No compassion

I'm sorry you were robbed, but I don't see what the ship could reasonably do.

1. This happens in all ports, every trip. It's very, very common. Cruise ships travel to third world countries, and some of the people there -- with no chance to get a decent job EVER -- do turn to theft. They know that they're not likely to be caught; even if they are caught, the victims often have to return to the ship rather than stay to make the report, etc. For them, the potential rewards are high and the risks are low.

2. If the ship starts cautioning people, it's going to make folks think twice about going ashore -- and that'll hurt the cruise line's business. They simply aren't going to allow their passengers to get the idea that it's dangerous to go ashore.

3. Even if they were going to warn people, it would've been pointless. By the time they had the opportunity to do so, the ship would've been leaving Cozumel. What could they do to protect themselves once they were back onboard?

The ports of call are no different than your home town or your home port. New York, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale have plenty of criminals that prey on tourists. Any town in any country 'round the world has thieves and muggers. It's a fact of life the whole world round. And the police anywhere aren't going to bother much about it, what can they do? The police at the port of call showed more interest than they would here in Baltimore.

I have never had a problem in Nassau either(so I guess I'm a pro there too), but when the OP was told by the cruise line that they would get back to them about an incident and they didn't, well the ball is dropped. And RCCL blames the economy on their stock price? Guest service should be their #1 priority as this point!
Miscommunications are quite common, especially in stress filled situations. All we know is how the OP interpreted what RCI security said they would do.

I don't see a connection to the cruise line. Those islands are sketchie at best and you must keep your head on a swivel at all times. If you are clipped in downtown Nassau, or some other port and you are ok afterward count your blessings and move on. I think most people are aware of the risks associated with travel to those places. I don't need to be warned that someone tried to steal a camera in Nassau. I have been to Nassau and I know the problems there. I have been approached numerous times for narcotics. In the states if you are in an area where people come up to you randomly to sell you drugs you know you are in a bad area. I think the original poster needed a hug and a pat on the head. Maybe the Captain should have been more atuned to her needs. But this had nothing to do with the cruise ship or their security people.

Just because the Captain was standing near by does not mean she was paying attention to the conversation or heard what was discussed. The Captain of the 3/4 nighter goes through the reception line way too often for them to pay much attention to casual conversations.

This has been an interesting thread to read. I have to say that I'm sorry you had to endure one of life's darker moments. Thankfully it all ended well, other than a bruised arm.

That being said, I don't know what more you could have reasonably expected from the ship or crew. The CD had already said that he was sorry. Unfortunately, I'm sure the crew hears of this sort of incident fairly regularly. And like all of us, they become somewhat jaded to it expecially since you didn't suffer a loss of your valuables. But obviously to you, it wasn't like that. It was an assault on you, not some "person" you've never heard about. The captain may have heard you or maybe not. I know in my place of business, it gets hectic and I "zone out". Not all that unusual. People often come in thinking that I remember them. That would be nice but I deal with hundreds of people each week. Much as I would like to remember, it isn't going to happen.

Again, I'm sorry you had to experience this but in reality, there was nothing more the crew could have done.

2P.P1

Archived