-line guidelines. Your response to your email should be the same.

We have completed our Setsail pass for cash only,on several cruises this year & last, cuts out any fraudlent use at the dock side of your credit/debit cards, & many times they have asked for a card, but politely set ,it is cash,

then on board register a card at guest relations

Kind of confused about the dockside fraud. Is there something going on the rest of us have not heard about?

I would not use cash but instead would obtain another credit card with a higher limit to use on the cruise.

(If there is some reason why you are unable to qualify for one on your own, a friend or family member could co-sign to guarantee the account if necessary.)

There are a number of reasons why paying with a credit card is highly preferable to paying with cash.

1) When you put a payment on a credit card, you receive cash back or airline miles or future cruise credits or points towards awards of various kinds, depending on which type of reward you select.

When you pay in cash, you receive nothing in return except a receipt.

2) If your cash is lost or stolen, it is gone.

If your credit card is lost or stolen, you only need to notify the company and you lose nothing. They issue you another card with a different account number. You are not liable for any unauthorized charges on the original card. Furthermore, you have no bulky wad of cash to carry around or worry about.

3) In case you ever need to dispute a charge, you have the protection of the credit card company. Just notify them that you are disputing an unjust charge and you do not pay anything while the matter is in dispute. If it is resolved in your favor, you never pay it at all, or if you have already paid it, the amount will be reversed and credited back to you.

If you pay cash, you are out the money and are left to try to recover the disputed amount from the merchant entirely on your own.

Besides, you receive a statement showing all your charges, credits and payments each month so you can see exactly where your money goes. Some even send a handy end-of-year summary for your records that lists your expenses and payments for the entire year, nicely organized and all together in one statement.

The convenience of using the credit card costs you absolutely nothing as long as you pay off the balance by the due date each month. If you travel a lot and are concerned about a bill coming due while you are away or the mail being slow, you can set it up to be paid automatically on the due date. That way you never incur late fees and it never hurts your credit rating.

P.S. In case you are wondering, the answer is no. I do not work for a credit card company.

A number of those arguments are only applicable if you live in the US. For all of the people living in other countries cash is much better because RCI tends to take people to the cleaners on exchange rates. They REALLY like to tack on exchange fees which are not reasonable, whether you want them to or not.

Everyone that said yes you can use cash is correct.

When I got my seapass card the agent asked for my credit card. I told her I was using cash. She told me that I needed to go to Guest Relations after I got on board to put a deposit down on my account. I was on a 7 day cruise and put down, I think, $400. You can check your account at any time in your room on the television. That's a good thing to do if you think you may be pushing your limit! The night before we got off I went back to Guest Relations and settled my account. I think I got back around $50.

Thank you. Maybe I'll give them the credit card, and then plan on paying it off in cash. If I'm not mistaken, they don't actually charge your card until the end of the cruise, right? So, in theory, I could give them my credit card number, and then pay it off the last night in cash. Would they have any way of knowing that the credit card number I'm giving them has a very low (too low!) limit?

Sorry for all the questions- I'm new to the world of credit cards!

BTW, nomarfan, Nomar is my favorite player of all time! (notice the 5 in my user name :D)

I was going to ask you about that as DH insists that I am the only fan Nomar has and one of the few ever. He's just jealous that he didn't pick him as his favorite player first. :D I tried to get tickets for all the Oakland games but all that was left were tickets to stand which I am NOT doing. I'll have to settle for watching him on TV. At least he's playing with a team that plays the Sox this year!

what about a debit card?

Just something to check on your debit card - my bank automatically puts a limit on their debit cards of $500 per day. So if I have a charge over $500, it won't go through. I can call my bank to increase that limit but that limit is in place to protect you if your card is stolen. That's another thing, if your debit card or debit number (as mine was) are stolen, you have to notify the bank. My bank isn't open 24 hours like the credit card company is so someone could be charging away on your bank account while you wait for the bank to open so you can notify them. I've been through it and it is a miserable situation and is nowhere near as easy to deal with as it is with a credit card. And you are without that stolen money until the bank reverses the charges (if they do). I was lucky and my bank gave me back the money but it was about a week before that happened. I would strongly suggest using a credit card or pay with cash. We bring travelers checks.

"they won't let disembark until you settle up your account one way or another." - Thanks for the great idea on how to extend my cruise vacation! :D

Archived