Rocking on Princess

Proudmom1120

I have never sailed on Princess before and I am also worried about all the rocking reviews I have read about the Caribbean Princess. We sail May 10, 2009 so I hope the seas are calm that week!

I've read the same thing. We sailed on her twice and only experienced it one night when there was a storm. Unless they've changed her dramatically, you should be fine! Have fun!:D

Does anyone think the 'rocking' reports are due to a general increase in rough seas of late?

Possibly! Or also maybe the fact there are many more first time or second time cruisers now that forget that the ship is going to move. I will never forget a couple of first hand reports here on CC that complained loudly that they didn't realize the ship would 'move' on their cruise, and they were very unhappy about it. :eek: No joke, they weren't kidding, they were absolutely horrified that the ship dare move on their voyage.

There are certain itinearys that have considerably more motion then others, such as sailing from LA to Hawaii. First couple of days out and returning rarely are smooth sailing, but a lot of rockin and rollin because of the sea conditions there.

Now in Janauary in the Southern Caribbean, we had very very smooth seas, and barely noticed we were on a ship. I like to know I am on a cruise, so movement is part of the fascination of the entire experience.

If you read the posts here on CC, you will see a lot of first timers will be sailing soon (over spring break), and each year many return complaining of the movement of the ship. Many new cruisers write reviews, and they mention the movement in those reviews. Happens during certain times almost every year. ;)

I'm trying to convince my friends to join us on a cruise. She is worried about sea sickness. I can't truthfully tell her that she won't be ill. A short Med cruise might be the best option as that was as smooth as silk.

I miss the ship's motion when back on land. I didn't like all the accompanying juddering last time on the Emerald though. Not had that before. :(

But I honestly have seen passengers turn absolutely green even during calm seas

See, I AM one of those people who do turn green. But I know that and I would never complain. (I also get sick on planes and driving in a car. Hey it's the ocean what do you expect? I prepare as much as I can. I pick a central and low cabin, the sea sick pill a day or two before.

I'll still get sick the first day, but then I am good after that. I still have fun!:D

Bet you hate traveling to Japan then!

I'll let you know in October!

Believe it or don't we had an earthquake here. I had a rubber penguin on top of the TV & it started jiggling...I was about to rebuke the dog when we realized he wasn't big enough to shake the whole house.

Steve

You know, it's not unknown for some passengers to be shocked, absolutely shocked, when they feel any movement at all and somehow blame the design of the ship as though it should be a land-based Marriott that overnight is transporting them from point A to point B. Personally, I think it's a lot of nonsense; you're on a ship, on the ocean or sea, and weather happens.

You also see people compare one ship with another and say, "It didn't look that bad to me" not taking into account that a ship's movement is dependent on so many variables that you literally can't compare one to another. Wind speed and direction, current speed and direction, wave height and direction, ship's ballast, etc. all contribute to how much movement you'll feel on a ship. Also, one person's movement is another person's flat seas. A year ago, I went to a Cruise Critic brunch and thought there was a little bit of movement but was startled when I heard some people couldn't make the brunch because "there was so much rocking and rolling they were sick and couldn't move from their bed."

Princess ships don't rock or roll any more than most other cruise ships. They are designed to be as stable as possible.

its possible that you find some ships are rooking more as the Diamond and her sister ship are called flat bottom ships ,as the Island and Coral are not.

See, I AM one of those people who do turn green. But I know that and I would never complain. (I also get sick on planes and driving in a car. Hey it's the ocean what do you expect? I prepare as much as I can. I pick a central and low cabin, the sea sick pill a day or two before.

I'll still get sick the first day, but then I am good after that. I still have fun!:D

Not sure what you take, or do, to prevent seasickness, but have you ever tried taking something beginning a day or so before you board, as perscribed on the bottle (not just one pill, but every few hours as perscribed)? I have had friends with the same problem, and this really helps them to get their 'sea legs' and keeps them from being ill that first day or so. Good luck! I hope you find a way to prevent this in the future, that sounds miserable to know you will be sick the first day after boarding.

I'm trying to convince my friends to join us on a cruise. She is worried about sea sickness. I can't truthfully tell her that she won't be ill. A short Med cruise might be the best option as that was as smooth as silk.

I would not want to convince anyone sailing with me on anything.

You present the possibilities and leave it at that.

Ships rock and evryone handles that differently.

its possible that you find some ships are rooking more as the Diamond and her sister ship are called flat bottom ships ,as the Island and Coral are not.
The Coral and Island Princess are what are called "Panamax" ships, designed to go through the Panama Canal. That means they are much narrower at the waterline than the Grand-class ships but are actually almost as wide, 105' vs. 118'. Marine architects take all of that into consideration when designing ships and compensate for height, width, draft, etc.

In a way you are right. If you've ever followed the Ameria's Cup boats and races, you know that there are very specific specs that must be followed when designing/building these boats yet they are each different and react differently according to wind and water. However, cruise ships are designed for passenger comfort, not racing, and that comfort is based on minimizing rocking and rolling.

We just got back from the Ruby and yes, we did feel some rocking especially one night more than the rest. This was our first cruise and I was a little worried about motion sickness but never had a problem.

Only on the night it was quite rough, did I have to take a Bonine and I also used the Seabands I had brought and within 5 minutes feel asleep and slept like a baby.

It is a relief knowing for future cruises motion sickness is not something I will have to be concerned about. Of course I will always go prepared just in case.

Well I filmed this just over a week ago on the Star Princess. Full review coming. We got caught in a nasty storm and it did roll a lot. This was the view from the Lobby Bar window (Deck 5, by the dining room entrance).

That said, for saying the force of the wind and the height of the waves, the ship handeled it very well.

Well I filmed this just over a week ago on the Star Princess. Full review coming. We got caught in a nasty storm and it did roll a lot. This was the view from the Lobby Bar window (Deck 5, by the dining room entrance).

That said, for saying the force of the wind and the height of the waves, the ship handeled it very well.

Thanks for that link (I think :eek:)

I just don't believe this has come up again.

If the currents move, and cross currents move, and the wind blows what is the poor ship supposed to do if it wants to get there. It has to move up and down and sideways and back and forth and on and on. It is normal and be assured the Captain will keep it as smooth as humanly possible, it's his job.:cool:

You can have strong currents in relative calm seas. San Francisco for instance.

Next we will be calling them boats and propellers again.

Never been sea sick but go prepared and you will be alright.:eek:

Jack

for the

Just want to respond to a few comments-- not all of us who think the largest Princess ships could be smoother are first, second, third time cruisers. While I realize that at 12 cruises, I am still a novice to many of you, I have taken about 9 of them in the last 2-3 years. Having gotten of the Legend of the Seas less than 3 months ago (and the NCL Gem, Celebrity Constellation, QM2 and Celebrity Century within a year of that), I am confident the shaking/vibrating motion of the Crown was not usual. While some people may exaggerate their experiences (or just be profoundly more disturbed by them), there ARE real differences between how different ships handle the water and different kinds of motion affect people differently. For instance, I like rollercoasters and I like ships rolling, but I did NOT like waking up to feel my stomach was dropping out as if on a rollercoaster in the middle of the night, which so far, has only ever happened on the Crown. I can't be sure that it's different from the Golden which we cruised in '06, but I am sure it is very different from the motion we experienced on the Golden, the Tahitian, and a slew of non-Princess ships, even in extremely poor weather conditions. Simply asserting that all ships move the same in similar weather patterns is not truthful or helpful.

[quote name='JennAngel9']Just want to respond to a few comments-- not all of us who think the largest Princess ships could be smoother are first, second, third time cruisers. While I realize that at 12 cruises, I am still a novice to many of you, I have taken about 9 of them in the last 2-3 years. Having gotten of the Legend of the Seas less than 3 months ago (and the NCL Gem, Celebrity Constellation, QM2 and Celebrity Century within a year of that), I am confident the shaking/vibrating motion of the Crown was not usual. While some people may exaggerate their experiences (or just be profoundly more disturbed by them), there ARE real differences between how different ships handle the water and different kinds of motion affect people differently. For instance, I like rollercoasters and I like ships rolling, but I did NOT like waking up to feel my stomach was dropping out as if on a rollercoaster in the middle of the night, which so far, has only ever happened on the Crown. I can't be sure that it's different from the Golden which we cruised in '06, but I am sure it is very different from the motion we experienced on the Golden, the Tahitian, and a slew of non-Princess ships, even in extremely poor weather conditions. Simply asserting that all ships move the same in similar weather patterns is not truthful or helpful.[/quote]

All I can say is that I have sailed the Crown three different times and have never experienced anything out of the ordinary while at sea on her. Do all ship move the same under similar circumstances -no but all ships move. The difference in the motion varies mostly in the opinion of the person determining the amount of motion.

Archived