Tipping on CCL?

Specter

Hey guys-

I've read the CCL Tipping Policy (http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Gratuities_Tips.aspx). I'd like to hear what most of you have to say about this.

I'm normally a 20% tipper, as long as I receive great service. I've had a cruise or two where we were just treated like dirt (room stewards, dining staff, etc). I never knew you could go to the purser's desk and reduce the tip for those people. Has anyone done this? How difficult was it to do? Did the purser's desk argue about it, or politely agree with no hassles? Again, I would ONLY do it if we had horrible service. I realize these workers live for the tips, and have families, etc etc. But- there are circumstances where they just DO NOT deserve it.

Does anyone automatically reduce their tip right away, just to save money? Does anyone flat out NOT TIP every cruise?

I plan on tipping my room steward the first day, to insure we get awesome service (and a few perks!) I've only tipped the Maitre' De ONCE or TWICE, all the other times I never saw them, never met them, etc. I'd love to hear some chatter on this topic- just want to be prepared for the upcoming trip and on our tight budget.

We always tip at least the minimum and more to those who gave really good service. The only exception to this is when we haven't used the main dinning room, we go to the matr d (sp?) the first day and let them know we will not be using the dinning room and they can release our table to someone else. We then tip the people who help us in the buffet

Hey guys-

I've read the CCL Tipping Policy (http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Gratuities_Tips.aspx). I'd like to hear what most of you have to say about this.

I'm normally a 20% tipper, as long as I receive great service. I've had a cruise or two where we were just treated like dirt (room stewards, dining staff, etc). I never knew you could go to the purser's desk and reduce the tip for those people. Has anyone done this? How difficult was it to do? Did the purser's desk argue about it, or politely agree with no hassles? Again, I would ONLY do it if we had horrible service. I realize these workers live for the tips, and have families, etc etc. But- there are circumstances where they just DO NOT deserve it.

Does anyone automatically reduce their tip right away, just to save money? Does anyone flat out NOT TIP every cruise?

I plan on tipping my room steward the first day, to insure we get awesome service (and a few perks!) I've only tipped the Maitre' De ONCE or TWICE, all the other times I never saw them, never met them, etc. I'd love to hear some chatter on this topic- just want to be prepared for the upcoming trip and on our tight budget.

That being said. I have not and will not remove my autotips but I will tip more and have done it many times. I was told by a steward one time that tipping him at the begining gives him the impression that if I did I expected better service and that was not the case, he would give the same service to everyone with or without it. However, if he does something extra it would be nice. I usually tipped half way through because he was always doing little extras. I only tipped the Maitre d once as she helped change our table. Otherwise I never saw them until the end of the cruise schoozing with everyone.

Remvoing autotips is easy - all you have to do is go to pursers desk and request it. They will ask why because they want to know if something was wrong but they do not give you a hard time from what I have heard but will give the staff a hard time. Generally, those who remove autotips and say they will tip on their own don't and stiff the staff. Those who remove it because of poor service I think would be hard to please at the best of times. There are those who remove it for legitimate reasons and have every right to do so. I make sure that the tipping is budgeted for just like excursions etc. These people earn every penny and more. I will tell you honestly - I would NOT like to walk a mile in their shoes - it would be hard work.

LOL. No, but I find, especially with the Room Stewards- a little $20 up front will assure them that you WILL take care of them, if they take care of you.

I've heard of people going the first day, taking the auto tip off their account, and then tipping those employees individually with cash throughout the cruise. Does anyone do this? What's your thoughts about it?

nexies back,

I have never removed tips nor would i.

That being said , we would not tip extra if the service was not up to standards. If my room is clean and tidied up every day ,Steward has done his job. If i recieve my food in a timely mannor and it's not cold ,The wait staff has done their job.

as for the maitre 'D ,If he has done something for us he will get a tip from us.

As someone who has waited tables There is one thing i would like to stress to everyone .

If your food is not done or over done or you don't like it and have to send it back .It comes back and it's still not right.

Please , DON'T take this out on the wait staff by reducing / removing their tip.

They do not cook the food , They only deliver it.

Your wait staff will try to make each dining experiance something to remember and usually they succeed in a great way.

If you don't like a fun time w/ great food and good folks then you may want to eat at the supper club or in room .

No, I completely agree. I've seen how hard they work, and value their time/effort. I'm just curious- got into a discussion with some first time cruisers the other night about tipping. It got me thinking about all this.

Let's say someone removed the auto tip the first or second day. They report to the purser that they don't have any problems, just prefer not to auto tip. Does that get immediately reported to say, the room steward or dining server so that they 'may not' give them as good of service for the remainder of the week? Would it be awkward around the room steward if he knew you removed the auto-tip? Or your dining room server? Or would they not know until the end of the cruise?

That being said. I have not and will not remove my autotips but I will tip more and have done it many times. I was told by a steward one time that tipping him at the begining gives him the impression that if I did I expected better service and that was not the case, he would give the same service to everyone with or without it. However, if he does something extra it would be nice. I usually tipped half way through because he was always doing little extras. I only tipped the Maitre d once as she helped change our table. Otherwise I never saw them until the end of the cruise schoozing with everyone.

Remvoing autotips is easy - all you have to do is go to pursers desk and request it. They will ask why because they want to know if something was wrong but they do not give you a hard time from what I have heard but will give the staff a hard time. Generally, those who remove autotips and say they will tip on their own don't and stiff the staff. Those who remove it because of poor service I think would be hard to please at the best of times. There are those who remove it for legitimate reasons and have every right to do so. I make sure that the tipping is budgeted for just like excursions etc. These people earn every penny and more. I will tell you honestly - I would NOT like to walk a mile in their shoes - it would be hard work.

I have also heard that tipping in advance is considered an insult. They think you are trying to buy better service. Good room stewards say they provide the same excellent service to all their guests.

I'm confused. You've got two threads on the first page stating how you're on a budget and times are tough yet you want to throw money at your room steward in order to get better service?...

We always pre-pay our tips and never remove or reduce them.

We tip extra cash to the room steward, room service, a special bartender (if we find one on that particular cruise), and the Maitre'd (if he gets us our requested table for 2).

Rookie mistake I made many years ago... didn't realize there was the auto-tip in place. I tipped MORE than the suggested amount, including the maitre'd at the end, in cash. So we paid more than DOUBLE the amount, and I assure you, we didn't receive that great of service. Oh well- my mistake, it all comes around.

Yes, I am on a budget- but am asking questions for my entire party who is asking me, the 'Veteran Cruiser' a bunch of questions- which, I'm bringing here. My FIL is old school, he tips in cash, sometimes in advance to people like a 'room steward' or 'concierge' or whatever. He believes he gets better service for that. My SIL/BIL are complete tight wads and are upset about the auto tipping. They WILL tip, but have a hard time with a pre-set tip amount in place before they receive the service. I'm just asking questions for everyone in my party, as I don't know the answers.

I've heard of people going the first day, taking the auto tip off their account, and then tipping those employees individually with cash throughout the cruise. Does anyone do this? What's your thoughts about it?

My thoughts are that those who remove the tips the first day are usually the liars who say they are going to pay in cash and then spend their money and have nothing left to tip, so skip out to the buffet the last night at dinner.

If you remove the tips, and tip in cash, the person receiving the tips has to tell Carnival that they received cash. So, what is the point? Does it help your ego to feel you have done something? To me, it is just a waste of time to wait in line at the purser's desk to accomplish the same thing in the end.

The system was put in place for a reason. I do have to say we do tip extra the last night and that is in cash. I am hoping that at some point the tips will be changed to being called a service charge and that it can't be removed without a valid reason--handing out cash the last night is not a valid reason.

Or ask questions when someone beats around the bush rather than just say they don't want to tip.

Agree! Carnival should open a special line at purser, call it "Tip Adjustments"! Wouldnt that be fun to watch! LMAO

the tipping issue is similar to the drink coupon issue: do you want to budget for now, or for when you get on the ship?

neither is a cash-saving technique. to the sister who is a tightwad, if she does not like to pay in advance, then fine. what will happen is that the gratuity will be charged to her on-board account, payable after she has recieved her services. being as her point of contention is that she does not want to pay first, then this option is a fair one. no need contemplating turning off that charge. pay it. only consider changing the autotip if service is an absolute disaster. DISASTER. to the point where a comedy routine could be drafted that would make others laugh. here is not an area to save $10 or $20. there are areas of PERSONAL scale down that would be more appropriate - such as not doing something as expensive in port, or not drinking as much, or not getting that hairdo or massage.

i assume she likes an honest day's wage for an honest day's work. she may need reminding that she should not deal with others any differently.

My FIL is old school, he tips in cash, sometimes in advance to people like a 'room steward' or 'concierge' or whatever. He believes he gets better service for that. My SIL/BIL are complete tight wads and are upset about the auto tipping. They WILL tip, but have a hard time with a pre-set tip amount in place before they receive the service. I'm just asking questions for everyone in my party, as I don't know the answers.

I would just tell them tips are part of the expense of cruising. Your FIL can buy some stock in Carnival and cover most of the cost of the tips, or buy a next cruise certificate and it might hurt less.

I dont think anyone likes to tip and the extra money counts no matter whom you are in this tight economy, but I just dont even think about removing tips when Im planning to go, its part of the estimated cost. I dont find the amount unreasonable when you break it down per day for the service you get. In fact the amount is very low compared to many other cruiselines. $12.50 base per day on celebrity. I think $13 a day on Cunard base, etc. more if you have a suite or higher level category. A CC balcony on Celebrity they add $13.00 per day etc.

We leave the auto tips in place. In 3 cruises, we've had great service from our cabin stewards and dining room waiters. 2 cruises, we tipped extra cash to the steward and our wait team in the dining room.

I no longer tip the Maitre D' automatically either. First cruise...never saw him but tipped because I thought we were "supposed" to. Second cruise...he was very friendly and stopped by our table each night so I tipped him. Third cruise....he wasn't friendly so no tip. We have never had a special request for the Maitre D' but if I ever did, then I would tip him (like if you ask to be moved to a different seating or different table).

I would never do this. I always leave the auto tips in place and tip extra at the end of the cruise if I have received good service. If I were on a tight budget I would find somewhere else to cut back-maybe on excursions or fewer on-board purchases. I would rather not cruise at all, than remove tips from the hard working people who make the cruise such a memorable experience. I don't know how many hours a day they work, but I've seen my waiters in the Lido buffet at all hours.

Let's say someone removed the auto tip the first or second day. They report to the purser that they don't have any problems, just prefer not to auto tip. Does that get immediately reported to say, the room steward or dining server so that they 'may not' give them as good of service for the remainder of the week? Would it be awkward around the room steward if he knew you removed the auto-tip? Or your dining room server? Or would they not know until the end of the cruise?

There have been numerous reports on this board that they do get this information. In addition, it's been reported that this sets up a problem for your dining staff or room stewards. Carnival assumes that if the tips are removed, they are not providing good service and it affects their performance rating.:(

Agree! Carnival should open a special line at purser, call it "Tip Adjustments"! Wouldnt that be fun to watch! LMAO

We could set up a viewing area, sit around with drinks in our hands and watch the tip removers. Maybe make them think twice. I would only do this for the ones who remove on the first day. Others may have their specific, valid reasons - and I believe there are some. I agree with the poster who says that the name should be changed from autotip to service charge. I don't feel autotipping is entirely voluntary (you have to go through the effort to take it off but not add it on) and that what tipping is.

wow- such a huge response soo quickly. I really don't think it's appropriate for calling people 'cheap' or 'tightwads' or whatever. You don't know them, you don't know their belief systems, and who are you to judge/criticize someone that you've never met? Relax, I'm just asking simple questions on behalf of others. I've already stated that I am a standard 20% tipper, and have NO intentions of removing my tips. In fact, we're budgeting for ADDITIONAL tips- even tho we're on a budget. So let's be mature, and have a civillized conversation please. I'm not insulting or attacking anyone here- no reason to get fiesty ;) BTW- how many of you, especially the ones getting soo defensive, tip your HOTEL MAIDS when you check out of a hotel? Or when you leave the room for the day? 95% of people don't tip them ANYTHING. How many of you tip your HOSTESS at Applebee's? I'd say 99% of you don't. Or the Applebee's Manager? You ever tip them? Don't they perform the same tasks as the Maitre'd? Just curious...

Now- back on topic. If someone complains, or removes a tip early in the cruise- does that server get notified? Will it be held against the passenger for the remainder of the week?

Is the concensus that tipping the room steward EARLY considered an insult? Personally, I would love if someone tipped me early. That would be a compliment, don't you think?

My SIL/BIL are complete tight wads and are upset about the auto tipping. They WILL tip, but have a hard time with a pre-set tip amount in place before they receive the service.

wow- such a huge response soo quickly. I really don't think it's appropriate for calling people 'cheap' or 'tightwads' or whatever. You don't know them, you don't know their belief systems, and who are you to judge/criticize someone that you've never met? Relax, I'm just asking simple questions on behalf of others. I've already stated that I am a standard 20% tipper, and have NO intentions of removing my tips. In fact, we're budgeting for ADDITIONAL tips- even tho we're on a budget. So let's be mature, and have a civillized conversation please. I'm not insulting or attacking anyone here- no reason to get fiesty ;) BTW- how many of you, especially the ones getting soo defensive, tip your HOTEL MAIDS when you check out of a hotel? Or when you leave the room for the day? 95% of people don't tip them ANYTHING. How many of you tip your HOSTESS at Applebee's? I'd say 99% of you don't. Or the Applebee's Manager? You ever tip them? Don't they perform the same tasks as the Maitre'd? Just curious...

Now- back on topic. If someone complains, or removes a tip early in the cruise- does that server get notified? Will it be held against the passenger for the remainder of the week?

Is the concensus that tipping the room steward EARLY considered an insult? Personally, I would love if someone tipped me early. That would be a compliment, don't you think?

uhm... YOU called them tightwads, babe. just using your own descriptive terminology to further clarify who we are talking about.

i think that the post that should be payed the MOST attention to in all of this is the one which conveyed that those employees who have their tips removed may face consequences during their performance rating. the consensus is that you are doing them no favor at all by doing this, and may be making it difficult for them to attain a raise down the road. how can that possibly be a favor?

nor did i get the feel that anyone is "offended" if gratuities are pre-paid. the sentiment was passed that the staff will take care of you no matter if you pre-pay or pay after. i do not think that the sentiment angle is a valid one to justify removing gratuities for.

No, I think tipping on the first day indicates that you do not think the person will do their job, it is an insult.

Just how did on land tipping get into this mix? You asked about talking about taking off or not taking off tips for a cruise.

I always pre-pay my tips and if someone goes beyond, I always tip extra on the last day.

Are you a first time cruiser on CCL? If so, to question about tipping before you even get on the ship, very suspect even if you always give 20% on land.

No, read my signature. Been on CCL twice- just was a while ago, I don't remember how it went. Things change, and I was young ;)

I see your point, and agree. Removing the tips ahead of time is just causing problems, and yes, can be the sign of someone not intending to tip at all (it wouldn't surprise me if my BIL/SIL did that!). I also see the point about it 'possibly' being an insult to tip upfront (although, the auto tip is doing that anyways).

I brought up the on-land tipping to make my point. There's those who attack & criticize everyone for bringing up the tipping question. The on-land tip question was to make them take a hard look at how they are before they criticize others. No one's perfect. I'm reading other 'tipping' threads now, and they can get pretty ugly. Let's just drop it and move forward here before this gets ugly as well. ;)

I've read of people giving 'gifts' to workers at the end of the trip- pre-paid phone cards, etc. Does anyone do this too? What are examples of gifts you give your workers?

Removing tips is a hot button issue here on cc. I was actually thinking that the responses you received so far were pretty tame. Now that you have thrown down the gauntlet, so to speak, that will probably change. Not a criticism of you or your family, but people who don't tip adequately in land based restaurants are also considered by most to be tightwads, so it's no wonder that the same attitude prevails on a cruise board.

And yes, I do tip hotel maids each morning when I leave my room. I tip each day since the same person may not be on duty throughout my stay. That way I ensure the person giving me the service receives the tip.

I do not tip the hostess or manager at Applebees or any other local restaurant, because this is not expected and they do not depend on tips to make their salaries. They are paid wages above those that the servers receive. Most servers receive about $2 per hour and depend on tips to make a living wage. For the same reason, many cruisers here do not tip the maitre d', unless he has provided service above and beyond what is expected.

Just my 2 cents, but if you ask for opinions, don't be surprised if people express some that give an answer contrary to the answer you wanted to receive.;)

Jeanie-

I agree with you. I read on here that the Maitre'd is on a 'captain's salary' and then with tips added in, they make BANK. Not sure if that's true or not.

Again, not trying to have an argument here- just an open and respectful conversation... ;)

Specter, nice thing about Carnival, it also states tipping is not mandatory. Not sure what answer you want. I think auto tip has helped service decline, over the years. I prefer the old way, tip envelopes which we passed out on last night. We gave to whom what we wanted! That is what we do at restaurants, hotels etc. I dont care who stiffs who, not my business, and I think how much we tip is our business, not others on a board.

But damn, it sure is fun to stir the pot on this issue!!

Archived