Skagway reccomendations and tidepooling?

quiescentlyfrozen

Looking for any opinions here to help us plan what (if anything!) to do in Skagway, plus info on tide pools. Broken into 2 questions:

1) We will be spending 10 days in AK after disembarking in Seward. I'd love to check out tidepools for pics and beauty! Our plan right now is Aug 14-17 in Seward then Train to ANC where we pick up a car; Aug 18 (afternoon)-21 in Denali/Healy; Aug 21-24 in Fairbanks (and the 25 in Anchorage until plane at 5:30). Any reccomendations for good tide pool spots around these areas or along the way would be appreciated! Note: the two ports we don't have anything planned for on the cruise are Skagway and Icy Straight Point, so if there's good tidepooling there too let me know.

2) We've narrowed down our potential interests in Skagway to the following items offered by our ship. Any opinions by those who've taken these tours would be appreciated! Also, if anyone has a recc for a land based operator to do similar, just let me know... we just started from the ship list to get an idea of what we both - my fiance and I -- might want to do.

SK01 - White Pass Scenic Railway

PRICE: ADULT: 118.00 / CHILD: 59.00 USD

DURATION: 3 Hours 30 Minutes Approx.

Not just another train ride! Take an unforgettable journey aboard the "Scenic Railway of the World" and travel 20 miles from

tidewater, to the Summit of the White Pass - a 2,865 foot elevation!

You'll ride in restored and replica coaches as you retrace the original route to the White Pass summit, passing Bridal Veil Falls,

Inspiration Point and Dead Horse Gulch. The fully narrated tour features breathtaking panoramas of mountains, glaciers,

gorges, waterfalls, tunnels, trestles and historic sites. See the original Klondike Trail of '98 worn into the rocks, a permanent

tribute to the thousands of souls who passed this way in search of fortune. This narrow gauge railroad is an International

Historic Civil Engineering Landmark - shared with the Panama Canal, the Eiffel Tower and the Statue of Liberty. Experience this

unique railroad that symbolizes accomplishment in adventure and pioneering - of triumph over challenge.

After reaching the summit of White Pass and the boundary between the US and Canada the train returns to Skagway. Due to

climatic changes, no guarantee is given for the views available at any given time.

SK03 - Chilkoot Trail Hiking & Rafting

PRICE: ADULT: 112.00 / CHILD: 75.00 USD

DURATION: 4 Hours 30 Minutes Approx.

The Chilkoot Trail is the centerpiece of gold rush history in Skagway. It was the main route to the riches of the Klondike.

Today, the trail is a tranquil place of incredible beauty. Winding through lush rainforest, it is alive with birds, and animals and

has wild flowers and edible berries. Knowledgeable guides weave an entertaining mixture of natural history and Klondike

folklore. The trail brings you to the banks of the Taiya River, where your 18-foot raft waits. Your experienced river guide will

outfit you for your float trip that culminates at the tidal estuary where the forest gives way to fields of beach greens and wild

iris. The granite walls of the fjord rise up steeply, becoming snowcapped peaks serrated by hanging glaciers. A riverside snack

is provided before heading back to your ship in Skagway. This float trip has no white water.

Minimum age to participate is 7 years old. Expectant mothers in the third trimester of pregnancy are not permitted. The hike

covers 2 miles with an elevation gain of 700 feet. Rubber boots and a poncho are provided for the float trip; however, a warm

jacket, glove, hat and extra socks are also recommended. Hiking or sturdy walking shoes are recommended for the hike.

SK13 - Eagle Preserve Rafting Wildlife Quest

PRICE: ADULT: 199.00 / CHILD: 115.00 USD

DURATION: 7 Hours Approx.

Just outside the Southeast Alaska town of Haines, the Chilkat Valley boasts the world's largest concentration of Bald Eagles.

This journey combines a cruise on the Lynn Fjord with a float trip through the world famous Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve, one

of Alaska's most accessible wilderness treasures.

Begin with a cruise through Lynn Fjord in a motorized and heated catamaran, viewing the scenery along North America's

longest and deepest fjord. After arriving in Haines, drive through the Valley of the Eagles to the heart of the Preserve. An 18-

foot raft awaits to take you on a voyage of discovery through the braided waters of the Chilkat River system. As you float

silently along, your guide will explain the unique human and natural history of this special place. The guides are experts at

spotting the many animals that call the Preserve home including grizzly bears, wolves, moose, and of course bald eagles, and

impart a love of the land that will be yours forever! At the end of the float, a picnic-style meal is provided before the return

cruise back to Skagway to rejoin your ship. This trip has no white water. Rubber boots, and a poncho (in case of rain) are

provided. A warm jacket, layered clothing, gloves, hat and extra socks are recommended.

Minimum age to participate is 7 years old. Expectant mothers in the third trimester of pregnancy are not permitted.

PRICE: ADULT: 219.00 / CHILD: 149.00 USD

DURATION: 6 Hours 15 Minutes Approx.

Experience the world famous Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve, home of the nesting Bald Eagles and the best moose habitat in the

valley with over 1,500 moose sightings in the 2007 summer season. The Preserve is 48,000 acres of wilderness and you are able

to access the road-less portion of it, with specially designed, flat bottom, river boats and travel miles of all the different

channels of the Chilkat River. These boats are designed for this silt-laden river and the guide is able to hold against the

current or turn around and go back, to give you the best photo opportunities. The animals are undisturbed by the presence of

the boats, so bring those cameras for your wilderness adventure in the heart of the Preserve. You will be surrounded by

towering mountains, cascading waterfalls, hanging glaciers and true wilderness. Join the Hess family at their private property

for your excursion, with all modern amenities and extra jackets to keep you warm and dry on your adventure. Cook your own

hot dogs over the open barbecue pit, or campfire, and enjoy your meal in the covered, heated lunch pavilion or sit by the

campfire and visit with your hosts and fellow adventurers. You will then retrace your steps back to Skagway

SK28 - Klondike Rock Climbing & Rappelling

PRICE: ADULT: 91.00 / CHILD: 83.00 USD

DURATION: 3 Hours 15 Minutes Approx.

Join professional mountain guides for a rock climbing and rappelling adventure on the granite walls of Alaska!

After driving through historic Skagway you will hike a short distance through the rainforest to the base of the rock face. Here

you will gear up with rock climbing shoes, helmet and harness and then you're off to your adventure! Choose between over a

dozen climbing routes with each climb ending in a view of the Skagway River and the surrounding wilderness. You will also

have the opportunity to try a 70 foot rappel! Professional mountain guides are with you during all aspects of your climb and

your safety and enjoyment are always their primary concern. This adventure is ideal for those looking for a first climbing

experience, or for experienced climbers looking for a challenge.

Participants must be at least 8 years old and not more than 300 pounds. No expectant mothers. Participants need to be able to

hike several minutes over uneven terrain, and should dress in warm clothing that allows for good flexibility. Climbing shoes,

helmet, harness and all necessary climbing hardware are provided.

SK36 - Musher's Camp & Sled Dog Experience

PRICE: ADULT: 113.00 / CHILD: 113.00 USD

DURATION: 2 Hours 45 Minutes Approx.

Get a glimpse of a truly northern pastime and learn about the life of sled dogs and their musher and see these powerful dogs in

action as they pull you through the backcountry of a historic Gold Rush site. During your van ride out of Skagway, your guide

will acquaint you to the area's Gold Rush history and the present day community. Arriving at the dog camp, you will meet the

dogs and climb onto a wheeled sled that has been custom made for running during the snow-less summer months. The husky

team will whisk you along a one mile wooded trail through some of the Southeast Alaska's Temperate Rainforest. Spruce and

hemlock trees, thick spagma moss, glacially fed waterfalls and views of the Taiya Inlet Tidal flats surround you on this unique

excursion. There will be time to cuddle husky puppies and take a guided walk through the musher's camp and learn about the

equipment, hard work, and great husky strength that goes into the life of dog sledding in the wild, rugged North.

I think the best "excursion" in Skagway is to rent a car and drive into the Yukon. It is inexpensive and thoroughly enjoyable. You go at your own pace and stop when and where you want. I have pictures at this link:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/362138430EskzvC

On our last Alaska cruise we did a float trip in Haines and had a great time. The scenery was wonderful and the rafting fun. I think it is the same as the Eagle Preserve Rafting and Wildlife Quest. We were docked in Haines, however, so did not do the catamaran in the Lynn Fjord. Keep in mind, this is not white water rafting. It is a gentle float down the river. We saw very little wildlife - just a few eagles. I have pictures of the trip at this link:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/563892282TLYqqo

We really enjoyed the WhitePass railroad. We also took a helicopter flight to one of the nearby glaciers.....That was the highlight of Skagway. Breathtaking.

Whatever you choose, will be great, just remember to take in the scenery, take time to watch nature.

You might want to put "Skagway excursions" in the search box at the top. A great many suggestions and opinions will come up about what people have most enjoyed in this port. (We can't seem to make up our mind.)

I think the best "excursion" in Skagway is to rent a car and drive into the Yukon. It is inexpensive and thoroughly enjoyable. You go at your own pace and stop when and where you want. I have pictures at this link:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/362138430EskzvC

We also really liked the drive and will do it again this summer

On our last Alaska cruise we did a float trip in Haines and had a great time. The scenery was wonderful and the rafting fun. I think it is the same as the Eagle Preserve Rafting and Wildlife Quest. We were docked in Haines, however, so did not do the catamaran in the Lynn Fjord. Keep in mind, this is not white water rafting. It is a gentle float down the river. We saw very little wildlife - just a few eagles. I have pictures of the trip at this link:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/563892282TLYqqo

I enjoyed your pictures in your webshots link especially the birds and other wildlife in the everglades album

It would be a shame not to do the White Pass Railroad and/or the drive into the Yukon which are high lights for this area. There are some small tide pools out by the Smuggler’s Cove Trail at Yakutania Point in Skagway. I’m sure nothing like you’ve experienced in the past. It’s important to remember in Alaska that there are areas that contain a lot of glacial silt and mud that acts like quicksand. It’s very deceiving and you can get stuck easily while trekking out to a tide pool.

May I also recommend should you rent a car and go to the Yukon and back that you also before returning it head on out the dyea road to the slide cemetery and national park - it's on the inlet adjacent to skagway about 9 miles out - it is a truly personal and reflective experience. No one will be there, and you will visit with the ghosts of prospectors long gone. I will never forget this side trip. If you time it right, the wildflowers will blow your mind.

The road is a well maintained dirt road that the Avis lady actually told me it was fine to drive on. Like a paved road, only dirt.

http://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/upload/Dyea%20walking%20tour%20brochure-2.pdf

Chilkoot et. al: I'd read that Glacier Point and Davidson Glacier were highlights of the area, no?

Also: Can anyone comment on the "Yukon Suspension Bridge"?

Thank you.

Glacier Point and Davidson Glacier are highlights of the area, yes :)

The Yukon Suspension Bridge (which isn't in the Yukon) is very expensive and not very impressive.

Murray

The road is a well maintained dirt road that the Avis lady actually told me it was fine to drive on.

The official Avis policy at Skagway is that their cars are NOT allowed on the Dyea Road.

Judy and Murray-- thanks a bunch! I'm having such a hard time trying to decide which of those 2 excursions to do on our early August Regent cruise. Neither is very expensive since the cruise line is doing free excursions (with small up-charge in some cases). Wish I could do both, but need to decide between the train excursion: train up, coach out to bridge and back down by coach. Or the Davidson Glacier (Glacier Point by speedcat) excursion. Both are about a 5 hour trip. Would love to hear votes in one direction or the other. (I've read lots of posts on Skagway, but still can't decide.)

Btw, if weather isn't good, would one or the other be a better bet?

This is the William Moore Bridge,

Stacym

This is the bridge that was pointed out to us as the suspension bridge, attached at one end and not the other, to accommodate for shifting ground. Sorry if it isn't the one that the poster wanted.

WOW! I just googled the suspension bridge and it seems quite impressive to me.

Archived