Don't go to Nassau on Good Friday

flem1064

For shopping that is...Most of the town was shuttered up. I didn't watch the Shopper's Talk beforehand, so I don't know if this mentioned. We got to town hoping to go to John Bull and Soloman's Mine, and about all that was open was the lousy straw market.

Walking through this joint has not changed a bit. I know some like it, but I get tired of squeezing down the thin aisles, getting asked the same stupid questions "Want some (fake) cuban cigars?", "Which one you like?".

Almost every vendor has the same inventory of crap, and it is crap. Baseball caps, bad jewelry, fake gucci and chanel bags, t-shirts, and wooden *stuff* that is not hand-carved, no matter what they tell you.

My daughter bought a bracelet and it was broken before we left the market. Went back to the booth and they denied selling it to us 15 mins earlier, very rude. Do yourself a favor and avoid it. If you go, you'll see what I mean.

For shopping that is...Most of the town was shuttered up. I didn't watch the Shopper's Talk beforehand, so I don't know if this mentioned. We got to town hoping to go to John Bull and Soloman's Mine, and about all that was open was the lousy straw market.

Walking through this joint has not changed a bit. I know some like it, but I get tired of squeezing down the thin aisles, getting asked the same stupid questions "Want some (fake) cuban cigars?", "Which one you like?".

Almost every vendor has the same inventory of crap, and it is crap. Baseball caps, bad jewelry, fake gucci and chanel bags, t-shirts, and wooden *stuff* that is not hand-carved, no matter what they tell you.

My daughter bought a bracelet and it was broken before we left the market. Went back to the booth and they denied selling it to us 15 mins earlier, very rude. Do yourself a favor and avoid it. If you go, you'll see what I mean.

Many of the islands are quite religious.

I agree about the hats and other crap. I buy very few things in port. Most of it I can get at home and can return at will without having to book another cruise to do it.

Thanks for the heads up.

Wow .. I can't believe you were on the same cruise with me:confused:. I keep seeing your posts. The only stores that were closed were the duty free liquor shops:rolleyes: Believe me I was not happy about that:cool: We went to many shops.. and spent too much money:o I've been to Nassau so many times.. usually avoid the straw market ... enjoy meeting the local people.Most were very helpful in explaining that it was Good Friday and no liquor being sold.

I learned this two years ago when I was cruising during Easter. I was in St. Lucia on Easter Sunday and 99% of the shops and places were closed. The same was in Barbados on Easter Monday. Nothing was open,even near the port area.

While we in the states as a rule don't take the holiday so strict, they do in the islands and I tell people to think about this when cruising during the holidays.

I learned this two years ago when I was cruising during Easter. I was in St. Lucia on Easter Sunday and 99% of the shops and places were closed. The same was in Barbados on Easter Monday. Nothing was open,even near the port area.

While we in the states as a rule don't take the holiday so strict, they do in the islands and I tell people to think about this when cruising during the holidays.

Until a very few years ago there were NO stores open in the US on Sundays. Then little by little things have opened up to the point where some people now go out on Christmas morning to begin their Christmas shopping- for next year.

I guess I am in the minority since I do not cruise to shop- very little I need or want that I could get in a port cheaper or better than at home. But the opportunity to see something of the island culture in their holiday activities to me is a real plus. Takes all kinds I guess.

Wow .. I can't believe you were on the same cruise with me:confused:. I keep seeing your posts. The only stores that were closed were the duty free liquor shops:rolleyes: Believe me I was not happy about that:cool: We went to many shops.. and spent too much money:o I've been to Nassau so many times.. usually avoid the straw market ... enjoy meeting the local people.Most were very helpful in explaining that it was Good Friday and no liquor being sold.

What were some of the names of the stores you went into? None of the biggies? If that main shopping street was any indication of the rest of the town, more than 90% of the stores were closed.

We found that Costa Rica (not the entire country, but the port!!) was closed on the Thursday before Easter---what's that about?

It's "Maunday Thursday" or Holy Thursday. This Thursday before Easter commemorates the Last Supper and is the fifth day of Holy Week. 4 things are celebrated this day; the washing of the disciples feet by Jesus, the first communion, the agony in Gethsemane and the betrayal of Judas Iscariot.

Many Caribbean nations are intensively Catholic and very religious. They take it seriously on the holy days.

What were some of the names of the stores you went into? None of the biggies? If that main shopping street was any indication of the rest of the town, more than 90% of the stores were closed.

We were on the main street Del Sol , some big new shop called Banana something, maybe Banana Bay? All the jewelry stores were open. Went into some smaller t-shirt shops. Lots of places to eat. What time were you there? maybe before the stores opened? We were there after 12:30pm The only "boarded" up store was a liquor store that had big red shutters that closed.It was right down the way from Burger King. Oh, Pirana Joes was open too.Right there when you leave the port. I didn't see anything that was closed:o

in college, i went to spring break at south padre island. we took a day trip into nuevo progresso, mexico on that thursday.

i was getting married a few months later, and there were GOURGEOUS tiaras unlike those i could get back home in store windows. unfortunately, it was Santa Semana (Holy Week) and stores were closed up tight.

no tiara for me!

We were on the main street Del Sol , some big new shop called Banana something, maybe Banana Bay? All the jewelry stores were open. Went into some smaller t-shirt shops. Lots of places to eat. What time were you there? maybe before the stores opened? We were there after 12:30pm The only "boarded" up store was a liquor store that had big red shutters that closed.It was right down the way from Burger King. Oh, Pirana Joes was open too.Right there when you leave the port. I didn't see anything that was closed:o

We were there until about 12:15. The only thing I can think of is that we left town and everything opened up behind us? Did the port shopper mention this in his talk?

We were so fed up with our bad experience in the Straw Market, we couldn't get back to the ship fast enough.

most every store is closed on every sunday in nassau. my 1st cruise, 1st port was nassau on sunday morning. the lord's day is observed on new providence.

Archived