Looking for cabin selections for family of 5 What two cabins???

freewilly

Any suggestions choosing cabins for a family of 5. My kids are 10, 10 (with sp. needs) and 8 year old. I am trying to find what has worked for others in the past. For example enough privacy but still able to keep an eye on the kiddies. In the past we had room for 4 and other child stayed with Gramps., but he is unable to travel now.. Let me know what has worked for you and your family. Thanks

With our family of 4 we tend to book connecting cabins. This last cruise we booked one across the hall from the other. It was a bit cheaper, but we'll probably go back to connecting cabins as we like the ability to share the space.

You have lots of options. What cruiselines do you want to sail?

You can always do two connecting cabins. Most cruiselines have these available, but Carnival and RCCL tend to have more than other cruiselines, in multiple categories. Some RCCL and Carnival ships even have some pairs of balconies that connect to insides. RCCL also has some balconies that connect to oceanview cabins.

Carnival allows you to book 5 people in the same cabin on their older ships (Fantasy Class, Destiny, Triumph, and Victory) and also has some cabins for 5 on the new Dream.

RCCL has multiple types of family cabins, depending on the ship, that will accommodate 5 people. RCCL will also allow you to book 5 people into grand suites or owners suites. They also have some family suites that have 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, and then Oasis has even more options. To book the family staterooms (or book 5 people into a stateroom) you must call to book, they can't be booked online because there are minimum booking requirements.

Celebrity has the FOV category which will accommodate 5 people.

NCL has some cabins on the Sun that will accommodate 5 people. In addition, some of their larger suites will accommodate 5 people.

When our kids were younger (3 boys) we booked connecting rooms that way everyone had enough space to call their own and we could still pass back and forth. When they were super young (4,6,8) we kept the connecting door open all the time so we could keep an eye on them. I can't imagine what it would be like to have all 5 of us in one room especially with only one tiny bathroom and in a room the size of my closet at home. ;)

Our family of 5 just got back from the NCL Sky. We had inside adjoining rooms. The rooms were so small that I am glad we did it this way. Our kids are 11, 10, and 6. It did cost about $100 a night extra to have the two rooms vs. one room with 5 in it, (the sky does have a few of these) but I was glad to have the two bathrooms and the adjoining door we propped open for most of the time. The only complaint was that my husband and I were treated like seperate guests, because we were technically registered in different rooms. I couldn't charge on his room, or make dinner reservations under his room, he couldn't charge on mine although the bill came in one lump sum. I think that was the fault of the staff just being uninformed.

I took my kids to the kids club to register and it looked very small. Our ship had over 600 kids on it and the rooms were about 15x20 for each age group. My youngest didn't want to go because she couldn't be with her older siblings, my oldest thought it looked boring. Needless to say, we didn't have them go at all. I wasn't about to force them, it's a vacation. They did host a Easter Egg Hunt in one of the lounges and only about 20 kids were there. I don't think it was well advertised. Overall, I don't think I'll cruise on NCL again. Mainly because the food. It was good only in the special pay restaurants, the other places it was only mediocre. I think you comprimise quality and good service with the whole "freestyle" thing. Just my opinion. Another ship might be better.

I have 3 kids and we have a Family Oceanview (FOV)booked for our upcoming cruise on the Celebrity Constellation.

There is a bed for us (mom and dad) and a separate area for the kids (there is a divider ) for our 3 kids. We each will have our own t.v. My kids are 5 , 9 and 12.

The best thing about this stateroom is the balcony-242 square feet! Remember , an average inside cabin is around 170 square feet , sometimes smaller.

The stateroom itself is 271 square feet.....

Compare this to the Royal Suite-the veranda is 195 square feet!We will have 50 more for a much lower price!

on our other cruise we booked 2 staterooms , but I am really looking forward to our huge aft veranda , which is coveted on the Celebrity boards even by people without big families.

These FOV staterooms are available on the M class ships (Summit , Constellation , Infinity and Millenium.

Have fun!

Kim

I took my kids to the kids club to register and it looked very small. Our ship had over 600 kids on it and the rooms were about 15x20 for each age group. My youngest didn't want to go because she couldn't be with her older siblings, my oldest thought it looked boring. Needless to say, we didn't have them go at all. I wasn't about to force them, it's a vacation. They did host a Easter Egg Hunt in one of the lounges and only about 20 kids were there. I don't think it was well advertised. Overall, I don't think I'll cruise on NCL again. Mainly because the food. It was good only in the special pay restaurants, the other places it was only mediocre. I think you comprimise quality and good service with the whole "freestyle" thing. Just my opinion. Another ship might be better.

You just descibed our 2005 cruise with NCL.....I got off that ship saying, "NEVER AGAIN"...my husband had to talk me into the Diamond Princess cruise and I got off that ship saying, "When is our next cruise?"

Archived