Embarkation Lunch-Where do you eat?

mbisson

Where do you eat lunch on embarkation day on NCL?  

236 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you eat lunch on embarkation day on NCL?

• Main Dining room
    • Buffet
    • Other
    • I'm too excited to eat!

I took the quiz and you can see my score, but I think I'm far from a perfect packer. Still working desperately to get it right. I have friends who think I over-pack, but I'll never be one of those people who can pack everything they need for 3 weeks in a knapsack! My best friend can do that for herself and her husband and kids - I will never be a good packer in her eyes. I just try to get more efficient.

For some of the questions, none of the answers really fit so maybe that skewed my result. LOL

Hey Mooder.. You gotta OWN your "perfect packer" skills!! One day, when we cruise together, you can show me the light. I will be your grasshopper and you my master! :D

Hey Mooder.. You gotta OWN your "perfect packer" skills!! One day, when we cruise together, you can show me the light. I will be your grasshopper and you my master! :D

That would be a blast! (Uh oh, pressure's on! LOL)

I took the quiz and you can see my score, but I think I'm far from a perfect packer. Still working desperately to get it right. I have friends who think I over-pack, but I'll never be one of those people who can pack everything they need for 3 weeks in a knapsack! My best friend can do that for herself and her husband and kids - I will never be a good packer in her eyes. I just try to get more efficient.

For some of the questions, none of the answers really fit so maybe that skewed my result. LOL

I agree...cause I am not really a procrastinator...at least when it comes to packing! I pack for weeks before the sailing...but I definately overpack!

You will have to give us some lessons!

I agree...cause I am not really a procrastinator...at least when it comes to packing! I pack for weeks before the sailing...but I definately overpack!

You will have to give us some lessons!

I would not presume to give lessons. But one thing I have changed is that I used to grossly over-pack on the theory that I didn't know what mood I'd be in so I brought more outfits than I could possibly wear just in case. Now, like you, I start working on it weeks in advance by creating a chart of what I am doing each morning, afternoon and evening so I know exactly how many outfits I need. I don't bring a single extra, especially if I am flying. Cruising out of NYC, I give myself a little wiggle room for moods. :)

After lurking on here a bit before our 3/15 cruise on the Pearl, we knew we could eat in the dining room on embarkation day. When we got to the stairs leading down, a woman stopped us and told us to to proceed to the buffet. We said no, we don't want to go to the buffet and I continued to go downstairs. She said "Indigo was closed for a private party." I said no, it's open and says it we can eat there on the daily and our party continued downstairs. We got to the entrance and another woman pitsode said the buffet is open upstairs and I again said no and we walked in. The hostess inside then said the buffet was open (hello!! we are already inside?!?!?!) and we again said we wanted to eat here and she tried to show us the menu. I said it's fine and again, we want to eat here and then were seated in the nearly empty restaurant. Then, our waitress tried to say there was no iced tea, despite us seeing another table drinking it.

This was the absolute worst 1st impression a crew could give. Yes, I expected some issues based on what I read here, but if they are going to have the place open, and clearly plenty of staff was just standing around since there were no customers, why would you try so hard to discourage people from going, including flat out lying by saying there is a private party?!? It really made no sense and it put a bad taste in our group's mouth as that's not the way you want to start the cruise.

After lurking on here a bit before our 3/15 cruise on the Pearl, we knew we could eat in the dining room on embarkation day. When we got to the stairs leading down, a woman stopped us and told us to to proceed to the buffet. We said no, we don't want to go to the buffet and I continued to go downstairs. She said "Indigo was closed for a private party." I said no, it's open and says it we can eat there on the daily and our party continued downstairs. We got to the entrance and another woman pitsode said the buffet is open upstairs and I again said no and we walked in. The hostess inside then said the buffet was open (hello!! we are already inside?!?!?!) and we again said we wanted to eat here and she tried to show us the menu. I said it's fine and again, we want to eat here and then were seated in the nearly empty restaurant. Then, our waitress tried to say there was no iced tea, despite us seeing another table drinking it.

This was the absolute worst 1st impression a crew could give. Yes, I expected some issues based on what I read here, but if they are going to have the place open, and clearly plenty of staff was just standing around since there were no customers, why would you try so hard to discourage people from going, including flat out lying by saying there is a private party?!? It really made no sense and it put a bad taste in our group's mouth as that's not the way you want to start the cruise.

That is absolutely crazy! Did you complain? I can see why it would leave a bad taste in your mouth.

That would REALLY tic me off - I truly hope you complained. I can understand them wanting to steer people to the buffet (if that's the policy) but out and out lieing to discourage people is really inappropriate.

That is absolutely crazy! Did you complain? I can see why it would leave a bad taste in your mouth.

No we didn't bother bringing it up to anyone. We had just gotten on the ship and really just wanted to move on and enjoy ourselves. It definitely rubbed us the wrong way but we just didn't bother. Obviously employees are instructed to direct people to the buffet but I just don't see the need to "lie" and do everything possible for us to not make it to a table....especially considering the fact that they did have a very fully staffed dining room - they were just standing around doing nothing since so few people were dining.

I only wish we could eat in the dining room after boarding! James said a couple of weeks ago they have closed the Skyline on the first day! Bummer!

Oh my! I hope this isn't a change that goes fleetwide :eek:

No we didn't bother bringing it up to anyone. We had just gotten on the ship and really just wanted to move on and enjoy ourselves. It definitely rubbed us the wrong way but we just didn't bother.

Sometimes it's better to be happy than right, so I probably would have done as you did

Ok, maybe this is a dumb question :confused: what is an embarkation lunch? I am assuming that it is the meal when you first get on the ship but I don't think that our cruise leaves until 5pm. I am new to cruising and will be leaving on my first May 25th on the NCL Sky. I am so excited, but still learning all about it.

Ok, maybe this is a dumb question :confused: what is an embarkation lunch? I am assuming that it is the meal when you first get on the ship but I don't think that our cruise leaves until 5pm. I am new to cruising and will be leaving on my first May 25th on the NCL Sky. I am so excited, but still learning all about it.

You are correct. If you board early enough, they will be serving lunch. To us, it's almost like an official "the vacation has started" meal :D

I voted other, but should have voted MDR as we usally have lunch in Cagneys. (voted first THEN read your post mbission):o

Does Cagney's serve different items for lunch than the Main dining room or wouldn't you know since you are only eating in one and don't know what was served in the other?

I know they have different breakfast options in Cagney's and of course Dinner but what about lunch, same things or different, anyone ?

The day you board is your first day that you are paying for, board early. Most times they start boarding by 11:30 and you can be on by noon. Also in no case should you be arriving later than two hours before your sailing time. if you are not on 90 min before you won't be getting on at all.

So as I say arrive early.

Can someone explain how it works with eating in Cagney's throughout the cruise? We've never been in a suite before, but will be this time and I'm seeing here and there on these boards that suite passengers can eat in Cagney's without the surcharge. When, how often and is it for ALL suites?

Thanks!

Otherwise, to answer the poll - except for our first cruise, we always eat in the main dining room for lunch on embarkation day. And we have also been encouraged to go to the buffet when entering the MDR. But it wasn't a persistant thing - just one mention that the buffet is open.

We've never had lunch in the main dining room...it's always been the buffet or poolside BBQ. Sooner or later I have to try it! ;).

One time we boarded so late (the Noordam cruise at around 3PM for a 4PM sailaway) that we skipped eating lunch for fear of ruining dinner!

Can someone explain how it works with eating in Cagney's throughout the cruise? We've never been in a suite before, but will be this time and I'm seeing here and there on these boards that suite passengers can eat in Cagney's without the surcharge. When, how often and is it for ALL suites?

Thanks!

Otherwise, to answer the poll - except for our first cruise, we always eat in the main dining room for lunch on embarkation day. And we have also been encouraged to go to the buffet when entering the MDR. But it wasn't a persistant thing - just one mention that the buffet is open.

That is incorrect, Suite passengers can eat Breakfast and Lunch there with no surcharge, no one else can eat those meals there period. Dinner is open to all and ALL pay the surchage. You can order to have dinner served in your Suite from the specialty places but you STILL pay the surcharge.

That is incorrect, Suite passengers can eat Breakfast and Lunch there with no surcharge, no one else can eat those meals there period.

more of a comma than a period (I got on the VIP list once from a ocean view cabin & could eat there) :D

Hi, Hikini! Breakfast and lunch are available in Cagney's at no cost for all full suite passengers. Sorry but mini-suites are not included. The Pearl has over 130 mini-suites!:eek:

Archived