Norovirus On Current FOS ?

I'm sorry to say that RCI now seems to only care after the norovirus appears rather than actively trying to prevent it. We were on Voyager two weeks ago and NEVER saw a hand sanitizer. On all our previous cruises, they always had them as you entered the Windjammer and were encouraging you to use them. All they had this cruise were signs in the bathrooms reminding you to wash your hands!

My cynical side thinks someone did a cost analysis and decided that a few extra outbreaks (certainly some would still happen even with sanitizers easily available) was less of an effect on their bottom line than the resources to have the sanitizers always available.

Hand sanitizers do nothing to kill virus,they only work on bacteria. The cruiseline is not responsible for somebody who knows they are sick to board the ship anyway and contaminate over 100 people! You have to sign a statement saying that you are not sick and obviously someone lied! If you do get it, you should be quarantined to your room.

Hand sanitizers do nothing to kill virus,they only work on bacteria. The cruiseline is not responsible for somebody who knows they are sick to board the ship anyway and contaminate over 100 people! You have to sign a statement saying that you are not sick and obviously someone lied! If you do get it, you should be quarantined to your room.

Would you kindly list your sources for the above information? Thanks

This happened to us on OV; someone had lied on their declaration and got on board with it. They were able to trace it to one particular flight (not ours luckily!) and as soon as they found out about it it was hand sanitisers everywhere and no helping yourself to food. Luckily we were fine but I can't believe someone would get on board, knowing they were likely to inflict that on people.

This happened to us on OV; someone had lied on their declaration and got on board with it. They were able to trace it to one particular flight (not ours luckily!) and as soon as they found out about it it was hand sanitisers everywhere and no helping yourself to food. Luckily we were fine but I can't believe someone would get on board, knowing they were likely to inflict that on people.

It may have come from a worker on the ship, not necessarily from a passenger.

Isn't it possible that who ever brought it on board was not aware the he/she was really sick? Maybe it was in the early stages at the time they boarded and that person might have just disregarded the minor symptoms. If I am boarding and I have what might appear at the time to be a minor stomach ache, I probably am not thinking Norovirius or anything serious. So I highly doubt that anyone intentionally lied and boarded knowing that they have Norovirius. I would rather think since it comes on suddenly, the person(s) were not even aware.

What are the symptoms of illness caused by noroviruses?

The symptoms of norovirus illness usually include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and some stomach cramping. Sometimes people additionally have a low-grade fever, chills, headache, muscle aches, and a general sense of tiredness. The illness often begins suddenly, and the infected person may feel very sick. In most people the illness is self-limiting with symptoms lasting for about 1 or 2 days. In general, children experience more vomiting than adults.

Isn't it possible that who ever brought it on board was not aware the he/she was really sick? Maybe it was in the early stages at the time they boarded and that person might have just disregarded the minor symptoms. If I am boarding and I have what might appear at the time to be a minor stomach ache, I probably am not thinking Norovirius or anything serious. So I highly doubt that anyone intentionally lied and boarded knowing that they have Norovirius. I would rather think since it comes on suddenly, the person(s) were not even aware.

What are the symptoms of illness caused by noroviruses?

The symptoms of norovirus illness usually include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and some stomach cramping. Sometimes people additionally have a low-grade fever, chills, headache, muscle aches, and a general sense of tiredness. The illness often begins suddenly, and the infected person may feel very sick. In most people the illness is self-limiting with symptoms lasting for about 1 or 2 days. In general, children experience more vomiting than adults.

It is very possible that whomever started the outbreak did not know they were sick until they had already infected others. Reading the information from the link provided in this thread, the incubation period can range from 24 to 60 hours. That amount of time, from infection to the appearance of symptoms, would allow for someone to infect quite a few people before they even knew they were ill.

This illness seems to be running rampant at several colleges here in the Southeast as well. We have been hearing snippets of students worried about their ability to go on Spring Break while sick. You don't hear about this unless it is on a cruise ship where it makes big news (they have to have something to talk about other than the economy...). But it goes around everywhere else as the "stomach virus" and we all just shrug and go on hoping not to come down with it. It's nasty whenever it arises in a relative closed environment such as a cruise ship or college campus. Just take the normal precautions and try to stay healthy. But it would be a bummer to spend the large part of any cruise sick in any way.

-------------------------------

Sea ya!

Ron and Lee

Canton, Ga

RCCL Platinum Member

Previous Cruises

Carnival Mardis Gras - 3 Day Bahamas - April 1982

Carnival Destiny - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 1998

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - April 1999

Princess Sea Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2000

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2001

RCCL Navigator of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2003

RCCL Mariner of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 2005

RCCL Freedom of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - 6/18 - 6/25/2006

RCCL Liberty of the Seas - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - 7/19 - 7/26/08

Planned Cruises

Something in 2009 - just have not decided yet

RCCL Oasis of the Seas - April 17, 2010

The BIG One - Southeast Asia 14 day - 2011

Would you kindly list your sources for the above information? Thanks

Here is some information directly from the CDC website:

What treatment is available for people with norovirus infection?

Currently, there is no antiviral medication that works against norovirus and there is no vaccine to prevent infection. Norovirus infection cannot be treated with antibiotics. This is because antibiotics work to fight bacteria and not viruses.

I was glad to see that there were no hand sanitizers when we were on FOS two weeks ago. The hand sanitizers do not fight norovirus. If there is readily available soap and water (and there is on FOS), there is no need for hand sanitizer.

Currently, there is no antiviral medication that works against norovirus and there is no vaccine to prevent infection. Norovirus infection cannot be treated with antibiotics. This is because antibiotics work to fight bacteria and not viruses.

I was glad to see that there were no hand sanitizers when we were on FOS two weeks ago. The hand sanitizers do not fight norovirus. If there is readily available soap and water (and there is on FOS), there is no need for hand sanitizer.

I love the hand sanitizers. I am somewhat of a germaphobe and while I am aware of the limitations of sanitizers, they do make me feel better about controlling germs.

Obviously vigorous hand washing is still necessary, but I think some people try to replace hand washing with use of the sanitizers.

...I think some people try to replace hand washing with use of the sanitizers.

This is why I was glad to not see them. I completely agree that sometimes you need to use hand sanitizers. If you are camping, for example, and a lot of water is not readily available. But I never liked the idea that they were right outside of the dining establishments on cruise ships. I think they made people feel a little more secure about fighting norovirus than they should have been.

Oh well, I am glad we made it through our cruise without any norovirus! And I hope everyone else does too. :)

imo, the hand sanitizers provide a false sense of security. If it were really that easy, they would have them everywhere: in operating rooms, dentist offices, etc.

The fact is, vigorous hand washing is everyone's best bet; it is the gold standard.

Stop worrying about hand sanitizers and wash your hands.

Yes, from what I have read washing your hands as often as possible is the best way to protect yourself. But if you also use a hand sanitizer it is just a little added help. It's like Grandma's cure all Matzoh Ball soup..............It couldn't hurt.

I love the hand sanitizers. I am somewhat of a germaphobe and while I am aware of the limitations of sanitizers, they do make me feel better about controlling germs.

Obviously vigorous hand washing is still necessary, but I think some people try to replace hand washing with use of the sanitizers.

Germs yes, virus no. I think that it is good that the ships are not putting out the hand sanitzers as much as they used to. This created people to think that by using them, they were ok and they maybe did not wash with hot water and soap like they should have.

This CDC quote is totally irrelevant! The question isn't how you treat someone that has the virus (yes, antibiotics don't work just like they don't work against the common cold) its how you prevent yourself (and others) from catching the virus. My daughter is a doctor working in a Pediatric ICU and she makes me use Purelle whenever I come over to see her new baby. She's worried about the baby getting the Respitory Syndrome VIRUS. There are also dispensers in all the hospital rooms I've seen at the University of Chicago Hospital. I guess they missed your memo? The sanitizer in these dispensers is not an antibiotic, its just an alchohol solution (e.g. Purelle) to try and remove any material that could hold the virus.

I agree that washing your hand throughly is still the best solution, but 3000 people aren't going to wash just before going into the Windjammer and then remember not to use the banisters on the stairs or grab the door handle handle on leaving the bathroom. The sanitizers are clearly some help and to eliminate them as a cost savings is just silly.

... 3000 people aren't going to wash just before going into the Windjammer and then remember not to use the banisters on the stairs or grab the door handle handle on leaving the bathroom.

It's all a matter of what you are accustomed to. People need to start learning new habits. My 3 kids do this all the time.

Anybody know how long the virius remains "alive" on a stationary object such as a door handle or something of that nature. Or is it not alive until it comes in contact with a human body and then gets activated.

Archived