Don't plug alarm clock into 220V outlet

flem1064

My wife plugged an ordinary alarm clock into the 220V outlet above the dressing area in the cabin, guess what, the clock died immediately. I didn't even look at the plug to see how she plugged the clock into it, but she did. :p

A battery powered alarm clock is probably a good thing to bring anyway.

My wife plugged an ordinary alarm clock into the 220V outlet above the dressing area in the cabin, guess what, the clock died immediately. I didn't even look at the plug to see how she plugged the clock into it, but she did. :p

I thought the outlet in the cabin was 110 ??

I am pretty sure I read around here someplace that plugging clocks into the outlets are useless anyway. Apparently the power fluctuates at times on the ship and it causes the clocks to lose time..or gain time...something like that.

But thanks for that warning about being careful which plug you use.

I am pretty sure I read around here someplace that plugging clocks into the outlets are useless anyway. Apparently the power fluctuates at times on the ship and it causes the clocks to lose time..or gain time...something like that.

I recall reading that several times also.

But thanks for that warning about being careful which plug you use.

Yep, any alarm clock we have brought along and plugged in has lost time on each cruise. I learned to bring a battery powered clock the hard way...by being late! :p

As an additional caution, the power on the ship tends to fluctuate. it is great for things where time doesn't matter or for charging electronics, but you can be guaranteed that an electric clock is not going to keep correct time. If a clock is important bring a battery powered one.

and we missed our snorkling in Belize b/c the cell phone used a satellite to keep time by and ship time did not. :( We went to the lounge at the appointed time and thought they ere kidding when they told us we missed it and were an hour late. If you need an alarm, use a battery operated clock, a watch that is not atomic or request a wake up call.

We just travel with a $25 Casio digital watch. It has an alarm as well as being my DH's travel watch.

Don't rely on cell phones for correct time either. They're not always correct at sea or in port.

Archived