Formal nights w/o jacket and tie?

cocos

On formal nights is it necesary for men to use jacket and tie? Could a shirt with sleeves and a vest be enough?

The suggested dress for formal nights does include a jacket and tie. I do not know how strictly that is enforced, but I would prefer to be prepared than to be turned away.

Recently on the Westerdam, the maitre'd had some extra jackets available on formal night if someone showed up without a jacket. My husband wore a suit, but no tie on formal night and no one said anything. He did have a tie in his pocket just in case he was turned away. As the previous poster stated, better to be prepared.

Cocos, I'm sure to get flamed for this, but....

We all know a shirt and vest isn't really formal. More to the point, it isn't what HAL describes on its website, which is:

"On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week.

In order to complement your fellow guests, Holland America Line asks that you observe the suggested dress code throughout the entire evening.

Formalwear for ladies and gentlemen can be pre-ordered for your use during your cruise by calling Cruiseline Formalwear at 800-551-5091 or make your reservations online. Your formalwear will be in your stateroom when you board."

As pointed out above, if a tie and jacket is too much hassle, or you decide not to pack them, no problem at all...just eat in the Lido (same menu) or order from room service. Or, if you don't want to pack formal stuff, renting formal gear is hassle free - I admit a lot of people don't want to budget the extra cost, though.

Can you "get away with" what you describe in the main dining room?

Almost certainly. There will probably be people on your cruise in the dining room on formal night dressed even more casually than you'd like to. It's been several years since I've heard of a Maitre d' turning a passenger away because of how they're dressed.

But why do people feel they have to "get away with" something? I've heard reasons, the most common being: "I have to dress at work and don't want to on my vacation", "When I pay for a vacation that should mean I can do what I want", "With weight restrictions I don't want to have to bring formal wear", "There are other lines that don't have formal nights, so why should HAL?"

My take is this: when you decide on one line instead of another you get the whole package, both the pluses and minuses. Formal nights are still a part of the package on HAL.

As for "getting away with" things, here's a link to one of my favorite threads:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=429829

But why do people feel they have to "get away with" something?

IMHO, the answer is simple: because that's how they are in any situation.

if the speed limit is 25, why not try 35; if the maximum weight of luggage is 50 pounds, how bout 55; when the non-smoking sign goes on, try for that last puff or two; if the line starts to the left, why not try the right; if all aboard time is 4:30, begin walking slowly down the dock at 4:29 ..

the examples are endless

the point IMHO is this: those who try to get away with something have no respect for anyone; they're bigger, better, more intelligent (or ignorant as the case may be) and could care less how they impact anyone else

it's time, actually way past time, that HAL does 1 of 2 things: does away with a dress code entirely or enforces it

that's the polite thing to do .. as importantly it shows respect for all the pax who do follow the appropriate dress code, especially on formal night

But why do people feel they have to "get away with" something?

IMHO, the answer is simple: because that's how they are in any situation.

if the speed limit is 25, why not try 35; if the maximum weight of luggage is 50 pounds, how bout 55; when the non-smoking sign goes on, try for that last puff or two; if the line starts to the left, why not try the right; if all aboard time is 4:30, begin walking slowly down the dock at 4:29 ..

the examples are endless

the point IMHO is this: those who try to get away with something have no respect for anyone; they're bigger, better, more intelligent (or ignorant as the case may be) and could care less how they impact anyone else

it's time, actually way past time, that HAL does 1 of 2 things: does away with a dress code entirely or enforces it

that's the polite thing to do .. as importantly it shows respect for all the pax who do follow the appropriate dress code, especially on formal night

Our world is becoming less formal, but I think one factor is people not wanting to dress up is they don't want to have the lug the stuff on the airplanes.

FYI, I take one suit, one tie, and two white shirts, absolute minimum for two formal nights.

Fann1sh, the way you put the "pluses and minuses" is really good. I usually view formal nights as a positive when cruising. However, we are doing an Alaskan cruise this spring and I view them as a negative there since our focus will be on nature viewing and the outdoors. It is just something I decided we would have to put up with if we wanted to eat in the dining room those nights. I didn't want to have to pay for a luxury line just to do that. :-)

It does seem though that the lines will have to adapt to the changing views about what is an "upscale" vacation experience. I would guess that HAL will be one of the last to do that however.

incredible33ig.png

That's a large cup of Java that dude has in front of him:eek: or maybe it's green pea soup............and why is that cup/bowl sitting on top of another bowl:confused: What's going on here? Is this the Twilight Zone? You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension - a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into the Twilight Zone.

FYI, I take one suit, one tie, and two white shirts, absolute minimum for two formal nights.

totally agree about wanting a somewhat more "relaxed" atmosphere

there's absolutely nothing wrong IMO with wearing a suit (or even dark sport jacket) with a shirt/tie on formal night ..

as a matter of fact, I believe there should be fewer formal nights .. the days of the 40's, 50's and 60's are over for the most part (:) ) when it comes to "going formal" just about every night

at the same time, I have no tolerance for the "guest" who tries to walk into the dining room (although many "get away" with it) in a t shirt and jeans (complete with formal sneakers to complete the ensemble)

the "hero t shirt" complete with formal shorts for the "gentleman" and the pink "hero t shirt" complete with shorts and sandals for the "lady" should cause those at the door to hold up a sign "that way to the exit"

My suggestion is if you do not want to do a suit/tux or jacket with tie, eat in the Lido on formal nights. The "formal" attire rule is well.. the rule and I think everyone should abide the rules for the sake of those around them. But no need to hide in your room as there were plenty of people in the Lido on formal night in slacks and polo shirts. It is not a step down in quality from the main DR. The experience is less formal but the food is just as good (many times it was the exact same menu on our cruise). Our service was excellent in the Lido. Plus, you can have as many desserts as you like and get them all at one time, no need to wait. See how my mind works :D

That's a large cup of Java that dude has in front of him:eek: or maybe it's green pea soup............and why is that cup/bowl sitting on top of another bowl:confused: What's going on here? Is this the Twilight Zone? You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension - a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into the Twilight Zone.

I think it's herbal tea . . . :D

ShrinkingMan_Rep.jpg

The Line's suggested dress code has already been posted, but I'm going to post it again before making any more comments:

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week.

In order to complement your fellow guests, Holland America Line asks that you observe the suggested dress code throughout the entire evening.

Formalwear for ladies and gentlemen can be pre-ordered for your use during your cruise by calling Cruiseline Formalwear at 800-551-5091 or make your reservations online. Your formalwear will be in your stateroom when you board.

That's it. It's pretty easy, particularly for guys on Formal Night. Here's what I've suggested to those who don't have a Tuxedo or a suit, or who don't want to bring or rent either:

Bring a pair of nice dockers, a Navy Blue or Black Jacket, white shirt, and a tie. On Smart Casual nights you can wear the dockers with other shirts. On Formal night you can wear the white shirt and tie with the jacket and dockers and you'll be fine. To keep from having to pack the jacket, just wear it on the plane in-transit to and from the ship. Easy. If your cruise is in the winter time that will keep you from having to lug a coat that you won't wear any other time during the trip but during transit.

As for not seeing the Dress Code enforced recently: I saw it enforced as recently as a couple of months ago aboard the Noordam, when a gentleman (I use the term loosely) was repeatedly turned away from the main dining room for lacking a jacket and tie on formal night. He told the Matre' D that he didn't bring either and was told: "I'm sorry, sir, but you'll need a jacket and tie to dine in the main dining room this evening." So, yes, it does still happen. Now, granted, I've also been on cruises where "anything goes" appeared to be the standard; however, one can never tell ahead of time what level of enforcement will reign. As others have said, it's better to be safe than sorry. :)

I do not know if it has changed or differs from ship to ship but on my cruise ending just last month jacket and tie were required.

The dress code made even a distinction between suggestions and requirements.

"Formal: ... For gentlemen, jacket and tie are required. Dark suit or tuxedo suggested."

This should take away the excuse from those who say "it's just a suggestion; it does not apply to me".

It even more makes clear that dark suits and tuxedos are appropriate.

I know women can preorder their formal wear but have you taken a look at it? Ick. I don't mind dressing up at all, actually get a kick out of it, but I wouldn't be caught dead in their "suggested evening formal wear for women".

No glam at all. I don't wear makeup but boy, I love the gltizy stuff you can buy for cruising!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

Here we go again - All this has been said many, many times before.

One other point regarding HAL's Dress Code:

T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours.

How many time do we see this portion of the Code violated by inconsiderate passengers.

The Line's suggested dress code has already been posted, but I'm going to post it again before making any more comments:

That's it. It's pretty easy, particularly for guys on Formal Night. Here's what I've suggested to those who don't have a Tuxedo or a suit, or who don't want to bring or rent either:

Bring a pair of nice dockers, a Navy Blue or Black Jacket, white shirt, and a tie. On Smart Casual nights you can wear the dockers with other shirts. On Formal night you can wear the white shirt and tie with the jacket and dockers and you'll be fine. To keep from having to pack the jacket, just wear it on the plane in-transit to and from the ship. Easy. If your cruise is in the winter time that will keep you from having to lug a coat that you won't wear any other time during the trip but during transit.

As for not seeing the Dress Code enforced recently: I saw it enforced as recently as a couple of months ago aboard the Noordam, when a gentleman (I use the term loosely) was repeatedly turned away from the main dining room for lacking a jacket and tie on formal night. He told the Matre' D that he didn't bring either and was told: "I'm sorry, sir, but you'll need a jacket and tie to dine in the main dining room this evening." So, yes, it does still happen. Now, granted, I've also been on cruises where "anything goes" appeared to be the standard; however, one can never tell ahead of time what level of enforcement will reign. As others have said, it's better to be safe than sorry. :)

Nice to see you, Greg! This must be a busy week for you. I thought that, overall, people were appropriately dressed for Formal Nights on the Noordam.

Fred does the same as you. Wears a navy blazer on the plane with a pair of khaki's. Then, packs his dark suit, white shirt, and ties. I think guys have it a whole lot easier than women.

Here's the thing--you wouldn't decide to go to the Opera or Ballet and wear shorts. You wouldn't go to a PTA meeting in a bikini. Why do folks book cruises on lines that "ask" you to dress for dinner, and then complain about dressing for dinner? I don't get it!

There ARE cruiselines that don't require anything dressy at all--if you don't want to go the "formal" route, why book that particular cruise???????

Also of note for those menfolk who might consider taking a tux were the price right.... my hubby had to rent a tux for a symphony gala a couple years ago. When he took it back he asked about buying it. $99 including the shoes and accessories and he looks mighty fine. :eek: It has paid for itself many times over now as he usually wears a tux 6 times a year between cruises and formal functions. And the really great thing... ex-rentals have expandable waist bands to help out with 2nd formal night. :D

Archived