Bonine vs Patch

karenmax

I've never tried the patch, but when I take bonine, I would be absolutely wiped out until about noon the next day (it may be that I take some antihistamines for allergies, and the drowsiness compounds). But it was better than nausea at least.

Then before my last cruise, I read here about the Mythbusters (a Discovery Channel show) episode where they scientifically tested out different motion sickness remedies. For them, the patch was worthless, bonine worked (but made them drowsy) and ginger was just as effective with no side effects.

So, I brought ginger pills along, and, even though we had some pretty rough seas a couple of nights, and were on a high deck forward, I never felt even a little quesy. So, I'm convinced.

Here's the link to the mythbusters episode:

http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2005/11/episode_43_seasickness_cures_f.html

I too swear by Bonine. I just got off my second cruise and had to take it every day. I would take one in the morning with breakfast and one at night before bed. I am rather sensitive to motion and this helped alot. Even in the "rough" seas on the last sea day. I tried not taking it one night and got somewhat green while eating dinner. I also found it only makes me drowsy on the first day and after that I am fine. My 11 year old son also needed it several times and my dh and dd had no trouble and didn't take anything except for the last day.

I too swear by Bonine. I have been using it since our first cruise 15 years ago. For our last couple of cruises out of SF in the fall, I started taking it a couple of days prior to boarding the ship. After a couple of days I am just fine, always have enough if I need it.

Good luck.

I am really greatful for all the advise. I think I will try ginger - if that's not enough I'll add the wrist band and I will also have bonine with me.

But...............

I will start my vacation with the attitude that I will feel great and have a wonderful time. Maybe just knowing that I have all these "cures" with me will be enough. :)

Thanks again,

Karen

It was stopped in the US voluntarily (yet available elsewhere) because the FDA would have pulled it otherwise. The "manufacturing problem" was related to the time-release aspect, which increased the side effects in some people (due to increased dosages in shorter time periods). It was pulled in 1995 (not mid-1980s) and it took several years to be re-introduced in the US (1998) -- 3 yrs to figure out the proper time release.

You're right, I meant to put mid 1990's, not 80s.

Archived