How's the sushi?

dna515

I absolutely looove sushi! I'm sailing the Freedom on July 4 (yay, I'm getting the itch!) How is the sushi buffet? From what I understand, it's only open for a couple of hours each day. Does anyone know when?

Which is your favorite roll?

I didnt care for the sushi. Not enough raw fish used. It was a little wierd. I like avacado and they didnt use that the one night I looked, it was some other green veggie. Kinda wierd imo. I only had it once. (and I usually like sushi). Too many other good things to settle for wierd sushi.

Everytime we have cruised we have gotten the sushi--usually opens at 5 until 8 or something like that. It'll be in the caper. It's good! We all liked it and it's a nice thing to do before dinner. We would all meet and have drinks and sushi then walk around and get pictures taken and then go to dinner at 8.

They serve from 5:30 to 8:30. Or until they run out. But we never saw that happen. The sushi is hit and miss. They put 3 to 4 different kinds on a plate. Some are good and some are just Ok.

Here is a picture of the Sushi bar on the Liberty.

liberty044.jpg.c3d1f2488f518f638ab12c02b1b898f9.jpg

I don't eat it, but my wife and daughters do. They think it is nasty. They don't give up though, they try it each cruise and say the same thing- it is nasty! Maybe we could take it off ship and use it to attract fish when we are snorkling?:p

FWIW, they like the sushi from our Costco.

Maybe we could take it off ship and use it to attract fish when we are snorkling?:p

Bait for snorkeling is a great idea! I'll make sure to bring a purse and stuff a bunch of rolls in there!:D

Bait for snorkeling is a great idea! I'll make sure to bring a purse and stuff a bunch of rolls in there!:D

Heh.

I think it's better than fish bait, but it's not very good for sushi.

If you really like Sushi, especially if you get "exotic" stuff (ie, things other than salmon and tuna), then you shouldn't expect much. If you just want to have a sushi-like snack before dinner, then it's fine.

My $0.02

- Steve

I don't eat it, but my wife and daughters do. They think it is nasty. They don't give up though, they try it each cruise and say the same thing- it is nasty! Maybe we could take it off ship and use it to attract fish when we are snorkling?:p

FWIW, they like the sushi from our Costco.

Your post would be exactly what my DH would say!:D

Most of Carnival's sushi is cooked, cured, not 'raw fish'. You can find a decent cured (raw) sushi at the fish chips bar upstairs on the lido. But it's not raw fish..and sushi isn't raw fish either..it's the rice.

However Disney does have fresh sushi..but I think their character placement is a bit over the top there.

nemo.jpg

Most of Carnival's sushi is cooked, cured, not 'raw fish'. You can find a decent cured (raw) sushi at the fish chips bar upstairs on the lido. But it's not raw fish..and sushi isn't raw fish either..it's the rice.

However Disney does have fresh sushi..but I think their character placement is a bit over the top there.

nemo.jpg

This is very cute. Thanks for the photo

Serious answer.

The sushi refers to the rice..it can be stuffed with anything vegies..etc.

Sashimi is raw fish. And you won't find true raw fish on board.

The closest thing you can find to that is a block of cured 'soked in spices' tuna. At the fish and chips station upstairs on th lido. Very good..served on a watermelon cube with wasabi and ginger on the side.

Downstairs at the sushi bar. they do a decent rice..seaweed wrap stuff. But the fish element is either cured, smoked or steamed. Salmon, Eel, shrimp..cured tuna. It won't be raw fish. Logistics would prevent that. But it's nice for a fix..and if you crave a fix..try the Fish/chip bar upstairs and get some cured tuna on the watermelon. It's the closest 'raw' fish you'll find on board.

I absolutely looove sushi! I'm sailing the Freedom on July 4 (yay, I'm getting the itch!) How is the sushi buffet? From what I understand, it's only open for a couple of hours each day. Does anyone know when?

Which is your favorite roll?

I hear the sushi is very good..and watch out for that FISH AND CHIPS:eek::):p

A few years ago (or maybe a little longer) they had what they called sushi on the Lido Deck. It was awful! Then when I saw the sushi again, the before dinner sushi - I thought it would also be awful. I must state that I am a self-professed sushi snob. I thought it was quite good. Some better than other, but I was pleasantly surprised for the most part.

was on the Destiny recently and i have to say I was very disappointed with the sushi. I am a sushi lover and this sushi was kind of a "wannabe"

No real raw fish and the rice wasn't even that good. I would save your calories for the warm chocolate melting cake

Archived