Cocktail Dresses?

sail7seas

On the cruises we've enjoyed during the last six months or so, I seem to notice more cocktail dresses than long dresses on formal nights than I used to notice.

The ladies look lovely and well dressed so no problem but I'm wondering if others have noticed the same thing?

Maybe it's all part of the weight limit on luggage and cocktail dresses are easier to pack than long dresses (except perhaps for jersey knits and such) or is it a sign of the economy?

What do you think?

Don't get me wrong....I think it fine and even purchased a little black dress while we were in San Juan and wore it one night of our recent Eurodam cruises.

I usually take a long gown and a cocktail length dress---simply because I have a cocktail dress that I love and wear as much as possible! I tend to pack what looks best on me and don't really try to "minimize" the stuff I bring!

And, I think alot of people think that a gown has to be a "ballgown"--big and easily wrinkled...and it really doesn't! There are alot of long gowns that take up the same or even less space than some cocktail dresses!

Cocktail dresses are much easier and lighter to pack in most cases, and since we take the stairs on the ships, it's much easier to not trip over a long hemline in them too. I'm not goign to be sailing Cunard, so if I sail a line that requires formal attire, I'll be wearing a cocktail dress.

It's an industry-wide trend in general. Even on bridesmaids and prom dresses, the past few years the percentage of cocktail length to gowns in surpassing the floor-length.

It's more pronounced on the east and west coasts, while the middle of the country might be more comfortable still wearing a gown.

A cocktail dress is not inherently more casual than a gown. It's a length difference. A one-shoulder embellished cocktail dress in a sumptuous luxury fabric, is often more "dressy" than a a full-length spaghetti-strap acaetate "gown"

Most important, wear what you feel great in and what flatters! Other then the Oscars...it's many women's only chance to rock a gorgeous gown!!!!

After several years of only buying and wearing cocktail length dresses (mine typically come to my knee or calf) I purchased a long gown.

Fortunately I bought it for a specific cruise and that cruise is local, so no luggage weight worries this time. The dress weighs as much as 3 of my cocktail length dresses, it is lined and has sleeves plus extra ruched layer of fabric at the neckline. Although it probably won't have the wrinkle problem since it's a jersey knit, I'm sure it will take more than twice the space as one of my cocktail dresses.

The funny thing is that I used my luggage scale to weigh it and it weighs all of 4 lbs., it feels like 10!

I love the dress and will enjoy wearing a long gown for this cruise but I'll hesitate to buy another long gown.

I'm wondering if, after the initial wearing, I might have it shortened to a cocktail length ;)

I wear both long and short, but the trend to cocktail length is more that a cruise trend. Fashion has become more 'comfortable' for formal wear AND everyday clothing.

I will continue to wear my long dresses, but I feel just as lovely in my shorter dresses.

I have been wearing cocktail dresses and have enjoyed wearing them. But I bought a pair of the long flowing black pants and two beautiful tops that I just love. I can't wait for my next cruise. The pants are very full and will look like a skirt and I will feel very comfortable and a little more formal.:D

Since I only cruise once a year, the formal nights get the leftovers, the cocktail dresses that I wear to weddings and xmas parties each year.

I don't have the money or an easy to fit figure to go buying long dresses to just wear on a cruise. Plus we have to fly and I try to pack less every time.

I do have my long very fancy matron-of-honor dress, but that would only look right on a cunard cruise. Last year I did buy a summery long gown, on clearance at coldwater creek for $20, but I haven't altered it yet.

On the cruises we've enjoyed during the last six months or so, I seem to notice more cocktail dresses than long dresses on formal nights than I used to notice.

The ladies look lovely and well dressed so no problem but I'm wondering if others have noticed the same thing?

Maybe it's all part of the weight limit on luggage and cocktail dresses are easier to pack than long dresses (except perhaps for jersey knits and such) or is it a sign of the economy?

What do you think?

Don't get me wrong....I think it fine and even purchased a little black dress while we were in San Juan and wore it one night of our recent Eurodam cruises.

I have a lot of long gowns and wear them to Mardi Gras balls every year (where a cocktail length dress is forbidden) so it's fun for me to bring a cocktail dress on cruises since I don't get to wear them as often. On my upcoming cruise I'll wear a full length dress one formal night and a cocktail length dress the other formal night.

Archived