Is my gray matter functioning?

hockeyken

:confused: Tired of researching, and ready to book now. Going to Eastern Med. Nov. 2010...30th anniv.Dates and itineraries narrowed to Princess and Azamara, Holy Land/12 days.....Ancient Empires/14 days.

Itinerary: edge to AZ. Includes Istanbul/Ephesus/Egypt...my top 3 must sees.(Plus 2 more days!)

Cabins: mini suite/Princess Sky Suite/Azamara.......about equal

Food: definite edge to Azamara????

Service: definite edge to Azamara???

Costs: same (as listed on web site)

All my research indicates Azamara is superior for food & service ( and this is NOT a criticism of Princess).

QUESTIONS: If the above is true, is Princess overpriced? The sober, still functioning part of my brain is telling me to choose Azamara...is this a good idea?

I welcome comments & ideas from any who have sailed both or either.

Thanks, and may your martini be bottomless.

Ken

:confused: Tired of researching, and ready to book now. Going to Eastern Med. Nov. 2010...30th anniv.Dates and itineraries narrowed to Princess and Azamara, Holy Land/12 days.....Ancient Empires/14 days.

Itinerary: edge to AZ. Includes Istanbul/Ephesus/Egypt...my top 3 must sees.(Plus 2 more days!)

Cabins: mini suite/Princess Sky Suite/Azamara.......about equal

Food: definite edge to Azamara????

Service: definite edge to Azamara???

All my research indicates Azamara is superior for food & service ( and this is NOT a criticism of Princess).

QUESTIONS: If the above is true, is Princess overpriced? The sober, still functioning part of my brain is telling me to choose Azamara...is this a good idea?

I welcome comments & ideas from any who have sailed both or either.

Thanks, and may your martini be bottomless.

Ken

We leave on the Quest in 10 days so I do hope my appletinis are bottomless..

What I love about Azamara..Country club casual dress (no formal nights) Dinner at anytime with anyone and anywhere, only 700 passengers, the library, the coffee bar, and the outstanding service, among other things..I have been on 12 Princess it is a very competent cruise line but very mass market..Azamara is very different and I have 3 cruises booked in 2009!

I vote for Azamara..

Have a great trip!

Jancruz1

Ken

These two points are enough for me to easily choose AZ. The rest is just gravy.

Hi Ken !

I think your post spelled it out perfectly. No disrespect to Princess, but with the parameters you mentioned, I'd go with Azamara in a heartbeat. We enjoyed Quest very much, and hope to sail on Journey in late 2009 or Early 2010.

Please let us know what you decide, and good luck. Enjoy your Cruise !

Hi Ken,

We did the Ancient Empires itinerary on Azamara Quest in October '08 and found that Azamara was exactly what we were looking for in a cruise line. We really enjoyed open dining, no formal nights, the excellent food quality (enjoyed all 4 dining venues), small ship, great service and very nice decor. The itinerary was also very interesting.

The only thing I would suggest is that you consider October instead of November. Weather will be a bit warmer and daylight hours will be longer in October. We had very comfortable temps in mid-October & lots of sunshine.

Good luck with your decision.

:D The votes are in!!! Azamara it is, which was my private decision while I posted this query.

To Host Andy, bruce-r, Jancruz: your replies were succinct yet moving, I really can't wait now to experience Azamara.

To Susan-M: your comment about October is right on, but unfortunately due to business reasons ( October is one of my highest earning months, and November is very slow) I cannot do October!

I initially had reservations about spending $11,000 for this cruise ( hopefully and probably it will come down before departure), but now I feel much better, and even very enthusiastic. What a great group of people there are on this board, willing to give of their time and experience to help a stranger.

A great big thank you from a Canadian friend!!!!

Ken

Have you abandoned Oceania? Thought we might meet on the April 18th 36 night 2010....:confused:

Absolutely I have not abandoned Oceania..I love everything about it..I had just gone to all of the ports and thought I would try a different experience and found Azamara which I love also!!

At this time I am thinking of actually trying Solstice in April..I have heard so much about it and have many friends that want to try it with me..I hope to see you on the Marina Inagural!!

Regards,

Jancruz1

I too am a long time Princess cruiser, platinum status, if one can call it that...I have also cruised NCL (Norway) Costa (Carla C) which really 'dates' me..... as well as most recently Windstar. We enjoyed the 'casual elegant' feeling of the Windsurf on several cruises prior to its being sold to the owners of the Delta Queen ???:confused:

The recent sale of Windstar has been sadly reported on these pages as having reduced considerably the ambiance of the line.:( We are considering the November sailing of Azamar, Rome to Athens via Alexandria and would appreciate input by others who may have sailed the same lines for comparison.

I too am a long time Princess cruiser, platinum status, if one can call it that...I have also cruised NCL (Norway) Costa (Carla C) which really 'dates' me..... as well as most recently Windstar. We enjoyed the 'casual elegant' feeling of the Windsurf on several cruises prior to its being sold to the owners of the Delta Queen ???:confused:

The recent sale of Windstar has been sadly reported on these pages as having reduced considerably the ambiance of the line.:( We are considering the November sailing of Azamar, Rome to Athens via Alexandria and would appreciate input by others who may have sailed the same lines for comparison.

You should start your own thread with this question.

we have saild with X numerous times and 3x with princess. we have also sailed with Az for our money its the best of the 3 for service and food. we also like the country club casual dress code

if you are happy with the itinerary and cost then Az is the best choice of the three

just my opinion

I would go for the itinerary first, especially on a port-intensive cruise, so I would say that Azamara wins. My only quibble with your analysis is that the Princess mini-suite on Sun class ships (you don't say which ship) is far superior to the Sky Suite on Azamara. More room, better layout. Even on the larger Princess ships I would give the minisuite the edge. But I also wouldn't let it be the deciding factor.:)

Archived