The Psychology Of Being Told By RCCL NO Taking Wine On-Board

Some cruise friends and I were discussing cruising in general and some upcoming cruises that we have booked with Princess. The talk centered on where to get our wine prior to boarding since we are flying to the port, and where to replenish our supply in various ports dring the cruise.

The talk then turned to the psychology of being told by RCCL that we cannot bring on a bottle of wine per person at embarkation. We've cruised together enough to note the difference in our alcohol consumption patterns between Princess and RCCL.

On Princess, we usually gather in one stateroom and share a bottle of our own wine in the afternoon/early evening. Then we move to one of the ship's watering holes for more drinks, and then have a drink of the day at the show and or an after-dinner drink at dinner.

On RCCL we don't gather in one stateroom but meet at the show or for dinner. At dinner we drink tea and coffee, and at the show we generally don't order anything at all.

We decided that Princess' wine policy is wise :) in that it greases the wheels, so to speak.

We decided that RCCL's wine policy is short-sighted :mad: in that we buy far fewer drinks while on board - whether conciously in rebellion against their policy or unconciously since we don't do our routine afternoon gathering.

JMHO

We have friends who like to have a little wine in the room and table wine with dinner. They aren't interested in RCI at all. And the corkage fee on Celebrity is a deal breaker for them as well. They don't mind paying the corkage fee, when it's fair, but it's no longer even remotely fair.

Interesting thought. For me I just don't like someone telling me I can't do something that I can do almost every other place. Imagine if a hotel or an all inclusive checked your luggage for wine and then conficatated it. To me that's bizarre, and something I can't even get my head around.

Besides enjoying numerous bottles on my balcony, we also enjoy taking a bottle down for a late night hot tub. With Princess we have never had an issue.

I've never thought of bringing alcohol on board. I have no interest in drinking in my room and look forward to relaxing in the lounges for a few coctails.

Last trip I bought some rum in Belize to take home and had to leave it with them until the last day. That was somewhat of a nuisance but I got over it.

I started cruising back in the day when taking booze and wine onboard was allowed.

We used to enjoy starting our evening with a cocktail when getting ready, sort of as our starter for the evening, and then eventually venturing out building up a healthy bar tab.

Yes, when our hands were clasped when we were told we couldn't, we still did, but it became a PITA, but now sailing with balconies, became more pleasurable.

These days, I don't bother, and come home with the smallest bar bills of our sailing history.

I find it rather patronising actually.

This is one and only bugbear I have with RCI. I rarely drink and if I do it's only one glass so I'm hardly going to be a danger to myself or other passengers. But to add insult to injury by charging silly money for some of the cheapest nastiest wine I have ever come across is taking the proverbial.

I don't smuggle alcohol on board as I don't drink enough of it to worry about. On boarding in Naples, I dutifully declared a bottle of Limoncello we were given as a parting gift by our driver. It was taken off me for 'safe keeping'.

I never saw it again :mad:

We've cruised together enough to note the difference in our alcohol consumption patterns between Princess and RCCL.

...On RCCL we don't gather in one stateroom but meet at the show or for dinner. At dinner we drink tea and coffee, and at the show we generally don't order anything at all.

We decided that Princess' wine policy is wise :) in that it greases the wheels, so to speak.

We decided that RCCL's wine policy is short-sighted :mad: in that we buy far fewer drinks while on board...

JMHO

You are 100% correct. Normally I would take onboard enough wine and other liquor...then I would have a tab for onboard purchases in excess of $1,000. Last year I decided to abide by the rules and bought a 5 bottle wine package. My tab for 10 days was only $250 or so. I would much rather do it the old way...but they want to do it their way. Evidently the bean counters in Miami think they make more money but I end up drinking less...and paying less.

If we want wine or champagne we just order it on the ship or pre order for cabin or dining room. We've held and attended several cabin parties onboard where wine, beer and champagne was ordered and delivered to cabin so we do not have an issue with the policy. The cost of the alcohol onboard is close, sometimes lower to what we pay in the NY area anyway so it doesn't pay to try to smuggle for us and I do not want to ever risk it breaking in luggage either. I'm not a big drinker but DH and friends enjoy a glass of wine now and then.

There is no psychology involved that I can see of how it impacts people as RCCL is clear on it's policy so it's not like they spring it on people at the last minute and it disrupts their plans or cruise experience and if bringing my own wine onboard was that important to me I wouldn't sail RCCL.

It's clear to me RCCL and other cruiselines want people to buy liquor on the ships as it's a business trying to turn a profit. I can't fault them for that because if I sold alcohol as part of my business I wouldn't want people bringing their own either.

As they do continue to offer the option to purchase wine/drinks etc. onboard I can't see where it would prevent anyone from enjoying it in their cabin or planning a cabin party if that's what they wanted to do. JMO

Some cruise friends and I were discussing cruising in general and some upcoming cruises that we have booked with Princess. The talk centered on where to get our wine prior to boarding since we are flying to the port, and where to replenish our supply in various ports dring the cruise.

The talk then turned to the psychology of being told by RCCL that we cannot bring on a bottle of wine per person at embarkation. We've cruised together enough to note the difference in our alcohol consumption patterns between Princess and RCCL.

On Princess, we usually gather in one stateroom and share a bottle of our own wine in the afternoon/early evening. Then we move to one of the ship's watering holes for more drinks, and then have a drink of the day at the show and or an after-dinner drink at dinner.

On RCCL we don't gather in one stateroom but meet at the show or for dinner. At dinner we drink tea and coffee, and at the show we generally don't order anything at all.

We decided that RCCL's wine policy is short-sighted :mad: in that we buy far fewer drinks while on board - whether conciously in rebellion against their policy or unconciously since we don't do our routine afternoon gathering.

JMHO

Ironic that RCCL considers itself to be the Nation of Why Not :D

People can buy wine on board so I don't see a problem. Some people will never be happy no matter what. There will always be some rules/policy you don't like and some you do like, we learn deal with it.

There's another issue with bringing wine on board.

I just came back from RH OZ/NZ circumnavigation.

There were several ship's tours which included wineries and wine tastings. The literature specifically said there was time to buy wine to bring back. It did not, however, mention that the wine would be held until final disembarkation. Many people were unhappy.

Furthermore, wine that was returned to you when you got off the ship couldn't easily be taken on a plane if you were going directly to the airport. Limited liquids in carry on and no chance to repack to put the wine in checked luggage. Never mind the possibility of breakage.

I know of several people who did not buy any wine when their winery purchase was confiscated (even if it was only temporary). So they lost out and so did the cruise line.

Beth

Ironic that RCCL considers itself to be the Nation of Why Not :D

As cruisers well past Diamond, the recent changes and some of the not-so-recent changes have us considering emigration from the Nation of Why Not to the Land of What's Best for Us!

Penny-wise, pound-foolish policies.

Too bad...we have always liked the way we were treated on Royal ships. Lately we feel like walking ATMs for RCI Corporate.

Dave

On my first cruise we smuggled vodka on board, a friend suggested it. It was a pain in the @#% however we did enjoy pre-dinner cocktails in our room. We also went out to the ship's bars afterward and rang up a very healthy SeaPass account for the week. I did not smuggle on subsequent cruises because, well, I am lazy. However I do miss the pre-dinner cocktails with our friends. Meeting at one of the bars before dinner just isn't the same and I find the roomservice cocktails to be too strong or the ice has melted by the time it arrives. I don't mind paying the RCI prices, I just want the set-up in my stateroom so we can make them ourselves. It baffles me that RCI won't offer bar set-ups. The missed profit angle does not apply because I am willing to pay their fees.

While I agree that RCCL needs to loosen the reins on the alcohol policy, I have never had a problem bringing alcohol aboard after purchasing it in port. On our recent cruise to the Southern Caribbean, I purchased 2 very large bottles of rum. I put them through the security check with my other items when coming on the ship. I was told that I needed to check it with the guy at the table. Well, there was no one at the table, and the ship was so busy with people getting on and off (about lunch time), that I walked right to the elevators and no one said anything. I think it would have been just as easy to bring alcohol on board at any of the other stops!

While I don't think I will be cruising with RCCL anytime soon, I know that I will be bringing wine or other alcohol on board whenever I want. If they are going to make rules, they should at least enforce them.

I make a point not to buy liquor, tees and tours from a line that restricts bringing wine on board. Just about the only thing on my account are the tips.

Yeah, I kinda tend to push back like that also. You want to nickle-and-dime me? Fine, nickles and dimes is about all you'll get out of me.

I'd love to see a study on the psychology of nickle and diming customers to see if it really pays off. IMHO, it doesn't.

Yeah, I kinda tend to push back like that also. You want to nickle-and-dime me? Fine, nickles and dimes is about all you'll get out of me.

I'd love to see a study on the psychology of nickle and diming customers to see if it really pays off. IMHO, it doesn't.

Nickle & diming will NEVER increase revenue!

And your psychology regarding bringing wine on board is spot-on.... if you want further proof of that, then just research it here in Las Vegas:

Alcohol = Fun and Happy

Fun and Happy = More Spending

More Spending = More Profit

It's not rocket science!

I make a point not to buy liquor, tees and tours from a line that restricts bringing wine on board. Just about the only thing on my account are the tips.

Wow, never thought of this before reading your post. My bar tab was higher on Princess, which allowed wine, than on my other cruises. I guess I got happy in the cabin and danced all the way up to the bar to continue the fun:p I never do ship tours because I like to go off the beaten path.

We have friends who like to have a little wine in the room and table wine with dinner. They aren't interested in RCI at all. And the corkage fee on Celebrity is a deal breaker for them as well. They don't mind paying the corkage fee, when it's fair, but it's no longer even remotely fair.

How much is the corkage fee on Celebrity??

We have taken wine on NCL - they allow two bottles - I beleive the corkage fee is $15 still cheaper than what we would have paid for the same bottle on board.

If we want wine or champagne we just order it on the ship or pre order for cabin or dining room. We've held and attended several cabin parties onboard where wine, beer and champagne was ordered and delivered to cabin so we do not have an issue with the policy. The cost of the alcohol onboard is close, sometimes lower to what we pay in the NY area anyway so it doesn't pay to try to smuggle for us and I do not want to ever risk it breaking in luggage either. I'm not a big drinker but DH and friends enjoy a glass of wine now and then.

There is no psychology involved that I can see of how it impacts people as RCCL is clear on it's policy so it's not like they spring it on people at the last minute and it disrupts their plans or cruise experience and if bringing my own wine onboard was that important to me I wouldn't sail RCCL.

It's clear to me RCCL and other cruiselines want people to buy liquor on the ships as it's a business trying to turn a profit. I can't fault them for that because if I sold alcohol as part of my business I wouldn't want people bringing their own either.

As they do continue to offer the option to purchase wine/drinks etc. onboard I can't see where it would prevent anyone from enjoying it in their cabin or planning a cabin party if that's what they wanted to do. JMO

Very well said!:)

How much is the corkage fee on Celebrity??

We have taken wine on NCL - they allow two bottles - I beleive the corkage fee is $15 still cheaper than what we would have paid for the same bottle on board.

Celebrity's corkage fee is $25 per bottle. $10 is fair... $15 is questionable. $25 is highway robbery when you are talking about table wine.

No, I don't believe it pays off either. Our account at the end of our last RCI cruise was practically nothing. We aren't penny pinchers ... on other cruise lines my husband enjoys a brandy or 3 :rolleyes: and we usually have a good quality bottle of wine with our meal.

I think RCI needs to have a re-think about their bar prices and relax their alcohol policy... times have changed and people are cutting back their spending. They would make more money from us of that I am sure.

The psychology of which I spoke was not something generated by RCCl, the psychology I spoke of was the effect that the alcohol policy of two different lines was having on us. We found that we tend to run up a bigger bar tab when we are allowed to bring on some of our own wine - a bottle per person.

It looks to us like Princess has it figured out. They allow us to bring on some wine at the start of the cruise and we end up with a bigger bar tab.

RCCL's restrictive wine policy may be costing them money in the long run.

Sorry everyone, but I don't understand how RCCL NOT allowing us to bring wine onboard lowers your bar bill? Or how it affects having a pre-dinner drink in your room? We just order drinks from room service, or run to the bar and bring them back. No problem - and adds to the alcohol tab as RCCL expects. If anything, our bill would be less if we could bring a bottle or 2 of wine onboard, because I would not be buying as many bottles of wine with dinner. :p

Archived