Vancouver to Victoria

Here is a question for you locals up in Vancouver BC, what's the easiest, least expensive way to get to and from Victoria in one day? We'll be staying in downtown Vancouver (Marriott or Sutton Place) and would like to spend one day in Victoria, staying as late as possible but not staying overnight.

Any suggestions for the best way to make this one day trip would be appreciated!

The best way would be to take the Pacific Coach lines bus - either as a one day tour or to and from Victoria - from the time you leave downtown Vancouver until you arrive in Victoria will be close to 3 hours - first ferry is 7AM and the last one is usually 9PM but there could be a later one in peak season.

Here's a link to there web site:

http://www.pacificcoach.com/

The least expensive way would be by public transit to the ferry - the ferry as a foot passenger and then public transit on the other side - too much worry and hassle as far as I am concerned but if you miss a bus or it is late or overcrowded you might miss a ferry and they are only every two hours for most of the year.

There are other tour companies as well but they are more costly.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

I agree with Urban_trekker, Pacific Coach Lines is the way to go. I have done both and public transportation can be easy or hard depending on when you are traveling. Mind you, if you are not traveling downtown-to-downtown, public transit goes where PCL doesn't. If you have a ticket you'll get on the PCL bus whereas on public transit I have seen full buses leave folks behind at the Ferry Terminal waiting for the next one. Those buses can get very busy. It is worth the little bit extra for PCL. They also offer tours in Victoria and may have a drop off / pick up point near your hotel.

On nice day the ferry ride can be great with terrific scenery - enjoy the cruise.

Thanks for this info, I didnt realize a private bus line might be a better way to go than a public transit ferry. I thought the public transit ferry ride might be the way to go since Vancouver is known for its great transportation system, but in the summer during the busy tourist season it sounds like it may be so busy it could be a problem getting across.

Thanks for your helpful tips :)

Thanks for this info, I didnt realize a bus might be a better way to go than a ferry. I thought the ferry ride might be very scenic and a nice way to go, but in the summer during the busy tourist season it sounds like it may be so busy it could be a problem getting across.

Thanks for your helpful tips :)

Ummm - the bus goes on the ferry. Victoria is on Vancouver ISLAND and there is no bridge yet (god forbid there ever is!!). Pacific Coach Lines have buses on every ferry and they don't have to wait, they actually are the first vehicles boarded.

Here is a question for you locals up in Vancouver BC, what's the easiest, least expensive way to get to and from Victoria in one day? We'll be staying in downtown Vancouver (Marriott or Sutton Place) and would like to spend one day in Victoria, staying as late as possible but not staying overnight.

Any suggestions for the best way to make this one day trip would be appreciated!

Pacific Coach Lines is the easiest. The total travel time is just under 4 hours (the 3 hr number is unrealistic) from Pacific [bus/train] Station to downtown Victoria. Cost is $84 return including the ferry. You will however need to get to/from the bus depot (although I believe a couple of summer schedule buses loop through downtown).

If you're not scared of local buses, and there's no reason to be, they're excellent in Vancouver, there's virtually no difference between the two in time. Local buses allow you to do the same thing, for about 1/2 the price, and while the trip itself is a little longer in time, you wont need to get to Pacific Station. From downtown Vancouver to Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal, there's two routes, either #601/#620 (via Ladner Exch) or #98/#620 (via airport Exch) $5. If you're planning on doing this after labour day it gets even faster as the new subway will be running from downtown to the airport (where you'd board the #620). Walk on the ferry $13.50. Walk off, and the #70 bus into downtown on the Victoria side $2.25 into downtown. Reverse the same thing to go home. Total cost would be $39 (the Vancouver bus is only $2.50) after 630pm for the return from Tsawwassen into downtown). If you're going from the ferry terminal in Victoria (Swartz Bay) to Buchardt Gardens, there's a different bus you want vs the #70, but I can't remember the number off hand the route number.

If you use google maps for Vancouver and do a "Get Directions" Vancouver is one of the few cities in the world where you can select "By Public Transit" instead of "By Car" http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=845+Burrard+Street,+Vancouver,+BC+V6Z+2K6,+Canada+(Sutton+Place+Hotel+The)&daddr=Tsawwassen+Ferry+Terminal,+Canada&hl=en&geocode=FQD_7wIdpUip-CEG47EGsCgiZA%3BFbPa6wIdxEip-A&mra=cc&dirflg=r&sll=49.169583,-123.088074&sspn=0.260835,0.727844&ie=UTF8&z=11&start=0

Vancouver Bus Info at http://translink.bc.ca/

Victoria Bus Info at http://www.bctransit.com/regions/vic/?p=1.txt

Fares quoted are the current prices, they might be a tiny bit higher once summer arrives.

Thanks Scottbee, for a wealth of info and the links you provided. Which day do you think we would find less crowds going to and in Victoria, Sunday or Monday? I would assume you have more sightseeing on the weekends but on the weekdays, do you have a lot of commuters going to work in Victoria during the week?

We will be traveling the last week in June, beginning of July. Thanks, CG

Keep in mind that July 1st is Canada Day - our day of independence from the British and that week is also the first full week that school will be out so the many people are starting their vacations.

Not a lot of people commute to and from Vancouver/Victoria - much more likely from Vancouver to Nanaimo and the Sunshine Coast.

Scott can add his view but I would say that it is more likely that it will be busy coming from Victoria to Vancouver on a Sunday - also keep in mind that BC Residents over 65 travel free on the ferries on weekdays for the passenger portion of their fare so it could be busier on the Monday.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Scottbee, for a wealth of info and the links you provided. Which day do you think we would find less crowds going to and in Victoria, Sunday or Monday? I would assume you have more sightseeing on the weekends but on the weekdays, do you have a lot of commuters going to work in Victoria during the week?

We will be traveling the last week in June, beginning of July. Thanks, CG

Both Sunday and Monday have their downside, in the summer it makes little difference, (in the winter, Friday and Sunday evenings are by far the busiest sailings). Sunday evening and Monday morning are likely to be the busier times, but as a walkon, you're virtually guaranteed to get on any sailing you show up for.

Also, someone here posted that the ferries are every two hours, this is not correct. During the bulk of the summer season there are four vessels on the route allowing sailings every hour from either 6 or 7am until 9 or 10pm.

Archived