Holiday Inn Newark Airport

138east

As I said on another thread, I had a chance to take my own advice and stay at the Holiday Inn at Newark Airport. This is the review I promised. Recently they have been offering a rate of about $55.80. It was so inexpensive, we were wondering if we should have concerns about the hotel. I am glad to report that we had a quick but wonderful stay - the hotel lived up to our expectations, but there are a few things you should know if you are considering this as a choice.

This hotel is an excellent choice at the price point. The two rooms with tax were $127.22. Somehow we ended up paying only for 1 car, so the total bill was $142.22 for 6 people. On top of that we spent about $15 in the canteen.

We were a group of 6 - my husband and me, my son (24) and my daughter (31) and her two children 3 1/2 and 5 months so we had luggage, strollers, and a port-a-crib. I booked two rooms and called about noon the day of our arrival to ask that they block out two adjoining rooms for our late arrival at 11 pm. This worked well - we had connecting rooms on the 1st floor at the end of the hallway. Very quiet and very convenient. The hotel was a madhouse when we arrived, but check-in went smoothly and we got exactly what we wanted. There didn't seem to be any bell hops - we just grabbed a cart and the guys wheeled all our stuff to the room.

The rooms were spacious and clean - two double beds with space around them, a comfortable chair, a desk with a real office chair (would be really good if you were using your computer), a TV in a cabinet, drawer space, etc. The entryway was large with a small closet. Normally this area might be part of the bathroom. This meant that the bathroom was about 5x8 - when the door opened it almost touched the toilet, but no big deal. There were room darkening curtains and the decor was what you might expect. The beds were very firm and had several pillows each. There was a coffeemaker, no tissues in the tissue dispenser area, and a very basic selection of toiletries.

As an airport hotel, it was busy both late at night and early in the morning. As I waited for others to get up, I saw waves of folks congregate in the lobby to take the shuttle to the airport. These shuttles left every half hour. There appeared to be both full sized buses and smaller buses. There is a fitness center, but no pool.

What you need to know is that the hotel must make its money by the add-ons. Parking was $15. We knew this in advance so no surprises. Internet was available - There was WiFi, but there might be an access fee. Public terminals were available for $1/5 minutes. The Hunt dining room serves breakfast, lunch and dinner and a pub called Teddy's that serves drinks and "pub food". We did not eat in either. Breakfast in the dining room for the buffet was $13.20, which would have been $15+ per person. Individual items were pricey - $4.99 for cereal. Lunch and dinner entrees were a variety of salads, chicken, and steak in the $12-20 range. However, there was a reasonable canteen where you could get coffee, pastries, cereal, fruit, etc. In addition there was a small sundries shop.

Teddy's menu

Starters - shrimp cocktail, chicken fingers, nachos, potato skins, mozzarella sticks, clamari, onion rings, cheese fries - $5.99-$12.99

Soup - chili, onion, du jour - $4.59-$5.99

Salad - chicken Caesar, grilled chicken, southwestern steak, oriental chicken - $12.99-$14.99

Burgers - 1/2 lb, bacon/cheese, cajun, the works, turkey burger - $10.29-$11.99

Wings - $10.95

Pizza - all kinds - $11.99-$13.99 + build your own

Wraps - Chicken Caesar, south of the border steak, roast beef & cheddar, crispy chicken - $11.49-$12.99

Sandwiches - pepperjack chicken, turkey club, Philly cheesesteak, LBT, Greek gyro, French dip, BBQ steak, chicken quesadilla, veggie pita - $9.49 - $14.79

Fish & chips - $14.79

Bourbon chicken - $14.99

New York strip - $21.99

Fried shrimp - $15.79

Atlantic salmon - $18.99

Blackened chicken pasta - $15.79

Meg - it's absolutely fine. It's an airport hotel. If the rate is good (it seems to fluctuate a whole lot), there is no reason not to choose it. As always, it depends on what you are looking for. I needed inexpensive decent accommodations for 6 people and this hotel was a wonderful choice for us. However, other folks have other agendas. This is not a potential park/cruise hotel. Your food choices are expensive and limited to the hotel and the Sheraton next door unless you want to take the shuttle back to the airport. There is no free breakfast. There is no pool. If you're driving, the hotel is right at the turnpike exit 14. It's a busy oasis in a sea of roadways - there should be no safety concerns. And surprisingly - it was quiet. Outdoors there was lots of roadway hum, but I didn't hear a single plane the whole time we were there.

• 2 weeks later...
As I said on another thread, I had a chance to take my own advice and stay at the Holiday Inn at Newark Airport. This is the review I promised. Recently they have been offering a rate of about $55.80. It was so inexpensive, we were wondering if we should have concerns about the hotel. I am glad to report that we had a quick but wonderful stay - the hotel lived up to our expectations, but there are a few things you should know if you are considering this as a choice.

This hotel is an excellent choice at the price point. The two rooms with tax were $127.22. Somehow we ended up paying only for 1 car, so the total bill was $142.22 for 6 people. On top of that we spent about $15 in the canteen.

We were a group of 6 - my husband and me, my son (24) and my daughter (31) and her two children 3 1/2 and 5 months so we had luggage, strollers, and a port-a-crib. I booked two rooms and called about noon the day of our arrival to ask that they block out two adjoining rooms for our late arrival at 11 pm. This worked well - we had connecting rooms on the 1st floor at the end of the hallway. Very quiet and very convenient. The hotel was a madhouse when we arrived, but check-in went smoothly and we got exactly what we wanted. There didn't seem to be any bell hops - we just grabbed a cart and the guys wheeled all our stuff to the room.

The rooms were spacious and clean - two double beds with space around them, a comfortable chair, a desk with a real office chair (would be really good if you were using your computer), a TV in a cabinet, drawer space, etc. The entryway was large with a small closet. Normally this area might be part of the bathroom. This meant that the bathroom was about 5x8 - when the door opened it almost touched the toilet, but no big deal. There were room darkening curtains and the decor was what you might expect. The beds were very firm and had several pillows each. There was a coffeemaker, no tissues in the tissue dispenser area, and a very basic selection of toiletries.

As an airport hotel, it was busy both late at night and early in the morning. As I waited for others to get up, I saw waves of folks congregate in the lobby to take the shuttle to the airport. These shuttles left every half hour. There appeared to be both full sized buses and smaller buses. There is a fitness center, but no pool.

What you need to know is that the hotel must make its money by the add-ons. Parking was $15. We knew this in advance so no surprises. Internet was available - There was WiFi, but there might be an access fee. Public terminals were available for $1/5 minutes. The Hunt dining room serves breakfast, lunch and dinner and a pub called Teddy's that serves drinks and "pub food". We did not eat in either. Breakfast in the dining room for the buffet was $13.20, which would have been $15+ per person. Individual items were pricey - $4.99 for cereal. Lunch and dinner entrees were a variety of salads, chicken, and steak in the $12-20 range. However, there was a reasonable canteen where you could get coffee, pastries, cereal, fruit, etc. In addition there was a small sundries shop.

Teddy's menu

Starters - shrimp cocktail, chicken fingers, nachos, potato skins, mozzarella sticks, clamari, onion rings, cheese fries - $5.99-$12.99

Soup - chili, onion, du jour - $4.59-$5.99

Salad - chicken Caesar, grilled chicken, southwestern steak, oriental chicken - $12.99-$14.99

Burgers - 1/2 lb, bacon/cheese, cajun, the works, turkey burger - $10.29-$11.99

Wings - $10.95

Pizza - all kinds - $11.99-$13.99 + build your own

Wraps - Chicken Caesar, south of the border steak, roast beef & cheddar, crispy chicken - $11.49-$12.99

Sandwiches - pepperjack chicken, turkey club, Philly cheesesteak, LBT, Greek gyro, French dip, BBQ steak, chicken quesadilla, veggie pita - $9.49 - $14.79

Fish & chips - $14.79

Bourbon chicken - $14.99

New York strip - $21.99

Fried shrimp - $15.79

Atlantic salmon - $18.99

Blackened chicken pasta - $15.79

Thank you so much for the review :) prices for the food soes seem to be high but fairly reasonable. Public terminals were available for $1/5 minutes..thats not too bad of a price/deal. I will have to share this page with my fellow cruisers on the roll call. Thank You again.

Glad this was a help. This hotel was a particularly good deal this spring. I've stayed in several Newark airport hotels and they all seemed to be pretty much the same. You really can't go wrong with a 3* or better. Because of the price I'd been recommending the hotel, and I suddenly found myself in a position to take my own recommendation.

The menu is for the Pub - others have commented that they have eaten there and enjoyed the food. The dining room is pricier with more steak selections, but also salads and chicken. However, the "canteen" was very reasonable - we got coffee and muffins and cereal and milk for 3 people for under $12.00.

Archived