How old is the Volendam crowd, they have 30 wheelchairs

Italian Nancy

Beats me how anyone would know how many wheelchairs any ships may or may not have but, IMO, the demographics on HAL are exactly the same as Princess and Celebrity when you compare apples to apples.

For a ten days cruise, right away you have an older crowd than a seven day cruise. In the Caribbean when school is in session, you will have few young families. Holidays and school vacations, you'll have lots of young folks on all the major cruiselines. Older folks can cruise longer and often have more 'discretionary income' to spend on cruising. Younger working people do not have as much free time.

We've cruised the other lines and find exactly the same demographics for the same sort of cruise.

You'll be fine. We were on the Volendam a couple of weeks ago and there were only a dozen or so folks in wheelchairs and about 4 on motorized scooters. Granted, a number with canes, but given how rough the seas were that trip, a cane wasn't a bad deal. There were plenty of folks in their mid to late 40s and a sprinkling of folks younger than that.

On the other hand, don't automatically dismiss anyone over 55 as having one foot in the grave. Our most memorable tablemates were an absolute hoot and partied with the best of us and they were 91 and 90. We met a great group of people on our Volendam trip, 14 of them from our cruise critic get together onboard. And there was always a group of partiers in the crow's nest until it closed up.

Don't know about you, but I'll take the geriatric set any day over a bunch of kids running wild on the ship.

BTW, our group of 4 ran from 54-57 and other than crummy weather in a number of ports, we had a great time. Go to some of the game sessions like trivia, scattergories, mad gabs etc. That's a good place to meet a bunch of fun loving people.

Have a great trip and join your fellow passengers in enjoying the prunes offered every morning in the lido. *L*

Just remember, the longer the cruise, the older the guests will be onboard, this is true of any cruise line, not just HAL.

I am 47 years old and have been sailing HAL for well over 20 years. Each time I sail, there is a very different mix of guests onboard than the last time I sailed. I have met the nicest people onboard all my HAL cruises, I am sure you will as well. Your going to have the time of your life, make age just what it is, a number.

Hi, I'm 50 and use a wheelchair. I have used one for the past 5 years off and on (MS). I would like to know how you found out about the number of wheelchairs on board unless it is a group traveling together that you know of. The lines do not give out this info and many people are given H/C rooms who do not need them (after everyone has tried to sell them). If you are counting by the H/C room usuallt only one person in the cabin needs it. I travel by myself (with a group tour). In my group there is two of 140+ that use a wheelchair the other is full time and I am part time. We have three H/C cabins, the other cabin is for someone who has hearing and sight problems (does not use wheelchair but need e-cord).

On a ship of roughly 2000 people that doesnt seem unreasonable to me. Anyone at any time could sprain an ankle or something like that. Or perhaps they use a wheel chair part time at home and didnt bring it in anticipation of using one on the ship if they needed it.

I think that your assumption that they have that many wheel chairs because they will all be needed by older people is misplaced. If you are worried about being the youngest on board, invite a friend who is younger than you :D

I read the cruisecritic review of the Volendam and they tell in the first couple of paragraphs they have 30 wheelchairs available for guests to use.
Do you really consider that an inordinate quantity?

Capacity = 1440

Wheelchairs = 30

%Wheelchairs = 2.1

I read the cruisecritic review of the Volendam and they tell in the first couple of paragraphs they have 30 wheelchairs available for guests to use.

Nothing personal, seeing as I don't even know who wrote it, but just because they wrote it, it does not necessarily mean it is true or for the matter, untrue.

But, gee......they sound like fun folks. Instead of partaking of activities around the ship, their idea of what to do was 'count wheelchairs'.

Even if there are 30 (and I really don't care if there are or not), that is not such a huge number for 1,200+ pax. We have seen folks who use a wheel chair to board the ship but are never seen in one again. They have trouble standing for a long time and rather than be uncomfortable waiting to board, they request a wheelchair and they then get priority boarding.

It would not negatively impact my enjoyment in any way whatsoever for however many of my fellow pax to be in a wheelchair. But for the grace of God, it could be any of us. Are they any less interesting, any less fun?

I'm getting upset writing this message....I'd best stop.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Those wheelchairs are for people who have decided they are going to get out and enjoy life, rather than sit around home. Traveling to the ship can be difficult and tiring for the able-bodied; more so for those who don't look like the guy and gal in the Bowflex ads. A few hours off your feet can make a big difference. After that, watch out! (For those who are currently able-bodied and don't care to be looking at folks who use adaptive aids, we'll leave the light on for you...)

30 wheelchairs aboard, that scared the *&%% out of me..

Ok, I’ve got to admit I’m curious as to why that would scare the “*&%%” out of you. Are you afraid using a wheelchair is contagious??

I’m just now 50 and have happily been sailing on HAL since my 20s and NEVER given a thought as whether I was the youngest on board. Obviously, since I’ve been sailing HAL for over 30 years, it isn’t an issue for us. Actually, even on our 10-day cruise (and yes, the passengers as a whole were older) for my 40th birthday, I wasn’t the youngest on board. There was a young couple with 2 children in strollers. I imagine the toddlers were the youngest on that cruise. They seemed quite happy too.

Oh, my brother, who uses an ECV or wheelchair, hasn’t yet hit 50. He also sails on HAL. Hopefully he won’t scare the “*&%%” out of you. He, as TomC said, is out enjoying life.

This talk of wheel chairs on board the ship reminds me of our last cruise.

We arrived at FLL and boarded the bus destined for Port Everglades. A gentleman boarded the bus (un-assisted). When we arrived at the port, a wheel chair was waiting for the man.

Since he was in a wheel chair, he was whisked aboard the ship ahead of the hundreds of others waiting in line.

We "bumped" into him numerous times during the 14 day cruise. On none of those occasions did we see him a wheelchair. In fact, he was very adept at butting in the food line on the Lido deck.

ALMOST made me want to request a wheel chair next time we go to board a HAL ship.

Ok, I’ve got to admit I’m curious as to why that would scare the “*&%%” out of you. Are you afraid using a wheelchair is contagious??

I’m just now 50 and have happily been sailing on HAL since my 20s and NEVER given a thought as whether I was the youngest on board. Obviously, since I’ve been sailing HAL for over 30 years, it isn’t an issue for us. Actually, even on our 10-day cruise (and yes, the passengers as a whole were older) for my 40th birthday, I wasn’t the youngest on board. There was a young couple with 2 children in strollers. I imagine the toddlers were the youngest on that cruise. They seemed quite happy too.

Oh, my brother, who uses an ECV or wheelchair, hasn’t yet hit 50. He also sails on HAL. Hopefully he won’t scare the “*&%%” out of you. He, as TomC said, is out enjoying life.

There are different ways of looking at this.

People work hard for the money they are going to spend on a vacation. Some people prefer to be around people in there own age group. Others may prefer to vacation where less kids will be found and then there are others that age does not make a difference. There is nothing wrong with any of this.

Tom's post is absolutely correct, but wheel chairs are associated with the elderly. I did not read the OP as being negative towards people who use wheel chairs nor being afraid that using a wheel chair is contagious, but more of an age concern.

Just read the reviews on the Volendam and when they said they had 30 wheelchairs aboard, that scared the *&%% out of me.. we are a very young early 50's couple and don't want to be the youngest on board..

comments ??

The last time I went treking with a group in Tibet I was 69 and the youngsters, most in their 20's and I blended well together. When I went alone to Ethiopia last year the youngters that I met and I enjoyed each others company. I could go on and on about the other 60 or so countries I have travelled to but I think you get the idea.

It is not age in years but in heart that makes for a good cruise with your ship mates.

:cool:

Tomc,

You are right again. I have an Aunt that has probably out cruised every one on this board. She is up in her 80's, still sailing Hal, and would out dance anyone. :)

While I realize no offense was meant, I did take offense to the way it was asked. I can understand concern given HAL (undeserved IMHO) reputation. We've all seen questions asking "I'm (X) years old, will I be the youngest?", "Just HOW old will the other passengers be?", "I'm conerned about the average age of the other passengers.". But "that scared the *&%% out of me" just got to me. Old age isn't contagious and that aspect of the question is actually what I spent most of my post addressing. Not wanting to be around people (for whatever reason) in wheelchairs pushes my buttons.

Italian Nancy please continue to ask your questions. I really DO believe that there is no such thing as a dumb question.

My wife and I are early 50s. She has MS and must use a wheelchair. Hooland is geared toward that, in our experience. In any event though, we prefer the older crowd on Holland. They are more couteous than the young, in a hurry, crowd; more tolerant of my wife's wheelchair; tend to joke around and be more friendly at the dinner table; and do not crowd everyone else out of the hot tub. Then again, they aren't as shapely as the younger crowd in the hot tub (but then neither am I anymore). So, if the oldsters scare you away, fine. We enjoy their company.

Archived