Foreign transaction fees for Alaska excursions?

There have been a few threads on this subject- heres a link to one of them!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=812463&highlight=transaction+fee

Host Dan

Thanks, though my bank won't dispute/refund, saying it is a foreign transaction because the charge was put through a foreign database.

This was just for the excursions online; it didn't happen with my downpayment and it BETTER NOT happen with my final payment!

I'd like to see though if anyone else has recently experienced this . . .

This happened with my deposit. I called my TA and she said she can get it refunded through Regent if I provide my Visa statement to them. They credit by issuing a shipboard credit or a refund check. I paid for shore excursions online as well but have not received that credit card bill yet. I have never had this happen before and find it be very odd.

Thanks, though my bank won't dispute/refund, saying it is a foreign transaction because the charge was put through a foreign database.

This was just for the excursions online; it didn't happen with my downpayment and it BETTER NOT happen with my final payment!

Apparently your credit card bank has recently changed its definition of a foreign transaction to include all transactions run through a foreign bank regardless of currency. Have you received any notice from your bank showing such a change?

More importantly, if your bank has made such a change, you can count on the imposition of a foreign transaction fee if you use the same credit card for your final payment. Your final payment will be routed through the same bank in Ireland as was your excursion payment.

Regent will give you an OBC or sometimes cash for the amount of the foreign transaction fees imposed although they are under no obligation to do so. You might be better off using another credit card that doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee unless the transaction is in a currency other than US dollars. Good luck.

Dave

It happened to us just recently, when we finished the payment for our cruise. The "foreign transaction fee" was $180 - which Regent refunded to us.

Happened to us as well (Citibank Master Card). I faxed Regent a copy of my statement, and refund "check is in the mail." We shall see. (This is not really Regent's "fault," and I'm glad they're willing to refund.)

Archived