Cash Back Rates??

BigDfromTN

What am I missing on this deal?

It appears to me on one particular sailing.....(Holiday 6/15/09). If you spend 70.00 more per person (double occupancy) Carnival will give you up to $120.00 OBC per cabin (60.00 each).

That looks like your spending 70 to get 60! Why would anyone do this? :confused:

I found similar "deals" for a Destiny booking 6/15, except in that case the buyer would come out with a whopping $10:eek:. My irritation with the "deal" appearing to be a little sneaky kept me from booking. :cool: Well, that and my decision to try an AI for the first time ever! ;)

What am I missing on this deal?

It appears to me on one particular sailing.....(Holiday 6/15/09). If you spend 70.00 more per person (double occupancy) Carnival will give you up to $120.00 OBC per cabin (60.00 each).

That looks like your spending 70 to get 60! Why would anyone do this? :confused:

On my sailing the Cash back rate is $150 more PER PERSON over the early saver I booked. It is a five night cruise so I would be spending 300 extra to get 150 cash back total. :eek:

I originally booked our cruise at a Past Guest Rate, then about a week later noticed the Cash Back Rate. I called my PVP and it worked out that by changing to the Cash Back it SAVED us $120. Then last week there was another price drop and that saved us another $120, and we have $300 OBC. So.....it worked out for us, just do your homework.:D

Here's how it was explained to me when was booking :

The on board cash is not the only difference in what you are getting when you compare the "Early Saver" to the "Cash Back". The Cash back rate allows to to cancel with no penalty and no restrictions, provided you do so before final payment. With the Early Saver your deposit is not refundable from the moment you make it. It will allow you to make changes, at a cost of fifty dollars per person.

So if I book the "cash back" price, and then find I cannot go, I cancel and get the full amount of my $500 deposit (for a couple) back.

If I book the Early Saver and find I need to cancel. I have two choices:

1. Kiss the $500 goodbye, or

2. Reschedule the cruise to a date less than 12 months away, pay another $500 to make that deposit, and get $400 as onboard credit for the new cruise.

I consider the higher price I pay for the Cash Back price, to be insurance. Same as the travel insurance that I also buy. (BTW Travel insurance does not cover the losses incurred with changing and Early Saving booking.

2. Reschedule the cruise to a date less than 12 months away, pay another $500 to make that deposit, and get $400 as onboard credit for the new cruise..

thats interesting. Thats the first time I have read that the $400 you have left after paying the $50 change or cancel fee cant be used toward the deposit of the new cruise, you only get it as OBC.

Are you sure? Not flaming, just asking as never heard this before. If true, its going to have some upset.

Another gray area, you state the next cruise has to be taken within 12 months. I thought I read you just have to book it within 12 months, not take the newly scheduled cruise.

As folks have to cancel, if these terms are correct, I see some backlash.

Here's how it was explained to me when was booking :

The on board cash is not the only difference in what you are getting when you compare the "Early Saver" to the "Cash Back". The Cash back rate allows to to cancel with no penalty and no restrictions, provided you do so before final payment. With the Early Saver your deposit is not refundable from the moment you make it. It will allow you to make changes, at a cost of fifty dollars per person.

So if I book the "cash back" price, and then find I cannot go, I cancel and get the full amount of my $500 deposit (for a couple) back.

2. Reschedule the cruise to a date less than 12 months away, pay another $500 to make that deposit, and get $400 as onboard credit for the new cruise.

I consider the higher price I pay for the Cash Back price, to be insurance. Same as the travel insurance that I also buy. (BTW Travel insurance does not cover the losses incurred with changing and Early Saving booking.

The website says:

• What if I need to make changes to my ship or sailing date?

Ship and sailing date changes are allowed prior to the final payment due date, subject to a $50 service fee per person, per change. Changes made after the final payment due date are subject to standard cancellation penalties.

I dont read that to mean its only valid for a OBC.

The "deal" that you get with the Early saver is that the price may very well be significantly cheaper. Not always, but sometimes it's really cheaper and worth the gamble.

Hi Firefly, I found where I read that. It was a post on another board from someone who is usually very knowledgeable. I will try to contact him and see if he can direct me to his source. This is what he wrote.

The non refundable deposit stipulation does have alternatives. According to Carnival, should one book with the early saver discount, and later find the need to cancel, one can transfer the booking (for a $50 / person fee) to another sailing within 12 months. A full deposit would be required for the new booking and the original deposit will be refunded in the form of an OBC.

Incidentally, I've looked at some of the early saver rates currently posted on carnival.com, and they are substantial. .

I sent him a message, asking for his source. I'll post when he answers.

Firefly, I suppose that could mean that you can do the tranfer to another sailing with in 12 months. I read it to mean that you could tranfer, but the sailing was to be within 12 months. Who knows which he meant?

I'm hoping to find some definitive info on it. I'll keep looking.

I just switched my cruise in August for the $120 cash back. Yes, I had to pay $70 MORE per person. This is the thing, I am willing to pay a total of $140 today to be able to spend $240 later. I am getting $100 free. The last cruise we went on, my sign and sail card was up over $1700. so a free $100 is cool.

I just switched my cruise in August for the $120 cash back. Yes, I had to pay $70 MORE per person. This is the thing, I am willing to pay a total of $140 today to be able to spend $240 later. I am getting $100 free. The last cruise we went on, my sign and sail card was up over $1700. so a free $100 is cool.

NOW that makes sense!!! And yes I understand and have Resembled the High S&S bill!

Thanks all for posting, Good discussion. Keep it up.

Thanks - this answers some of the questions that I had about the Early Saver vs the Cash Back rate too. On the cruise we're looking at, the cash back rate is $180 more than the Early Saver rate and we each get $100 OBC.

I keep wavering back and forth on which rate to book under depending on what I read here at CC! :confused:

I'm thinking we may go with the Early Saver rate since the only reason we'd cancel would be a last minute emergency and we'd want to rebook for a future cruise if we had to do that.

If I had to cancel at the last minute with the Cash Back rate, I know we wouldn't get our money back, but would we be able to switch our booking to another cruise? Is there a penalty for doing that?

If I had to cancel at the last minute with the Cash Back rate, I know we wouldn't get our money back, but would we be able to switch our booking to another cruise? Is there a penalty for doing that?

If you are past final payment on either rate, you will be in penalty phase and lose your deposit. If you are within the last 7 days I believe, then you lose the entire fare, doesnt matter which fare you have booked.

With cash back you can switch without penalty up until final payment.

Hi Firefly333,

Well I haven't heard from that other poster, and I looked all over for a more specific answer, with no luck. So I called Carnival. And I still don't feel like I've gotten the whole answer. The gal I spoke to was making it very difficult for me to ask the exact question that I had. She really wanted to just read me the printed list of restrictions that you can find on line. I kept trying to talk and she kept talking on top of me. It was very annoying.

She did give me a specific answer about the 12 month issue at least. And yes, if you change the date of your booking, you pay the 50 dollars per person, and you must schedule the new booking to sail within 12 months of the date of the original cruise.

As for whether you have to re-deposit with a new $500 and just get a $400 refund in OBC, I'm not sure she ever understood my question. If she had seemed to really listen to my question, and IF I felt she really understood what I'd said, THEN I would be inclined to report that, no, that part is not true. That you just get charged another $50 each.

But when I tried to ask if she had ever dealt with someone who cancel and re-booked, if then they had just charge the credit card another $50 pp, I wasn't given a straight answer. She just started reading the list of restrictions again.

So I don't know what's really true. I sure wish one of the travel agents who post here, would step in and help us out. Do you know any of them? Maybe there's a way to contact them and ask. I think a TA would know for sure.

I think it is a lure for those who don't know any better.:rolleyes:

I don't think so. Some folks don't like the idea of the nonrefundable deposit required on the Early Saver....their plans could change and they'd end up losing money. Cash Back can be an alternative.

The "deal" that you get with the Early saver is that the price may very well be significantly cheaper. Not always, but sometimes it's really cheaper and worth the gamble.

Hi Firefly, I found where I read that. It was a post on another board from someone who is usually very knowledgeable. I will try to contact him and see if he can direct me to his source. This is what he wrote.

I sent him a message, asking for his source. I'll post when he answers.

The other "deal" with Early Saver is you can get price reduction credits up to 2-days before cruising...other rates stop at final payment.

Hello Firefly333, and everyone,

Well, I'm still trying to clarify this, and I've found some more information. Unfortunately this makes it all as clear as mud.

Take a look at this PDF file, from Carnival. I beleive it was really only meant to be read by travel agents. Especially read the last 1/3 of the last page. Page 5.

http://www.yourtravelbiz.com/rta/TRAVEL_COMPASS/images/Early_Saver_Overview.pdf

Does that help or hurt?

Well I've finally got a definitive answer. I called Carnival again. And this time got a fellow who seem to be confident in what he was saying. He said, yes the info in that PDF is true.

BTW heres the part of it that is pertinent.

What that last paragraph says is this:

"Future Cruise Credits are offered for cancellations outside of standard penalty in the unlikely event the guest is unable to immediately decide on their future sail date."

"The FCC amount is minus the $50 per person service fee assessed"

"Guest must sail within a year of cancellation.

Guest are not required to book another Early Saver rate.

Guest will have to re-deposit on their new reservation."

I asked specifically about that last line, and he said that yes, it means you have to make a new full deposit. But you can use the FCC as part of the cruise fare. It does not have to be an OBC.

So there you go. Final answer.

And I guess the moral of the story is that if you need to cancel an Early Booking rate, be ready to make the new reservation at the same time you cancel the first booking.

Archived