?Mariner to Mexico Insurance question? Can someone please tell me more about

how much insurance we need to purchase for medical and med evac back to CA? I've been looking at the reccommended websites to purchase this, but I am confused. :confused: Each policy has different limits and I don't know what is a reasonable amount to buy or which add-ons we should concern ourselves with. RCCL offers $10,000 medical (which seems inadequate in my opinion) and if I recall correctly, only $15000 med evac. We are not too concerned about cancellation costs, luggage, trip delays etc, etc. More concerned about a major medical problem or having to be airlifted off the ship to hospital or home. Praying we never have to use the insurance, just want to be prepared.

Here is some info that may help someone to better guide us in the right direction. We are a family of 4. (w/ 2 teens) that will probably zipline, jetski, snorkel and maybe parasail or ride ATV's. Do we need additional coverage for these activities while in port? If so, how much?

Any help or suggestions is much appreciated. :) I want to book this insurance today. Our trip is already paid in full, 4 days ago, as we booked the cruise after the final payment date. What do you suggest?

Thanks for your help!

Craving A Cruise (CAC)

I don't know about giving you advise as you'll need to figure out your needs yourself, but on my last several cruises and my next one to the Mexican Riviera I use STA Travel which is student travel. They also offer their insurance to adults, but you need to call to get a quote.

I like them because they have good rates and several people on the board said they had their claims paid with no problem. I was only concerned with the medical and evacuation as well so upgraded our policy to $30,000 medical and I believe evacuation was about $100,000. The policy for our trip to the Caribbean several weeks ago was about $130 for both of us.

Have you looked at insure my trip.com? If not, please do. There are many different coverages offered. I too am more concerned with medical evacuation. I always purchase a policy with at least $100,000. The one I purchased for our May MOS cruise was only $44 pp and has one million for evacuation. STA is very good coverage for the price if you only need a week's coverage. And I always booked it on line, never had to call for rates. There is a flat rate of $48 pp for up to 8 days coverage, if the rate hasn't changed. Only problem for us is that we always go the day before the cruise date, and I finally figured out that on the return date, we were not insured as that was the 9th day of the trip!

Thanks for letting me know what you did! I had not heard of that company so I will go check them out.

I was thinking at least $100,000 med evac but I have no idea how much a helicopter ride will cost. (That is one expensive excursion!) :D $30000 sounds good on the medical portion. Do you know if the activities we are planning will be covered in a "basic" policy or are they considered to be "extreme" sports?

Thanks again!

CAC

Have you looked at insure my trip.com? If not, please do. There are many different coverages offered. I too am more concerned with medical evacuation. I always purchase a policy with at least $100,000. The one I purchased for our May MOS cruise was only $44 pp and has one million for evacuation. STA is very good coverage for the price if you only need a week's coverage. And I always booked it on line, never had to call for rates. There is a flat rate of $48 pp for up to 8 days coverage, if the rate hasn't changed. Only problem for us is that we always go the day before the cruise date, and I finally figured out that on the return date, we were not insured as that was the 9th day of the trip!

Yes. This is the website I have been looking at, but you are correct, there are many many options. I'm not sure where to start! I'm also not familiar with STA , need to go check that one now. Thanks also for the heads up on the 8 day/9 day dilemma. I didn't realize that could be a problem if we arrive the afernoon before emarkation.

Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it.:)

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all the great advice. I just wanted to give a final update on our situation. We were quoted a total of $356 for family of 4 on RCCL. That would be for $10,000 medical and $25,000 medical evacuation. I declined it.

Instead, I purchased a policy thru insuremytrip dot com. Total for family was $164. This was for $100,000 medical and $1 million for emergency medical evac, to hospital of choice and $25,000 non-medical evacuation coverage with TravelSafe Vacation ins.

Just wanted to remind everyone that it does pay to shop around :-) We saved almost $200 and got a lot more coverage!

Bon Voyage!

Archived