Seward - anywhere besides hertz to rent a car to return in anchorage

poolwife

My husband and I will be travelling with my dad (86) and his wife (66). We will be coming off of a cruise in Seward on Sept. 4 and need to rent a car. The only place I know of is Hertz, but I need a mini-van and it is very expensive to rent a mini-van for 5 days (returning it on 9/9 in Anchorage).

It would just be a lot less hassle for my dad to get off the ship and into a car than for us to take the train to Anchorage, then my husband go to Avis downtown (where my current reservation is) and transfer everything. We don't just have luggage but also am having to rent an oxygen concentrator to go with his CPAP machine. So we will be bringing that off the ship with us. I thought it would be alot easier just to put it into the rental car and take off for our destination (Palmer) than the train, etc.

To rent the car from Avis downtown is only $500+ but from Seward it is $1157.00, so a huge difference.

Anyone got any other suggestions for me?????????? Thank you.

My husband and I will be travelling with my dad (86) and his wife (66). We will be coming off of a cruise in Seward on Sept. 4 and need to rent a car. The only place I know of is Hertz, but I need a mini-van and it is very expensive to rent a mini-van for 5 days (returning it on 9/9 in Anchorage).

It would just be a lot less hassle for my dad to get off the ship and into a car than for us to take the train to Anchorage, then my husband go to Avis downtown (where my current reservation is) and transfer everything. We don't just have luggage but also am having to rent an oxygen concentrator to go with his CPAP machine. So we will be bringing that off the ship with us. I thought it would be alot easier just to put it into the rental car and take off for our destination (Palmer) than the train, etc.

To rent the car from Avis downtown is only $500+ but from Seward it is $1157.00, so a huge difference.

Anyone got any other suggestions for me?????????? Thank you.

Sorry but Hertz is it.

Susan in Anchorage :)

There is no other place in Seward. You could rent the car in Seward one-way to Anchorage and also reserve another rental at a cheaper rate from Anchorage for the remainder of your trip. Hertz will let you keep the same van, but just change contracts.

Sherry, I was shocked, too, when I first saw the rental car prices out of Seward -- but as others have said above, that is the only option. But many people rent for one day and then switch to a different rental in Anchorage. That's what we're doing in June. If you can find a price comparable to your existing Avis reservation with Hertz, do that because they might left you keep the same vehicle so you don't have to transfer everything from one mini-van to another. If your price from Avis downtown is substantially better than anything you can get from Hertz, it shouldn't be a big deal -- rent the mini-van from Hertz in Seward, enjoy the drive to Anchorage, drive to Avis to rent your new van, move your gear, and then drive the 8 blocks over to the Hertz downtown office to drop off your first mini-van, and continue on your way up to Palmer. Just make sure you check the operating times of the Hertz and Avis downtown offices on the day you will be there.

-- Eric

I have always rented my Hertz Seward cars for ONLY as long as I need it, based on a 24 hour clock and then take an hour to turn it in and switch to a cheaper round trip Anchorage car. Have done so over many years. Not too difficult or time consuming. And will be a way cheaper option.

I checked with Hertz in Seward and a one day rental for the mini-van is $388.+. Needless to say I was shocked. My 5 day rental through Avis downtown is $589.00 so plus the $248.00 for all 4 of us on the train it is $837.00 versus Hertz Seward one day rental of $388.00 plus $589.00 equals $977.00 which is only $200.00 less than the original Hertz Seward price of $1157.00.

I called Holland America's access department and they said there isn't any problem at all taking the oxygen concentrator on the train cause it is also on wheels. So that is a good option also.

I have heard the train ride is very scenic. I have driven Seward to Anchorage by car several times but never by train, so hopefully we can go by the train.

So, I guess I will leave it up to my Dad's wife what she thinks will work out better.

I checked with Hertz in Seward and a one day rental for the mini-van is $388.+. Needless to say I was shocked. My 5 day rental through Avis downtown is $589.00 so plus the $248.00 for all 4 of us on the train it is $837.00 versus Hertz Seward one day rental of $388.00 plus $589.00 equals $977.00 which is only $200.00 less than the original Hertz Seward price of $1157.00.

I called Holland America's access department and they said there isn't any problem at all taking the oxygen concentrator on the train cause it is also on wheels. So that is a good option also.

I have heard the train ride is very scenic. I have driven Seward to Anchorage by car several times but never by train, so hopefully we can go by the train.

So, I guess I will leave it up to my Dad's wife what she thinks will work out better.

You will love the train if you go that way. It is a very relaxing and scenic trip.

I've asked this question, but I guess I'll ask it again here: Is the train between Anchorage and Seward all that more scenic than the coach between those two points? Thanks for opinions.

May I also suggest you try Enterprise for car rentals in Anchorage? Another good option is Hotwire; Priceline is usually even better. You name your price with Priceline. If they reject it, you have lost nothing. Both Hotwire and Priceline are a non-refundable expense, however. My children use Priceline all the time and almost always get great bargains. You may have to wait until closer to your travel date to see if the great deals are available. It all depends on supply and depend at the time. Might be a bit early for them to decide that now, but you certainly could try for a low-ball price. You may not be able to use Priceline from Seward, but with an Anchorage rental you should be able to. Just a matter of whether or not you win your bid. Good luck whatever you decide.

I've asked this question, but I guess I'll ask it again here: Is the train between Anchorage and Seward all that more scenic than the coach between those two points? Thanks for opinions.

Even though they do parallel some of the same road there will be a part that the you will see from the train that you wouldn't from the bus and I remember one time I got to see a black bear from that part of the train ride. Though there is no guarantee that you'll see one too :D

Susan in Anchorage :)

Absolutely, the bus is always my last choice for any transit here. The train has superior scenery, passing glaciers. It becomes common with the Seward Highway about the last 1/3 of the trip from Seward.

Besides converting a one-way to a roundtrip rental when OP gets to ANC, check for rental car discounts. "Coupon codes" are often available through your employer, credit union, bank cards, mileage programs, AAA, schools, etc. etc. I recall one person checked an online coupon/deal website and got a code that saved a bundle!

Another idea...are two compact cars from Seward to ANC less expensive than a van? Maybe your group will enjoy a few hours apart (just kidding). The drive is fast and easy.

Last tip, most rental car companies in ANC allow pickup downtown and dropoff at the airport without a OW drop charge. It saves airport fees which add about 25% to the cost.

Archived