US currency

We will be traveling on a Southern Carribean cruise in January 2010. I just wanted to make sure that the places we will visit will all take US money? We will be stopping at St. Thomas, Tortola, Antigua, St. Lucia, and Barbados. We will be leaving from San Juan, I can only assume that they will take US dollars.

We will be traveling on a Southern Carribean cruise in January 2010. I just wanted to make sure that the places we will visit will all take US money? We will be stopping at St. Thomas, Tortola, Antigua, St. Lucia, and Barbados. We will be leaving from San Juan, I can only assume that they will take US dollars.
San Juan and St. Thomas better take US dollars, as they are the official currency of those two islands (as they are US territories). I've been to Antigua, St. Lucia and Barbados and thus I know those three will take US dollars (at least as of April 2008). I haven't been to Tortola, but since every island in the Caribbean that I've been to (nine) accept US currency, I would assume Tortoal will also.

Thanks so much for your quick responses! Very helpful. I figured that San Juan and St. Thomas did since they are US territory but wanted to be prepared. Thanks for suggesting the small bills. That will be really helpful. I don't mind coming back with some foreign currency to use for scrapbooking but I don't want a wallet full:eek:!!

Yes, they all accept it, good throughout the world really.

Change does not always come in dollars though. A guy on our cruise paid for two drinks with a $100 bill in Barbados. They gave him the change in Caribbean dollars:(

The only places that might not accept US dollars so readily are protectorates and territories that use the Euro - i'm thinking Guadeloupe and St Bart's maybe - I recall St. Maarten take USD quite happily as well as the Euro.

In the islands that use the Eastern Caribbean Dollar, make sure that you are talking the same currency. If the cabbie is thinking ECD and you pay in USD, you just gave him/her the best tip of the week.

2.68:1 is the fixed rate. It's a little easier if you think in terms of 8:3, something that costs $8 ECD will be $3 USD.

Yes, they all accept it, good throughout the world really.

Change does not always come in dollars though. A guy on our cruise paid for two drinks with a $100 bill in Barbados. They gave him the change in Caribbean dollars:(

I agree for most of the Caribbean, but not throughout the world. I have acted as banker many times for fellow cruisers who didn't have local currency.

Unless you are spending in a tourist place (more expensive), change usually comes in local currency.

During our recent visit to a number of Caribbean islands, I noticed those using US$ being taken advantage of.

It is easy to get local currency from ATMs. In Barbados, we bought beautiful stamps from the Post Office on the wharf, and asked for change in local currency. We then used this to travel across the island on local transport. A magical memorable day for $10, including treasured cricket stamps.

Archived