Has Carnival ever cruised to St. Croix

RVman

When I served in the Navy my ship would always stop in St. Croix to conduct deep water training exercises.

The water was super clear and I would love to go back.

Has Carnival ever cruised there and if so I wonder why they stopped.:)

When I served in the Navy my ship would always stop in St. Croix to conduct deep water training exercises.

CLICK HERE

TRAVEL ADVISORY; Two Cruise Lines Cancel St. Croix Calls

By EDWIN McDOWELL

Published: Sunday, July 28, 2002

Two cruise lines owned by the Carnival Corporation have canceled scheduled calls at St. Croix in the United States Virgin Islands, citing safety concerns following crimes against passengers and crew members there.

Holland America's 1,848-passenger Zuiderdam was to make 36 weekly calls at St. Croix from December 2002 through December 2003, but early in June the line decided to replace St. Croix with St. Kitts and Nevis. A month earlier, Carnival Cruise Lines, whose Triumph and Victory were then calling at St. Croix every other week, had announced it would pull out of the island. The Victory is now calling at St. Maarten on its Eastern Caribbean voyage, while the Triumph will also substitute St. Maarten for St. Croix when it returns to the Caribbean in November.

Noting several incidents of crime, Jennifer de la Cruz, Carnival's director of public relations, said, ''the problem did not appear to be abating.''

Last December, Gordon Buck, Carnival Cruise Line's director of port operations, wrote to the tourism commissioner of the Virgin Islands, Pamela Richards, warning that Carnival Cruise Line was considering alternative ports because there had been four incidents of muggings and robberies involving its passengers and crew.

Carnival said it did not receive a response. But James A. O'Bryan Jr., a spokesman for the governor of the Virgin Islands, said there had been no delay in responding to Carnival. And a delegation of St. Croix officials, including Ms. Richards and Gov. Charles W. Turnbull, subsequently visited Carnival offices in Miami in late May. By then the cruise line had changed its itinerary, according to Ms. de la Cruz.

The 1,950-passenger Celebrity Constellation is scheduled to visit St. Croix weekly from Nov. 16 through April 19. And the 200-passenger Seabourn Legend has scheduled a stop there next March.

EDWIN McDOWELL

We went to St. Croix on Carnival Victory in March 2002. We thought it was a great island to visit.

This issue has been discussed on several threads on the St. Croix port of call board over the last several years as mentioned (and linked) above. A link to the following article was in one of those threads. It offers additional insight to Carnival's decision.

http://new.onepaper.com/stcroixvi/?v=d&i=&s=News:Local&p=52369

Thanks for the info; I remember it as having the best snorkeling of all. We would snorkel right off the pier, giant sea turtles everywhere.

Also we would open the ship up for tours for the locals and I remember the local kids would come aboard and before anyone could catch them they would run up to the foc'sle and dive in

Thanks for the links, I was there in the 80's

I remember it had cheap rum too:)

Thank You, that helps. I sure wish Carnival would reconsider it. I love taking my wife to the places I would write about while out at sea back in the day.:)

What ship and where were you stationed ?

Santa B ,and the Moose in Charleston S.C. 86' - for myself.

I was on a Mine Sweeper ( USS FIDELITY MSO 443) stationed out of Panama City Beach Fl. I stayed in Charleston SC while our ship was in the shipyard for 9 months, they put us up in a apartment complex:)

I have been to St. Croix a couple times myself back in the 80's .

I loved the Island , and the beaches , wish they would add it also , I would have to book another cruise if they did .

I was on Carnival Victory in 2001 with stops in San Juan, St. Croix and St. Thomas. St. Croix was by far my favorite. We snorkled and did a 12 mile bike tour during the day. At night there was a festival.

No doubt the best thing happened as we were walking the pier to board the ship. Dozens of jelly fish had gathered under a lampost. Amazing.

We made a late evening stop there about 2 years ago on RCCL for fuel. It add an extra port for us, but we were only there from about 8 pm until 1 am.

We never cruised to St. Croix but we have rented a condo there twice and it is absolutely my favorite place on earth. :) Near as I could tell, the crime was no worse there than anywhere else. Just as with anything, you need to use your head.

If CCL starts going there again, you can bet I'll be first in line!

That is more than ridiculous. After all the crap that's reported about Jamaica, and they're sure as heck not limiting stops THERE. JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ. :cool:

I was thinking the EXACT same thing......

Bill

We stopped in St. Croix on our Victory - March 2002 cruise and really loved it. The pier was really big. We rented a car and drove around the island. We felt very safe there so I'm not sure what the problem was. I wish Carnival would go back.

stcroixj.jpg.3c4dee3414493360238b60090120ce76.jpg

We cruised the Victory to St. Croix in 2001, and have been there many times before. It is a beautiful island, however, the crime is very, very bad. There have been numerous incidents over the years of violent crime directed towards tourists, and I applaud Carnival for leaving the island due to that crime.

In the 1970s, 8 tourists were gunned down at a resort there. The pattern continued throughout the next 3 decades. This type of crime has continued to occur in St. Croix, and it is just not a suitable island to unload 3,000+ passengers per week. It's really sad, because it truly is a beautiful island, and it's a shame that inhabitants of a US territory cannot be controlled.

I took KroozFoolz advice and visited the St Croix port of call board

Sounds as though most cruse lines are returning back to St Croix later this year. That’s great news and the most recent reviews sound really positive. I agree with the other posters, I don’t see how it could be worse than Jamaica.

Maybe someone could ask John Herald over at his blog if Carnival is next.

Cwuzwary, I know what you mean, I once told my wife that I would meet up with her on the Fantail and she looked at me like I was crazy.:)

Archived