Packing List for Hawaii

hillside

Does anyone have a packing list for Hawaii? We're planning on taking the Spirit of America (NCL) cruise around the islands plus spending time in Waikiki, Maui, and Kuaii. We should be gone 3 to 4 weeks. How casual can we go? I don't want a lot of luggage! Thanks in advance.

Very casual, for onshore...it's quite warm, so shorts, tees, etc... are in order. I'm not sure of the "dress code" on NCL, but you'll need things for dinner...whatever they suggest. But on the islands, it's laid back and easygoing.

Hawaii can be quite humid and sticky, I'd suggest short sundresses rather than shorts and a T for the ladies. It's very casual there, for men to be dressed up they wear a shirt with a collar and long pants. Lightweight shorts and T's are best for men in the day time hours. Lots of bathing suits, you will be in those more than clothes.

Hawaiian prints are abundant there and a couple new shirts or sundresses can make a fun souvenir, so don't think you have to take along all the clothing you need, buy some stuff there.

I believe there are laundry facilities onboard NCL ships, so that can help cut down on packing. During your land time sometimes hotels have laundry rooms, or you can find a laundromat close by. I'm generally not one to do laundry on vacation, but 3-4 weeks is a long time, packing for that length of a trip would be difficult to manage, so plan to do a bit yourself or send it out.

Comfortable walking sandals and flip flops for day and by the pool, casual footwear (loafers or dressier sandals) for evening.

NCL is very casual, no need for formal unless you want to.

Plan for your hair to be simple, humidity isn't always kind to hair styles, same with makeup, foundation will just melt off, so easy does it there.

We take plenty of sunscreen (or you can find it in abundance there as well since everyone slathers it on every single day) and hats for sun protection.

Have a great time! Hawaii is a favorite place for us, we haven't been for too long and would love to go again :) BTW, is NCL moving Spirit to Hawaii, I thought the only ship they had left there was Pride of America?

What time of year? In winter the weather is lovely but not terribly hot. In summer it is quite warm and can be very humid. Cotton works really well, and indeed casual is the general style. And of course bathing suits. If you are going to be 3-4 weeks I'd search out some of the quick drip dry travel clothes that rinse out and dry quickly. A hat and a pair of sandals or two with some shorts and tees will keep everyone on shore. Or light sundresses with a light overshirt to keep the sun off the shoulders.

Actually, the weather in Hawaii is almost always hovering around the 80's, the biggest difference being that there are fewer tradewinds during the summer months, so it will feel hotter and more humid. Winter months are a bit rainier, but then you do have the whales and the big waves to enjoy :)

Of course, there is also the fact that temps in Hilo can be cooler than other areas and if you go to higher elevations, it will be cooler there. So you do need to consider all these factors when planning.

The best time to go to Hawaii is in the spring and fall. I'd go anytime ;)

Heyy. Im going to hawaii too and i don't know what to pack. I am very excited though. I always overpack but i really can't this time since we're flying there and the amount of luggage we bring is limited. Im probably going to bring mostly shorts and tank top/t shirts. Im not going to bring too much clothes because i will mostly need bathing suits. I don't want to overpack because im going to be buying souveniers and maybe some hawaiian shirts. Do you think we would need sneakers in Hawaii? I'm trying leave everything I don't need at home and wondered if i should bring sneakers or not. You're lucky your staying there for so long. Don't forget to pack your formal wear.

Thanks, everyone. This info was very helpful and about what I thought. We're definately going casual, although I love dressing up. One last question, for those of you familiar with Chicos, would their travelers clothes be too warm? I'm just thinking about on the cruise for one dressier outfit.

The mosquitos prefer tourists - seriously! Locals don't seem to get as many bites. We bring off wipes and an itch stick. As they say, better safe than sorry.

Of course DD is a natural repellent for us, they seem to prefer her ;)

Sunscreen, hat or visor, sunglasses, lip balm w/ spf are very important. You will probably not need to wear athletic shoes (sneakers) unless you are doing some kind of hiking or horseback riding, etc. For footwear, Locals usually wear flip flops or sandals. Don't try to wear shoes on the beach! ;)

It can get pretty humid and sticky so bring clothes that are lightweight and made of natural fibers. And yes, it's pretty casual here so you can wear a sundress to most restaurants and not look out of place.

Onboard the cruise ship in the evenings, you will be in air conditioning so Chicos or any other type of clothing will be fine. I think you would roast if you wore it during the day on shore.

We enjoy dressing up too, but on an NCL ship it really isn't necessary, even people dressed "formal" seemed rather casual to us.

Only take sneakers if you plan on walking where you need sneakers or as athletic wear for the gym, sandals are a much better choice.

I have a packing list I'm using for Mexico. You're welcome to a copy, I have it in Excel too.

Jennifer

Jennifer, your list looks pretty much like mine, except I do my in side by side columns in the landscape mode, easier to read that way. I also do his and hers on seperate pages, so I can print my husbands off and give it to him, he'd get confused if I gave him my list as well ;)

I love it on Excel because I can tweak it for each cruise. I also keep seperate lists for land trips, since we don't need all the evening clothes for that.

My toiletry list isn't very extensive, I keep my toiletry kit packed all the time. It always seems that is the part of packing that takes the longest and is more involved plus the one area where you can forget one crucial item. Over the years I've accumulated duplicates of all the things we typically use, such as makeup tools, razors, hairbrushes, etc... and they have a permanent home in the kit. Liquids get refilled when we return home.

• 9 months later...

Hi, again. It's finally time to really pack. We leave March 1. Thanks to all who answered. I get the best information here on CC. We're going very casual with one better outfit for evenings on the ship and the few days in CA on the way back. That'll be something from my Chicos travelers wardrobe. Any last minute Hawaii wardrobe advice? :)

After looking at the NCL website I see where there are no do it yourself laundry facilities available on the POA. You can have laundry sent out & pay to have it cleaned but no do it yourself facilities. Also take note that I've read there is no electrical outlet near the bed or in the bathroom so you may want to take an extension cord, power strip & duct tape (the tape is to tape down the extension cord so you don't trip over it). Be sure to take either a wind up or battery operated alarm clock (do not rely on your cell phone as I'm told the time doesn't always stay correct). I never go on a cruise without my over the door shoe holder to hold little items. Just helps keep everything neat & in place. Enjoy!

Archived