Glory 4/4 - You needed to get a chair very early on deck

flem1064

I am not writing this about the debate on chair hogging. All I'm saying is that on the 4/4 Glory, you needed to have a towel down well before 7AM if you wanted to be near the pools or within earshot of the music. Otherwise, you had to be down the sides near the aft or up on 12 or 13 forward.

I saw in some cases over 20 chairs in a row with just a single shoe on them. They were held at 7AM with most people not showing up until lunch time or later.

We've been on the Glory 3 times and this was the most crowded sea days for both trying to find chairs AND towels. I tried to get 2 more towels in the afternoon and they were not available. Very packed ship.

...big sigh...

I will NEVER understand this discussion! Why do people who want a chair not just move the junk that someone left on a chair? There is NO reserving chairs and I ALWAYS move crap left on them if it's in the chairs that I want and there's no physical body in them. They'll have to look for chairs when they get there just like everyone else that paid for the cruise must do!!

I'll never understand... :cool:

I would venture a guess that it is more about the time of year you sialed versus the Glory. We sailed the Glory prior to spring break and had no problem finding chairs after breakfast. In fact any time of the day we wanted deck chairs, we found them...were they right next to the pool and the band...no, but we had no problem finding good spots.

:rolleyes:

I am not writing this about the debate on chair hogging. All I'm saying is that on the 4/4 Glory, you needed to have a towel down well before 7AM if you wanted to be near the pools or within earshot of the music. Otherwise, you had to be down the sides near the aft or up on 12 or 13 forward.

I saw in some cases over 20 chairs in a row with just a single shoe on them. They were held at 7AM with most people not showing up until lunch time or later.

We've been on the Glory 3 times and this was the most crowded sea days for both trying to find chairs AND towels. I tried to get 2 more towels in the afternoon and they were not available. Very packed ship.

LOL I was on this sailing ..just arrived home at 12:30pm today. Yes, it was packed.. lots of kids .. lots of FUN:D. I had no problem finding a deck chair.. most of the chairs were occupied by bodies when I went out there ( 11am or so) We had a blast:p ..I will post a review later. Did you have fun other then this chair thing? How about the rest of the cruise?

:rolleyes:

LOL I was on this sailing ..just arrived home at 12:30pm today. Yes, it was packed.. lots of kids .. lots of FUN:D. I had no problem finding a deck chair.. most of the chairs were occupied by bodies when I went out there ( 11am or so) We had a blast:p ..I will post a review later. Did you have fun other then this chair thing? How about the rest of the cruise?

Yes we had a great time as always on Carnival. I was getting some snippets of information out there to people who are cruising soon. Our room #1256 was lacking proper A/C, prime spots on the lido deck were taken by early morning, etc....

Butch was a great CD, the food was awesome and the warm choc melting cake did not disappoint EVERY night.

It's as simple as this for me. If it has the "saved look", like one shoe, book, bottle of sunscreen, a banana, then I say thank you and consider it mine. No sitting around waiting or timing how long it has been empty. I just take it cause it is obviously being saved which is against policy, enforced or not. If it looks lived in then I leave it alone and move on.

just got off the fascination. i was up around 630am one morn and there was a lady placing shoes,towels,books etc on chairs. I asked her if she thought that placing an item on the chair then going back to bed makes it hers? she didnt even hesitate.."Yes"

i laughed and said "good luck" and another smart comment.

You can go to the pool attendant and ask to have the "forgotten" items cleared for your immediate use. There are posted signs telling folks NOT to "save" chairs!

Been there done that. You won't make any friends, but then again it's them breaking the rules :rolleyes:

I do not quite understand how a single shoe can "save" 20 chairs. And personally I would have moved the shoe.

It was a single shoe per chair obviously. The point I was trying to make was that YES, there were chairs available later in the day, but the prime chairs on the pool level and the surrounding "step" area were gone by about 7AM.

Chairs on the upper levels were the last to go, it was a little windy last week and on the second sea day, some people were complaining it was actually cold on the aft decks, away from the central pool area.

We are headed out on the Glory next month.

While this particular problem does not affect me (since I don't sit in the sun)...I do find it a shame that Carnival puts their "guests" in the position of having to do CARNIVAL'S job.

If the rule says no saving seats...then it is Carnival's job to walk by and collect those "bananas, books and one shoe"....

Carnival should not put "guests" in the position of confrontation with another guest. If Carnival would do their job...there would be no confrontation.

CHAIR HOGS BEWARE! Dastardly Dan (ME!) will be on the Glory next week (Apr 18th). being a retired NYC cop, I assign myself to "Chair Hog Patrol" every sea day, from 6am onwards!...BEWARE!!

DD

CHAIR HOGS BEWARE! Dastardly Dan (ME!) will be on the Glory next week (Apr 18th). being a retired NYC cop, I assign myself to "Chair Hog Patrol" every sea day, from 6am onwards!...BEWARE!!

DD

I should do that myself, just hate messing with people's "stuff".

...big sigh...

I will NEVER understand this discussion! Why do people who want a chair not just move the junk that someone left on a chair? There is NO reserving chairs and I ALWAYS move crap left on them if it's in the chairs that I want and there's no physical body in them. They'll have to look for chairs when they get there just like everyone else that paid for the cruise must do!!

I'll never understand... :cool:

I've always wondered, what do you do with the item was on the chair? Do you just set it on the deck, next to the chair? Call an attendant over to remove it? Exactly how does this work?

The only situation I ever encountered was when there as one person, saving 8 or nine other chairs/loungers. This was on the Serenity area of Inspiration, so there were a limited number of chairs there to begin with. The chairs were never all filled with bodies, but they were available whenever anyone from their party got up. I thought it was unfair.

Just off the Destiny yesterday and the only day the chair hogs truly took all the chairs was on our one "at sea" day. I went up at 8:30 am and there was only ONE chair that did not have a person or an item (mostly towels and items) on it. I listened to some people arguing about moving items they had used to 'reserve" their chairs.

I then realized that there were many chairs open on the 10th deck, overlooking the Lido and moved there with my family.

DD

:p love it. i do not see the draw of crowding in to the pool. there are plenty of other things to do on the ship, and we have a LOT of beach time. i would find it funny watching a chair hog patrol in action.

I've always wondered, what do you do with the item was on the chair?

load a template on your computer in the format of a lost dog poster. use your digicam to take a picture of the item, and create a smartassed poster. print out the flyer, and safety pin or tape the flyer to the chair. send the chair hog on a scavenger hunt with the information in the flyer.

watch with sippy drink in hand. hilarity ensues.

Archived