Did the Stingray Tour...what else?

luvtwocruz

Hi, what are other favorite things to do on the island? Do they offer moped rentals, Golf cart rentalsso we may explore on our own?

Do you recommend a catamaran-if so-any to book away from the cruise desk that you'd recommend?

last year we just grabbed a shuttle at the pier to take us to 7 mile beach. The shuttle drive can adivse you a good place to go along there, usually there is a charge, along with beach chairs rental, etc.

last year we just grabbed a shuttle at the pier to take us to 7 mile beach. The shuttle drive can adivse you a good place to go along there, usually there is a charge, along with beach chairs rental, etc.

There shouldn't be a charge for just beach access. Beaches are public to the high water mark (and thus free). Both the Sea Grape and Royal Palms sections of Seven Mile Beach have great free facilities (showers, restrooms, etc.) plus chair/umbrella rentals, watersports operators, and a restaurant/bar. Royal Palms is a bit closer to the port, but that's the main difference between the two sections as far as I've ever been able to tell.

There is a moped rental place downtown, not far from the pier, towards the left along the water. I've never seen golf cart rentals anywhere other than at the golf course. :D

We are just off the Carnival Liberty which included a stop in Grand Cayman. Before we left, I did a lot of research on dolphin swims, as we were bringing my granddaughter and this was something we wanted her to experience. My husband and I had previously done a dolphin swim at Discovery Cove in Orlando Florida.

We were provided with free transportation to Dolphin Cove. We were late getting a tender, and the group of four that was also taking the swim had gone ahead on the van, but a representative waited for us and took us in her own car. Once we arrived, I was impressed by the beauty of the location, as Dolphin Cove is a lagoon, instead of a tank. After an introduction, my husband and granddaughter were taken in the water to begin their swim. I was able to stand on a platform and take video, which is not permitted at most other places.

The staff were so friendly, and the dolphin swim was magical for my husband and granddaughter. I was also treated to some behaviors by another dolphin, near where I was standing, by one of the trainers. It was such a special experience. Their love for their work and the dolphins is so apparent, and this makes things so much fun for all involved.

After the swim, we took a walk on the nature trail which is across the street. Here, there are many colorful parrots with a guide who allows you to hold them and take pictures. This area is very pretty, with all natural twigs/wood that have been gathered to make the perches. I was told that future plans include a restaurant on the second floor, a shark encounter, and a combined swim/string ray city tour, as the cove has it's own dock and boat. I can imagine the views out to sea from the restaurant, once completed, will be gorgeous.

This was the best day of our cruise. We all left with a big smile on our faces. The complimentary transportation is another nice perk. We will definitely be visiting Grand Cayman again in the future, and a visit to Dolphin Cove is number one on our list. We are considering a land vacation, so we can take our time with the many wonderful things Grand Cayman has to offer.

I hope that this review is helpful. While doing my research, I found some shady things, but we ended up booking with what turned out, for us at least, to be the best.

No, Dolphin Cove is not the same as the one advertised on this page. To get to their web site go to http://www.caymandolphincove.com. They need to work on this as it is very difficult to find through a google search.

The outfit advertised on this page tried to tell me that dolphin cove was not yet opened. Also, they do not provide free transportation but Dolphin Cove does.

Good luck!

Hi. We are practically neighbors, I live in Media, PA. Thank you so much for your review. I have been waiting and watching for reviews. Did the person transporting you from the pier have your name on a sign or how did you find them? Thank you again.

Did you book through the ship or on your own? I emailed them at the above link and was surprised at their response:

It would be a pleasure to have you have you here at Dolphin Cove. Please speak with your Shore Excursion Manager and they would be able to advise you about prices and availability. Your cruise line purchases all available slots for our programs and we wouldn’t be able to book you for that day. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us.

Did you book through the ship or on your own? I emailed them at the above link and was surprised at their response:

It would be a pleasure to have you have you here at Dolphin Cove. Please speak with your Shore Excursion Manager and they would be able to advise you about prices and availability. Your cruise line purchases all available slots for our programs and we wouldn’t be able to book you for that day. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us.

If your cruise line does an excursion through a particular tour operator, that tour operator is not allowed to sell you the excursion directly. Their contract with the cruise lines prevents it... :(

I believe in Jamaica you can only book through the cruise line, not through Dolphin Cove. However, in Grand Cayman, we booked directly with Dolphin Cove. In my initial email, they said something about talking to the shore excursion representative, but I told them we were coming via cruise ship, and the cruise line does not currently have any of the excursions in Grand Cayman to Dolphin Cove. I really do have a problem with booking for more money with the cruise line, than you would pay had you been staying on land for the same excursion. That is why I chose not to do this in Jamaica.

The representative had a sign with our last name on it, party of 3, and were standing right outside of the gate that we came through off the tender. Quick and easy to find her.

I believe in Jamaica you can only book through the cruise line, not through Dolphin Cove. However, in Grand Cayman, we booked directly with Dolphin Cove. In my initial email, they said something about talking to the shore excursion representative, but I told them we were coming via cruise ship, and the cruise line does not currently have any of the excursions in Grand Cayman to Dolphin Cove. I really do have a problem with booking for more money with the cruise line, than you would pay had you been staying on land for the same excursion. That is why I chose not to do this in Jamaica.

The representative had a sign with our last name on it, party of 3, and were standing right outside of the gate that we came through off the tender. Quick and easy to find her.

We were the other party of four on the sign and I agree that we had a wonderful experience with Dolphin Cove in Grand Cayman! I was also so pleased to see how they treated CECRN as an observer! I had been in Cozumel at Dolphin Dicoveries only 2 months before as an observer myself and the difference was amazing!!

In Jamaica they do have an arrangement/contract with the cruiseline and are unable to sell the tour on their own except for last minute/late day time. Our guide in GC had come from Jamaica and I discussed this at length with her.

I am in the process of writing my full review of the Carnival Liberty and the day in Grand Cayman with full details of this excursion is up next up if you are interested in reading:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=974753

CECERN I do have a question for you so if you could send me an email to ItswithaZ@aol.com and put Cruise Critic in the subject I would appreciate it!

Archived