Beijing stay

goldenrod

We are taking a Tran-Pacific in Sept on the Diamond and will be staying in Beijing for three days at the end of the cruise would like to hear from those who have been their with any recommendations:D

Thanks

We are taking a Tran-Pacific in Sept on the Diamond and will be staying in Beijing for three days at the end of the cruise would like to hear from those who have been their with any recommendations:D

Thanks

We were on the same cruise last year and had arranged the post cruise stay through Princess.Do not stay at the Sheraton Great Wall hotel which is really out of the way. We went back to Beijing in February and stayed firstly at the GreatWorld in the World Trade Center area and after our cruise and cruise tour stayed at the Jin Gua around that area which is about 5 minutes walk from the Silk market and central to The temple of heaven and forbidden city,like 10 minutes by cab which is very cheap. Also loads of restaurants around that area.

Thanks

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza. It was recently upgraded, has a wonderful lobby and was reasonably priced. Have a great time.

Linda

Quote from Chinese Government Website

Chinese law requires that residents and foreigners carry identification at all times.

Local police have begun enforcing the existing law that requires every foreigner to have in their possession a valid passport. A photo copy of a passport will not be accepted.

American visitors to China should carry their passports with them, out of reach of pickpockets.

Yes I have been stopped, yes the colleague I was with was detained for not carrying a passport. The "color photocopy" she had was the one thing that made the Chinese Officials laugh and believe me they had no humor in this situation.

This all happened as the result of an innocent photograph taken in Tainanmen Square (before we saw the sign stating that pictures could not be taken without the permission of the chairman). If my colleague had carried her passport, she would have been on her way with a bit of a lecture (as I was). Instead she spent a signficant amount of time in a very unpleasant environment, with Chinese Officials that refused to speak English.

Between the company we worked for and the legal assistance from the travel insurance she had purchased, the siutation was eventually mitigated.

I always verify the passport requirements of the country I am going to and make sure I comply. It just makes life so much easier :) FYI -- Japan is another country that requires you to carry a passport.

Each time I have traveled to Beijing, I have had a great time and would not hesitate to go again. Grab a Frommer's book, figure out what you would enjoy seeing / doing and enjoy.

Quote from Chinese Government Website

Chinese law requires that residents and foreigners carry identification at all times.

Local police have begun enforcing the existing law that requires every foreigner to have in their possession a valid passport. A photo copy of a passport will not be accepted.

American visitors to China should carry their passports with them, out of reach of pickpockets.

Yes I have been stopped, yes the colleague I was with was detained for not carrying a passport. The "color photocopy" she had was the one thing that made the Chinese Officials laugh and believe me they had no humor in this situation.

This all happened as the result of an innocent photograph taken in Tainanmen Square (before we saw the sign stating that pictures could not be taken without the permission of the chairman). If my colleague had carried her passport, she would have been on her way with a bit of a lecture (as I was). Instead she spent a signficant amount of time in a very unpleasant environment, with Chinese Officials that refused to speak English.

Between the company we worked for and the legal assistance from the travel insurance she had purchased, the siutation was eventually mitigated.

I always verify the passport requirements of the country I am going to and make sure I comply. It just makes life so much easier :) FYI -- Japan is another country that requires you to carry a passport.

Each time I have traveled to Beijing, I have had a great time and would not hesitate to go again. Grab a Frommer's book, figure out what you would enjoy seeing / doing and enjoy.

That must be really local or a new law as I was just in Shanghai and the hotel took my passport and that was the same thing in Beijing a year ago.

Thanks

3 Days is just enough to visit all the biggies:

Places to visit:

1/2 day Great Wall: Badaling section, if you like to hike and are healthy do the steep side. You'll be rewarded with some great views and less crowds. If you make that a full day stop at Ming's grave. Personally don't think this is too worthy a stop.

Forbidden Palace and Temple of Heaven. Can do these in one day

Summer Palace: A full half day to explore the grounds.

Beijing Night Market: A sight to behold with all sorts of interesting and shocking things to eat.

World Famous Peking Duck: This is the one and only place "Beijing Hepingmen Quanjude Peking Roast Duck Resturant"

If you are a sports fan I guess the olympic venues. I've been told they are already starting to look run down and the ticket prices are expensive.

Enjoy

Archived