seating times during Eastern Med cruise?

Autum1031

Hi there,

I've read a lot of threads on this forum about the early/late dining quandry, but so far I haven't found any about the dining times on the Eastern Med cruises. Hopefully one of you fine people can answer my question!

DH and I are sailing on Legend of the Seas, 6/1/09, to the Eastern Med. The dining times on this cruise are later than normal--"early" is 6:45 PM, and late is I think 8:30 or 9 PM. We picked the early time, thinking 9ish would be too late, but now we're wondering if we should switch.

Many of our port times end at 6 or 7 PM on this cruise, and I'd hate to have to rush to dinner. Plus, we're pretty nervous about the "dining with strangers" bit, and we'd hope to have dinner companions that are roughly our age (30s) and situation (no kids). We like kids, we just don't want to spend our dinner surrounded by them! :)

Has anyone taken this cruise or similar, and can offer advice? I still think 9 Pm would be really, really late...but then it seems by all the other posts that you can snack in between.

Thanks!

They usually will put children at a table with other families.

No always. On our cruise to Bermuda, we were traveling alone. Late seating. We were seated with 2 other couples and a single mother with her 6 year old whose head was down on the children's menu, since he was too tired to hold it up.

My husband excused himself, went to the matre d' and got our table switched.

Last cruise (Panama Canal) we were seated with two families with children at a table for 10. we got it changed to the best table we've ever had!

Can never assume you won't be with children. The Panama Canal cruise was in early December and it had its share of kids.

Don't be nervous about "dining with strangers"! Once you introduce yourselves, you won't be "strangers" anymore. You already have cruising in common. Ask about their cruise history, which excursions they're doing, what places they've been in the past....the conversation will flow and all will be happy! A large table is alot of fun--we really look forward to dinner with our "new" friends! Don't be nervous!

We like the late seating, because we like to have drinks BEFORE dinner--no so much on drinking after dinner! This way, we get ready early, hit a bar and catch a buzz...we eat and party with our tablemates, and then relax for the rest of the night!

It's best to try and keep your normal dining schedule, tho---it you eat early at home, your tummy would rather eat early on vacation!

Berwyn,

I didn't know that RCL offered My Time Dining on this ship. Thanks for letting me know--I'll have to check into it! I don't really know how that works.

DH and I are introverted by nature, and don't really enjoy the meet and greet experience, but we decided that since it's a cruise that we need to give it a go! However it will be a lot easier if we also don't have to worry about the kid/family issue. (My apologies to all of you who have wonderful kids...we just don't feel comfortable around 'em, so why add to the stress level! :))

My bigger concern would be for the late dining time...if it would be *too* late, and then we'd either be hungry for hours, or just want to fall asleep after dinner. However, we're very active when we travel so we want to maximize our time at the ports.

Berwyn,

I didn't know that RCL offered My Time Dining on this ship. Thanks for letting me know--I'll have to check into it! I don't really know how that works.

DH and I are introverted by nature, and don't really enjoy the meet and greet experience, but we decided that since it's a cruise that we need to give it a go! However it will be a lot easier if we also don't have to worry about the kid/family issue. (My apologies to all of you who have wonderful kids...we just don't feel comfortable around 'em, so why add to the stress level! :))

My bigger concern would be for the late dining time...if it would be *too* late, and then we'd either be hungry for hours, or just want to fall asleep after dinner. However, we're very active when we travel so we want to maximize our time at the ports.

I rang yesterday to confirm that MTD is still on. The my cruise page on the Royal Caribbean website was still showing us as Main Dining. The lady said it was just teething troubles in the system as it's new.

How it works is they have a section of the dining room reserved for those who want to do it.

You can turn up anytime between when the restraunt opens and about 9.30 pm.

Also you can request to have a small table so you're not mixing with too many.

Also if you know what time you want to eat that day you can book the time slot in advance.

Also from what I've read on here if you're doing the Cairo trip like us we'll be back quite late.

WE're like you and would rather eat alone or a small group.

That's one reason we ate mainly in the 24 hr buffet on our last cruise.

Although everyone was very nice it was intimidating eating with a load of strangers on a big table when we ate in the Main Dining Room a couple of times.

Berwyn

WE're like you and would rather eat alone or a small group.

That's one reason we ate mainly in the 24 hr buffet on our last cruise.

Although everyone was very nice it was intimidating eating with a load of strangers on a big table when we ate in the Main Dining Room a couple of times.

Berwyn

Yes, the smaller group does sound a lot better! I always feel you get to know people a lot better this way. Thanks for posting this information here and also on the Roll Call for this cruise. I hope DH and I will be able to make the switch.

Yes, the smaller group does sound a lot better! I always feel you get to know people a lot better this way. Thanks for posting this information here and also on the Roll Call for this cruise. I hope DH and I will be able to make the switch.

Yes a small group like 2 or maximum of 4. I don't see what the fascination some on here go on about making friends with a group of strangers you're never going to see agian.

I don't do it on a hotel hoilday.

Berwyn

And from what I've read on other threads, as soon as you board the ship, head for the dining room and confirm with the maitre d' that you are scheduled for MTD for the cruise. Some people have said that they were "closed out" because they just showed up.

We were able to make the switch! We're happy about this new option and the flexibility it gives us.

Thanks for the words of warning/advice about checking with the MTD as soon as we get on board. Since we're switching a little last minute and have already received documents with "Main Dining" printed on them, I'll definitely want to double check.

One (probably obvious) question...just how do we go about finding the MTD?? Can you just go to the main dining room? Can you pick up a phone and call? I think probably better in person.

Archived