Wireless Internet Now Available Fleetwide

jayevee44

But who out there picks a cruise based off their rates for accessing the Internet? I am guessing absolutely nobody.

jsea - I admit, I stick with Princess because I get free internet :) I save about $100 per cruise with it.

jsea - I admit, I stick with Princess because I get free internet :) I save about $100 per cruise with it.

Well, maybe I should alter my statement to say BESIDES CORAL. ;)

But seriously, wouldn't you say that your familiarity and affinity for Princess also plays a role in your line preference?

I just don't understand how people can be upset at Princess for charging more for wireless than it cost them to implement yet don't have a problem paying $1.75 or whatever it is nowadays for some carbonated water and sugar. They're making a killing off Coke. Another example is photos in the gallery for upwards of $20. As we all know, this list can go on and on. Imagine, them taking advantage of a captive market. Who would have ever imagined?

Well, maybe I should alter my statement to say BESIDES CORAL. ;) But seriously, wouldn't you say that your familiarity and affinity for Princess also plays a role in your line preference?

LOL - yea, you are probably right. It is the souffles that keeps me with Princess :) BTW - I just made January reservations for "you know where".

If you have G, it will work with B... in fact, if you have used your PC in many places at all, you may well have been on a B network.

If you do not have a wireless card, getting one at Office Max, or whatever store ahead of time is probably a good idea. You can get one for under $40 these days. Either a card, or a USB plug in, which works really nice, unless your mouse is USB and you have only one port.

I carry both a card and a USB. Sometimes one works better than the other. Weird stuff.

As to price, no problem if they want to make a profit, but they should not rip you off (too bad).

As to using laptop vs. their internet terminals: unless it is free, using your own PC takes less time vs. using web based email. I noticed on the last two ships I was on, the connections were rather slow and almost painful. But downloading mail onto my pc for offline reading went fairly well. Was on Seabourn and Carnival Spirit this year.

LOL - yea, you are probably right. It is the souffles that keeps me with Princess :) BTW - I just made January reservations for "you know where".

Princess' souffles are one thing we always miss when sailing with other lines.

Hey, I can't blame you... it's warm "you know where" and I know that by the time January comes around I could use a reprieve from the cold weather (yikes, imagine if I lived someplace where it really got cold). What ship are you sailing? Is it MUTS-equipped? If so, I definitely want to hear your impressions upon your return.

We, in our infinite wisdom, will be doing a mini-tour of Europe for New Year's. COLD, unpacking and packing multiple times, and no ocean views to pacify me. Oh well.

Jsea - I am disappointed, you didn't catch my clue! Where I am going in January - there are no MUTS but plenty of flat panels. ;)

I am off to the Star Princess next week - that is if I get packed. No MUTS on that either (yet). Enjoy Europe! I am sure it is gorgeous over New Years.

jsea

No you can't jump off the ship to another ship, but in deciding which cruise line to go in the first place it can be a decision point. For me, if I have a choice of cruise lines for a particular cruise, the internet pricing becomes one of several decision points, much like which port the ship leaves from etc.

bhopal21,

Based on how they worded it, it could be either. B came out first so there are many b only cards out there. If they are using a B router (that is the thing that your wireless card is talking to) then either your b or g card work. Your g card would just talk at b speed. If they are using g router then your g card could be talking at either b or g speed. If everyone that is using wireless internet has a g card then the router would use g speed. However, if even one person has a b only card then everyone drops down to b speed.

Jsea - I am disappointed, you didn't catch my clue! Where I am going in January - there are no MUTS but plenty of flat panels. ;)

Geez, you really have me scratching my head on this one... I knew I was slow... but not this slow ;). In your clue, should I put emphasis on FLAT? If so, I might have a better idea...

I am off to the Star Princess next week - that is if I get packed. No MUTS on that either (yet). Enjoy Europe! I am sure it is gorgeous over New Years.

Have a great time on Star! And get packing... you don't want to miss the ship. Cruises around the holidays are a lot of fun, especially with Princess decking them out with decorations. Since you have free Internet use you have no excuse but to keep everyone updated 'en-vivo'.

Geez, you really have me scratching my head on this one... I knew I was slow... but not this slow ;). In your clue, should I put emphasis on FLAT? If so, I might have a better idea...

jsea - MacWorld!

I am Platinum so I will be posting from the ship.

No you can't jump off the ship to another ship, but in deciding which cruise line to go in the first place it can be a decision point. For me, if I have a choice of cruise lines for a particular cruise, the internet pricing becomes one of several decision points, much like which port the ship leaves from etc.

Point taken. We have always picked destination first, then cruise line (if that's an option), then ship (usually isn't an option), and then, the rest, well... it's just the rest.

How much do other cruise lines charge for "unlimited" Internet packages? I know on RCI we paid $150 or so for an unlimited room package for a 12-day. If we had been with Princess we would have had free use in the café, but itinerary and ship trumped all other concerns (within reason).

jsea - MacWorld!

I am Platinum so I will be posting from the ship.

I'm glad I didn't post what I was thinking!!! I am WAY slower than I ever thought. :D Please forgive me.

Wow, I am über-jealous. Do you normally go? I would love to see one of Jobs keynotes... especially where he introduces something incredible.

We have been waiting and waiting for G5'd PowerBooks. You think there's any chance this January? I know I'll be checking in to the various Mac sites all day to find out.

Have a great time there, too! And enjoy all the 'freebies' (I use that term loosely since I know they are really far from free).

jsea - I am not sure I want to know what you were thinking. :)

Yes - I ususally go. I just got the approval from work this week - I wasn't sure if I was going to go or not this year. As usual - I am not going to try to outguess the guy in the black shirt. I just hope to see/play with Tiger.

jsea - I am not sure I want to know what you were thinking. :)

:D

Yes - I ususally go. I just got the approval from work this week - I wasn't sure if I was going to go or not this year. As usual - I am not going to try to outguess the guy in the black shirt. I just hope to see/play with Tiger.

Good call!

Archived