Food on Freedom

dna515

$ I did think that the lobster tail in the dining room was excellent and no different from the supper club. T

Last dec, we ate at the SUnking and were told that they hadn't gotten any maine lobster in a a few weeks and that they were serving carib lobster tail. It could be that this is a permanent cost cutting measure. The carrib tails that I had had an iodine flavor to them.

If they are still serving carrib tail, I strongly advise not to order it and get something better, that is not served int the dining room. The porterhouse gets my vote, leftovers are great the next pulled out from cabin frig for breakfast.

Does anyone know how late the Fish & Chips station is open? Is it only available for lunch or is it like the Mongolian Grille and open a few evenings for dinner?

Fish & Chips is open daily 12:00 - 2:30pm.

Does anyone know how late the Fish & Chips station is open? Is it only available for lunch or is it like the Mongolian Grille and open a few evenings for dinner?

The Fish & Chips area is only open for lunch and closes around 2:30 or 3:30 depending upon the day. They have fried oysters and chips which are quite good as well.

I was aboard Freedom for her March 8th cruise and enjoyed the cuisine. I would rate it as being good to very good, with disappointments being in some of the beef entrees and some of the desserts. All of the steaks in the Dining Room were Flat Iron steaks; even the Chateaubriand was a cut from the shoulder and was grilled(!). Disappointing! Prime Rib was not a "true" prime rib and was served with gravy and not au jus. Cherries Jubilee was vanilla ice cream with cherry sauce on the side.

The lobster tails were listed as being Maine Lobster tails and I do believe they were. A good size and sweet tasting; well prepared. Other items I ordered in the Dining Room or tried in the Freedom Restaurant were quite good. Excellent deli and Pizza!

The Sun King Supper Club was worth the money. A fine dining experience in a lovely setting with unhurried, professional service. It was superior to the dinners I have experienced in Holland America's Pinnacle Grills.

Funny how everyones tastes are so different. I love all seafood, but didn't care for the fish and chips station at all - and I tried several items after hearing raves about them. I also love Mongolian but the smell was not very appetizing when we were on board. I'm sure if I had given it a try it would have been good, but with so many other choices, the long lines and again the smell, I skipped it. Pastrami on Rye - Yum - had several - even one from room service which was not quite as good as the ones from the deli but at 3 am it was good enough!

Archived