Princess rail Question.............

Cosmic Rays

As part of our land tour we are taking the train from Denali to Talkeetna. Is the luggage taken care of from Lodge to Lodge and on the train are the seats pre-assigned? If the seats are not, where is it suggested we sit, and in the dome car?

Hi,

The portion from Denali to Talkeetna is lovely-very scenic! Your luggage goes separately-I think it goes by truck, not on the train-you put it outside your hotel room door and it appears in your room at the next lodge-very nice!

Seats are assigned on the train-they are actually bench seats at tables-two on each side. If the train is not full you could move around.

The trains frequently run full, as noted, seats are assigned, table seating, with 2 riding backward. Carry ons have to fit under your seat- like on an aircraft, put on the table, or between two people on the seat.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Budget Queen,

2 questions:

1. Is the long train trip on a bench seat sort of miserable?

2. One poster says that we can go down to the dining car to eat and another says that food is served at your assigned seat. Which is true?

The seats are not a hard slab...there is some padding and they are somewhat ergonomic. We did not find them uncomfortable, although it is a long ride. We rode as a family group, so enjoyed having a table for four (and the kids did not mind riding backwards). If you are a group of two, you will end up sharing a table with others.

The dining car is located below, and you are assigned a time when you can go downstairs and eat. Drinks are served up top, however.

I have included photos of both the dome car and the dining car to give you an idea of what to expect (on princess)

domecar.jpg.fdad8bd2f5eacc7e766887ab713431c3.jpg

diningcar.jpg.9fce1fb7fd3cf6de35c2aef70063c828.jpg

Hi! I'd like to know if there's a huge difference in scenery between the Denali-Talkeetna leg and Talkeetna-Anchorage leg? Which is the better option? Budget Queen mentioned the last 2 hours (in another thread) but I'm not sure if it's last 2 going to Denali or going to Anchorage. Thanks!

The stretch closer to Denali offered superior scenery. We were lucky with wildlife along the entire route, however (probably not typical, but saw several moose in mid May, as well as caribou and grizzly bear closer to Denali).

My "2 hour" reference, was for Whittier/Denali(Talkeetna) contracted Princess trains. Anchorage/Whittier is the superior scenery.

As for your question- I don't find Talkeetna/Denali better, UNLESS McKinley is viewable.

Archived