Eastern vs Western Caribbean

Any difference? Ive been on one carnival sensation to bahamas two years ago BUT it was a local holiday and everything almost was shut down...still had fun though

im going with my brother (19) and cousin (19) and myself (21)

what would be better eastern or western caribbean...we're not into excursions or anything like that just relaxing/beach/bars etc

I have only been on Eastern so far. My Liberty in May is Western and I can't wait. This is my personal opinion, but I wasn't that impressed with the Eastern. Unless you really like to shop. We did take a catamaran ride over to St John (from St Thomas) and that was pretty fun and the water was beautiful. But St Martin didn't impress us at all. I think, for some reason since I have never been yet, that the Western will offer better beaches and bars for partying. We are stopping at Ocho Rios, Cozumel, and Grand Caymen, and I have heard they have great bars on the beach. Again, I haven't been yet, so we shall see. I am sure more people will chime in that have been to both.

Whatever you choose have a wonderful cruise!!:D

DH and I prefer the Eastern (actually the Southern) over the Western. Part of that is that we hate tendering and we had to tender at almost every port on the Western and haven't had to tender at all in the Eastern. But, either way you'd be in the caribbean on a cruise so it's all good.:)

If you're not into excursions, it probably doesn't really matter, however I will say that my 20 yr.old daughter prefers the Western. She loves Cozumel and you can take the ferry over to Playa del Carmen, her favorite place in the world. Have fun!!:D

DH and I prefer the Eastern (actually the Southern) over the Western. Part of that is that we hate tendering and we had to tender at almost every port on the Western and haven't had to tender at all in the Eastern. But, either way you'd be in the caribbean on a cruise so it's all good.:)

You know what is funny about that? I love tendering!! lol! I think it is just part of the adventure. When we did Eastern, we only had to tender at Princess Cay and I loved it. And when we did Mexico, we tendered into Cabo, and I loved it! But, again, that is just me:D:D

Our first Eastern is coming up, so I can't say for sure, but I do know that I really enjoyed lounging around on our Western cruise. Loved the Playa Uvas beach club in Cozumel. Roatan has some nice beaches. Grand Cayman and Belize are probably better excursion spots. If you go to Grand Cayman, I'd at least visit the sting rays! I recommend Moby Dick tours...smaller boat and still a relaxing time.

What is "tendering"

lol sorry

There is no big dock for the ship, so the ship anchors out a ways, and you take smaller boats from the ship over to the island. Yes, they sometimes get crowded, but for some reason, I think they are fun. Maybe I am the odd one! lol!!

If you're not into excursions, it probably doesn't really matter, however I will say that my 20 yr.old daughter prefers the Western. She loves Cozumel and you can take the ferry over to Playa del Carmen, her favorite place in the world. Have fun!!:D

Without the excursions, I'd say its the new sites to see, so do one then the other. I had fun on both and am now looking forward to the Southern, but probably not till 11 or 12.

You know what is funny about that? I love tendering!! lol! I think it is just part of the adventure. When we did Eastern, we only had to tender at Princess Cay and I loved it. And when we did Mexico, we tendered into Cabo, and I loved it! But, again, that is just me:D:D

When we went the water was pretty rough and it was really difficult getting on the tenders, esp. for the older people (dh and I were 30 and 33 at the time) It took FOREVER to get on and off. We had to tender at St. Martin before and it was no problem but our time in the Western Caribbean was horrible. I'm glad you enjoy them.:)

My wife and I prefer the Eastern, but they are both very fun. We like the Virgin Islands as our favorite place to visit.

As far as the Western routes are concerned, Grand Cayman is very nice as is Cozumel.

Eventually we would like to try the Southern routes as we hear some very nice things about them.

I have only been on Eastern so far. My Liberty in May is Western and I can't wait. This is my personal opinion, but I wasn't that impressed with the Eastern. Unless you really like to shop. We did take a catamaran ride over to St John (from St Thomas) and that was pretty fun and the water was beautiful. But St Martin didn't impress us at all. I think, for some reason since I have never been yet, that the Western will offer better beaches and bars for partying. We are stopping at Ocho Rios, Cozumel, and Grand Caymen, and I have heard they have great bars on the beach. Again, I haven't been yet, so we shall see. I am sure more people will chime in that have been to both.

Whatever you choose have a wonderful cruise!!:D

Winegirl, which week in May are you going? We're the first week.

We've only ever cruised Western and this will be our third time. We just love the ports and haven't done everything at them yet. We are not really into shopping and lying on the beach so we've avoided the Eastern route.

Been on both. I just enjoy GC and Coz better (could skip Jamaica) better than the St. Thomas/St. Martin route. Less rough seas in western the May/June cruises I've taken. But, to each his own!

There will be booze, bars, beaches and boobs :eek: on either itinerary. Perfect for 20 something year old guys!

Have fun cruzin'!

Jacquelyn :D

I would say for 3 single guys 19 and 21 who aren't into excursions...the Western would be better. All of the ports on both itineraries have beautiful beaches, but I think some of the Western ports may be a little more lively but relaxing (if that makes sense)

Winegirl, which week in May are you going? We're the first week.

We've only ever cruised Western and this will be our third time. We just love the ports and haven't done everything at them yet. We are not really into shopping and lying on the beach so we've avoided the Eastern route.

We leave the end of May, so we won't be on the same sailing. You going on the Western for the 3rd time, must mean you really like it, so I am so glad I am finally doin it! Have a great cruise and get the ship ready for us!:D

Archived