Hotel Continental - Barcelona

Anybody stay at the Hotel Continental in Barcelona. How is it for service, rooms, cleanliness, location etc. Is it noisy due to its location? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Last time in Barcelona we stayed at Hotel Colon and loved it but prices are up quite a bit, especially compared to the Continental.

I'm also interested in the Hotel Continental Palacete in Barcelona. Any info?

I bet 8 couples on our Jade cruise stayed at the Continental. We stayed at the Duc de la Victoria and were very well pleased. Both have a great location and the price is about the same. The Continental does have food included which the Duc does not, but our room was quiet and clean for sure. Check Tripadvisor Barcelona for reviews. That might be of some help for you. Nancy

We stayed at the Palacete last May for 4 days. Its a great little hotel. Its very pink and looks like something out of Versailles, but its clean and the staff are really helpful. There is a 24 hr buffet which you could live off, but probably won't! There is also free wine, beer, sodas and water(handy to grab one before your day out). All the plates and cutlery are disposable to save on costs and the tables and chairs in the dining room are plastic, but all tastefully covered in cloth covers. It is absolutely fine. There are 2 PC's for free internet access. The Palacete is about 2 blocks (5-10 minute) walk from Placa de Catalunya and there is not as much noise as the Continental on Las Ramblas would get. All the hotel is on the 1st floor and the only problem is that you have to climb 3 short flights of steps (about 15 steps in all) to get to the lift, so if you have mobility issues it could be a problem. There is a taxi rank right outside the door which is handy. I'd stay there again no problem at all. http://www.hotelcontinental.com/

Simon

We stayed at the Palacete last May for 4 days. Its a great little hotel. Its very pink and looks like something out of Versailles, but its clean and the staff are really helpful. There is a 24 hr buffet which you could live off, but probably won't! There is also free wine, beer, sodas and water(handy to grab one before your day out). All the plates and cutlery are disposable to save on costs and the tables and chairs in the dining room are plastic, but all tastefully covered in cloth covers. It is absolutely fine. There are 2 PC's for free internet access. The Palacete is about 2 blocks (5-10 minute) walk from Placa de Catalunya and there is not as much noise as the Continental on Las Ramblas would get. All the hotel is on the 1st floor and the only problem is that you have to climb 3 short flights of steps (about 15 steps in all) to get to the lift, so if you have mobility issues it could be a problem. There is a taxi rank right outside the door which is handy. I'd stay there again no problem at all. http://www.hotelcontinental.com/

Simon

I think this is a bit misleading. The rooms are actually on the second floor and there are a few that have an additional 3 or 4 steps to get to. So after you climb the stairs to get to the lift, which is basically for luggage, there is a full flight of stairs to reach the hotel. You can take the lift but it was not built for passengers, is very small and has a rather low weight limit that further restricts passenger usage. (I don't think it takes more than 400 pounds) Anyone with mobility issues should look elsewhere.

We stayed at the Palacete in November and would stay there again in a heartbeat. The buffet didn't excite us but we did manage breakfast (cereal & toast) and took full advantage of the drinks and internet access. The location was perfect and it really is a unique little hotel.

We have also stayed at this hotel. The location is very good and the front desk people were very nice. I did not feel that they were very knowledgeable on restaurants in Barcelona so do your research before going to the hotel. The buffet was sufficient for breakfast and a drink/snack between meals. Rooms were clean and of a decent size - just not very exciting. However, for the price, they are fine.

Our two night stay at the Hotel Continental in February was wonderful! We had a room with a balcony overlooking Las Ramblas and I loved every minute sitting out there with a glass of (free) wine and enjoying the street action. They have recently installed shades that roll down with the touch of a button which keep the room dark and blot out any street noise when you want to to to sleep. We foung the 24 hour food and drinks MORE than adequate after being on a 21 day cruise, that is for sure. We had done the tapas thing pre-cruise, so what the hotel offered was great for us and we never went hungry.

Simon

Agree with Simon ;)

I'm confused about the steps and elevator at the Continental. I will be traveling with one asthmatic, one triple bypass, and one on heart meds that keeps heart rate low making excessive steps difficult. A flight of steps I'm certain they can all handle, but several flights and they will be gasping away. Could someone clarify the stair situation for me please. Are we talking a flight, 2 flights, or more? Thanks! :)

I'm confused about the steps and elevator at the Continental. I will be traveling with one asthmatic, one triple bypass, and one on heart meds that keeps heart rate low making excessive steps difficult. A flight of steps I'm certain they can all handle, but several flights and they will be gasping away. Could someone clarify the stair situation for me please. Are we talking a flight, 2 flights, or more? Thanks! :)

There are about 3 steps off the street. Then 2 short flights (one about 5 steps, one about 7 [ This is all from memory, so don't quote me!!]). This gets you to the level of the lift (elevator). As said, this is not a proper enclosed lift (more like a glorified baggage lift), but is perfectly adequate to get 2 or 3 people a time up to the level of the hotel. Of course there is a normal staircase as well. Once up there all the hotel is on one level, except for a few of the rooms which have 2 or 3 steps up to them. When booking, just ask for a room without approach steps.

Hope this clarifies everything.

Simon

Archived