Would guest "John Doe" Please Call the Office Immediately......

sail7seas

Yes,,,,,, Happened on our recent Eurodam cruise to DH. :)

We had gone ashore and returned to the ship at least 2 1/2 hours prior to all aboard time.

We were in our cabin and watching them start to pull the gangway when telephone rang.

It was Front Office wanting to know where DH was? Was he aboard? :D

Apparently, though his card was definitely scanned, as was mine, when we reboarded, the computer showed him not scanned back on the ship.

The Office was very happy to hear he was safely back and no hassle about alerting Port Agent of missing guest etc

So, don't think poorly of all the names you might hear paged. They may have done nothing wrong, may well be aboard but were not in their cabin to receive the call verifying they were on the ship.

On our last cruise, we were in ST Thomas, ready to pull up the gangway, and the announcements started. Everything had been taken up -- the 'velvet ropes' , tables, etc. A lone officer was standing at the bottom, the two seamen were waiting to haul the gangway... and coming down the quay were four 'more than slightly inebriated' party goers -- with no indication they understood how late they were. The captain announced we could now finally get underway -- and every one on the quay side started to clap and cheer.

Sail, I would tend to guess that this happens frequently. It seems we always hear them paging a few names.

It is those passengers on the final morning for debarkation that that continue to be paged that you know have either missed going to Immigration, custom declaration and or settling their accounts that I tend to get a bit annoyed with. :rolleyes:

It is those passengers on the final morning for debarkation that that continue to be paged that you know have either missed going to Immigration, custom declaration and or settling their accounts that I tend to get a bit annoyed with. :rolleyes:

Yeah I have to agree with you there but I'll have to tell you about my situation. I had a CREDIT balance on my statement because we missed a port and got port charges reversed. I was mortified to hear my name over the PA. I knew there shouldn't be a problem. They had to pay me in cash. I couldn't imagine why they couldn't have credited it to my credit card.

So, don't think poorly of all the names you might hear paged. They may have done nothing wrong, may well be aboard but were not in their cabin to receive the call verifying they were on the ship.

Oh I'm thinking that's probably not the usual situation:D. My card didn't scan properly one time either. There was no page. They came by at dinner to see if I was there. I guess they didn't miss me prior to that.

We have noticed the calling of various names anf cabin numbers right before the final ropes are removed -- it does seem to be happening a lot lately. I always hop and pray that the person is on board and that the scanner just wasn't working properly.

One port a couple of cruises ago they were calling at least a dozen names.

So far on our recent cruises we have't left anyone behind.

On a recent Med cruise, in San Tropez, a couple of the folks we not at the pier when the last tender left. After the tender was pulled out of the water and was being stowed, some one must have called the ship, because they lowered the tender back into the water and as the ship ever so slowly, sailed from it's anchorage the tender went back to shoe and retrieved the couple. I can tell you the captain was not happy with them! The cheif engineer told me the cruise line gets charged a very hefty fine when they do not depart on schedule and that likely the couple would get a very unwelcomed surprise in their onboard charge account.

A few years ago while we were on an NCL cruise, the polite boat came out with 2 ladies loaded with packages -- a ladder rope was put down the side of the ship and they had to climb up it -- that was a sight -- as they were trying to hang onto their purses -- loaded with packages -- trying to get up that ladder -- and people were cheering them on.

I wish I could remember which HAL cruise it was when we were actually pushing away from the pier when a few names were called.

Also know of a young lady who worked in the spa on the Maasdam -- her first and last job on that ship -- who spent too much time at the beach in St Thomas -- missed the ship. Several of us from CC were sitting in the Ocean Bar as she came running towards the ship waving frantically -- but we had already pushed away from the pier and the Captain wasn't going to stop the ship. To make a long story short -- she was fired.

Yeah I have to agree with you there but I'll have to tell you about my situation. I had a CREDIT balance on my statement because we missed a port and got port charges reversed. I was mortified to hear my name over the PA. I knew there shouldn't be a problem. They had to pay me in cash. I couldn't imagine why they couldn't have credited it to my credit card.

We didn't get our name called, but when we were leaving the ship and scanning in our cards for the last time, in a huge crowd, of course, we were told to go to the front office. We told them just to keep the $4, but it took a while on the phone to get that message through.:(

Several years ago we were in Saigon (forgot if that is current name).

I used crutches and a scooter at that time . But I just wanted to

get off the ship and check the shops at the port - using my crutches.

I didn't realize it - but my husband had become concerned that I was

off the ship in that port alone. So he went to the area to disembark

and asked if he could just step outside at the top of the stairs to

look for me. And he did so. Seeing I seemed ok - he went

back to the suite. However, someone apparently

scanned his card anyway; but when he went back inside - they didn't

scan him back in.

Yes ! Later as we were preparing for dinner the telephone rang.

We had not heard any announcements with our name. Obviously

they were happy when I answered the telephone and told them, yes,

Mr. ... was in the cabin! Not sure if we received any special

consideration since we were in a Handicap Accessible Suite.

We were in one of the Black Sea ports, I think it was Varna. I was right near the gangway, but I was talking to two young women who were waiting to watch the ship sail awy. They were telling me how hard it was to be able to save up the money to leave Varna. I did get on the ship right at the appointed time, 1/2 hour before departure, but I heard that my name had been called as everyone else was on the ship. I was worried that I had prevented the ship from leaving early, but it seems that they were still waiting for some supplies, and we actually left later than the stated sailaway time.

I don't know if my name was paged, as I was not on board to hear it (HAL tour was late returning, and it was a long, slow hobble down the pier for me), but I returned to my cabin about midnight to find a message. The Front Office was inquiring if I was aboard.

Last year when we boarded the Rotterdam in Rio, we didn't actually sail until the next day. DH never left the ship again in Rio, but I went into the shops at the pier for just a few more Hard Rock pins. ;) As we were getting ready for sail-away, I answer the phone - the front desk wanting to know if DH was on board. Yes, he is. Are you sure?? Yes. Are you sure?? I'm looking at him right now!

I don't know if they didn't get him scanned on board in the first place or what. :rolleyes: Believe me, if I wasn't sure he was on board as we sailed, I would be letting them know!

This same sort of thing happened on my last cruise as we were leaving Nuka Hiva. A group of us were on a private tour and many, including myself, were on the last tender coming back. The security officer at the dock was even rounding up us stragglers who had just gotten back from our tour and were trying to get in some last minute shopping at the vendor stalls on the pier.

Anyway, I kept hearing this guy's name being paged. I knew "dammed" well he was onboard, because I was sitting right next to him on the tender. So, obviously HAL's scanning system belched. After all, where would he go between the tender and the ship ... into the ocean for a leisurely swim? :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Interesting that it isn't that uncommon for the scanner to "mis-fire". :D

That is the first time that has happened to us in all our cruises.

I remember the days when we first cruised with HAL and we only had a paper ID card that we barely showed when we returned to the ship. Most of the time they didn't even glance at it let alone scan. The cards we currently used were introduced after 9-11, weren't they?

Our last cruise we were self-disembarking at the end of the cruise. When we got to the gang plank with our luggage and DH's card was scanned, sirens started going off. Very embarrassing. They had me get off and said DH needed to return to the front office. That morning, we had a credit balance on our account and we had received the cash to clear it. Well, the lady at the front desk did not post it. They tried to give him credit again. He told the lady he had received credit that morning (he was even talking to the very one who had given it to him). By the time he got back to the gang plank, regular disembark had begun, taxis were few and far between, and it was a mess for us getting where we needed to be on time!

This same cruise, we had booked a vows renewal ceremony. We disembarked in San Juan and went ashore. We came back on the ship that afternoon and the sirens went off when our cards were scanned. They had us stand there. Others got on the ship staring and we were so embarrassed. The party planner came down after about 15 minutes and told us the vow renewal ceremony had to be rescheduled for another day. I was thinking that surely there would be a better way to let us know!

But some people might not be so inclined!! :D

You have got that right.

I am a 9-1-1 dispatcher. You would not believe how many people call in a missing spouse/child/whatever , and you ask them how long have they been missing and they will tell you 3 or 4 days.

I am a 9-1-1 dispatcher. You would not believe how many people call in a missing spouse/child/whatever , and you ask them how long have they been missing and they will tell you 3 or 4 days.

No judgements... that may have been the best 3/4 days of their lives!!! ;-)

No judgements... that may have been the best 3/4 days of their lives!!! ;-)

Oh trust me , I can understand the spouse being gone a few days *LOL*.

But your kids ???? there are people that call 11pm and say their kid never came home from school that day . What the hell?

Archived