Help in deciding between Princess and RCI

jschoch

I am having a difficult time deciding between the Star Princess and Mariner of the Seas with the same Western Carb. itin. We are a couple in our 40's and 50's and our daughter is 12. I have a deposit on a E1 aft cabin (7690) and would probably take a mini suite on the Star. I know both are big ships and the Mariner has alot more to do. But is it worth the extra cost. I have heard differing opinions of the food, service, etc. What about the private islands, Princess Cays and Labadee? We are going over spring break so I am sure both will be crowded.

Any advice would be appreciated on how to make a overall good decision for the family. thanks

Hi,

I have been on sister ships to the ones you care considering (Explorer of the Seas and Grand and Golden Princess).

There are differences between the lines and a lot of it is personal preferences. Princess has fresh water pools, RCCL - salt water pools. Princess offers anytime dining and traditional, RCCL just traditional dining. Both lines have buffets open and alternative dining.

If you daughter wants ice skating and rock climbing - go with RCCL. If these are not important, she will have fun on either line.

As far as private islands - I prefer Princess Cays which is on the island of Eleuthera, Bahanas. I found the sand smoother, the water clearer and it was easier to walk into the ocean for me. It is also better for snorkeling (compared to Labadee) though it is not a strong snorkeling spot. I know several who have practiced snorkeling here. There are (or was before the hurricanes hit) palm trees all over but not much foliage over all.

Labadee is on Haiti. When I was there in 2001, there was no marine life - we were told the Haitians had killed all of the fish in the area. I found the sand very rocky and didn't enjoy going into the water as much. There is a lot of foliage in this area (which can be good - just saying it is different from Princess Cays). I just didn't like this private island as much. I really wish RCCL would put their private island somewhere other than Haiti - though to RCCL's credit, the cruise lines area is very protected from the rest of the island.

I had good service on both ships/lines but it all depends on who your room steward and waiter is. I prefer the food on Princess better (personal preference).

I personally prefer Princess but I have no doubt you will have fun on whichever you choose. I did enjoy my Explorer of the Seas cruise. How much difference is the cost?

I am having a difficult time deciding between the Star Princess and Mariner of the Seas with the same Western Carb. itin. We are a couple in our 40's and 50's and our daughter is 12. I have a deposit on a E1 aft cabin (7690) and would probably take a mini suite on the Star. I know both are big ships and the Mariner has alot more to do. But is it worth the extra cost. I have heard differing opinions of the food, service, etc. What about the private islands, Princess Cays and Labadee? We are going over spring break so I am sure both will be crowded.

Any advice would be appreciated on how to make a overall good decision for the family. thanks

We had a Royal Caribbean cruise (our first with them) booked prior to our first sailing on Princess' Caribbean Princess. That was our second recent Princess sailing and by the time it was done I knew I had to cancel the Royal Caribbean cruise. There were just too many elements of the cruise that were Princess-exclusive. The thought of cruising without Personal Choice Cruising and all it's factors made my decision for me. I couldn't imagine not having the flexibility.

We had a Royal Caribbean cruise (our first with them) booked prior to our first sailing on Princess' Caribbean Princess. That was our second recent Princess sailing and by the time it was done I knew I had to cancel the Royal Caribbean cruise. There were just too many elements of the cruise that were Princess-exclusive. The thought of cruising without Personal Choice Cruising and all it's factors made my decision for me. I couldn't imagine not having the flexibility.

But you haven't tried RCI........Aren't you the one so emphatic about not discounting something you haven’t tried??

We've been with both lines many times. Very comparable experiences. We went on Jewel of the Seas this past Thanksgiving and are going on the Caribbean Princess this Thanksgiving. We like traditional second seating dinner, so personal choice dining is not important to us. We went with Princess for next year because the price of a suite on Princess was $500 per person less than a comparable cabin on Jewel. That said, kids really seem to enjoy RCCL, so if traveling with a child, I would stick to RCCL.

Different strokes for different folks! We by far prefer Labadee to Princess Cays! Other than that, either will be a good experience, but I agree that a teen might have a bit more fun on RCI regarless of whether she ice skates. There are just so many activites, espcially for the sports-minded.

Archived