A Comparison: Carnival Freedom and Noordam

rkacruiser

Thank you for this review. It was well written and very objective. Your experience mirrored my two cruises last year, except for the ships' names. We were on the HAL Zuiderdam and the Carnival Splendor. Did you notice any differences between the two lines for excursions or port days? We are now deciding between HAL and Carnival for a December cruise and I am happy to see that I am not the only one that thinks the new Carnival ships can "hold their own." Do you have any comments about the ports you visited? Did you do excursions through the ship or on your own? Thank you again for the review!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cherie

The only new port to me was Aruba and I booked the Aruba Town and Countryside Tour. I think it provided a good overview of the island, including a drive through the resort area, which is the type of tour I wanted. In Curacao, I took the Willemstad Trolley Train tour because on my previous visit to that island, I saw little of the city and lots of the island. At the other ports, on both ships, I simply wandered around on my own. Except for Ocho Rios. I have had some unpleasant experiences on previous cruises there and was hoping I could get off Freedom and get to their Margaritaville without being hassled. Immediately outside of the secure area of the pier, there was a horde of taxi drivers waiting. Not wanting to "run the gauntlet", I returned to the ship and spent a lovely day enjoy the amenities of the Freedom.

Thanks for the comparison. HAL is a line I would consider but haven't sailed on yet. I've heard good things about it. Maybe one day if the price and itinerary are right.

Can anyone let me know how they treat solo passengers?

Can anyone let me know how they treat solo passengers?

I've sailed as a solo on HAL more times than I can count (ran out of fingers a long time back ;)), and I'll say I'm treated very well.

It starts with either a decent single supplement rate of 50% over the per person/double occupancy rate. And it continues with a guaranteed share program, if I don't want to pay even the affordable single supplement.

There are numerous opportunities to mix with others, including, but not limited to, single/solo get-togethers. I find my fellow travelers welcome me into their conversations and games. I love a large dinner table at a fixed seating. That way I do get to share my day with a group that becomes familiar.

jpg1747,

I usually travel solo and there is no difference between the service that I receive as compared to any of the other guests. I have found that when I am sitting at the bar in the Crow's Nest or the Ocean Bar and the staff is not busy, they are more than willing to carry on a conversation with me whether there are other guests present or not.

The Filipino and Indonesian crew are warm, caring, very pleasant people. It shows. Those crew members on Carnival Freedom who were of one of these nationalities also demonstarted the same characteristics.

Thanks for reading my review and your comments!

I understand that on Carnaval you don't have to go to bed at 10:00pm like you do on HAL, as they have an adult comedy show each evening at 10:30pm. It seems that Carnaval may attract some Dems unlike HAL where most of the passangers seem to be "Stick in the muds".

We enjoyed the Freedom last spring in the Med and felt every bit at home with all aspects of the services rendered as any on our many HAL cruises. Where itinerary and value pleases us we go. Our next 2 adventures are on HAL and our choices were influenced by those factors. I am confident we'll make the most of what is offered!

Thanks for the comparison. Pretty true to my experiences too!

Jan

Question about the Freedom - Do they have comparable dancing area like the Ocean View Bar on HAL or the Wheelhouse on Princess?

I just tried an older/smaller Carnival ship. It only had that type dancing in the showroom during the welcome and captain's party. Full orchestra then and very nice.

Other than that I really enjoyed the cruise but of course I read lots of reviews and set expectations appropriately. Comparisons like the OPs are REALLY helpful!!!

I understand that on Carnaval you don't have to go to bed at 10:00pm like you do on HAL, as they have an adult comedy show each evening at 10:30pm. It seems that Carnaval may attract some Dems unlike HAL where most of the passangers seem to be "Stick in the muds".

Why would you take what was, up to this point, a very nice thread and say something like that?

I take it that David was still on the Noordam in the Piano Bar.

Awful. Truly awful.

I find this sort of thing truly surprising, given how the cruise lines are so strapped to make the most in onboard revenue on all of their sailings these days.

The biggest part of the job for any piano bar performer is to rope 'em in. Get people to enter the bar, like the music and decide to stay for a while. If they stay, chances are they'll order a drink, and then another, and hopefully another. Cha ching! If the piano bar performer sucks, and people aren't coming in to listen and partake in the fun, then the cruise line is losing money on that venue. That's why I'm shocked that after a month or so of that, the piano bar performer wouldn't be promptly replaced.

Amazing.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Question about the Freedom - Do they have comparable dancing area like the Ocean View Bar on HAL or the Wheelhouse on Princess?

I just tried an older/smaller Carnival ship. It only had that type dancing in the showroom during the welcome and captain's party. Full orchestra then and very nice.

Other than that I really enjoyed the cruise but of course I read lots of reviews and set expectations appropriately. Comparisons like the OPs are REALLY helpful!!!

Yes, on Freedom there are areas in some of the lounges that have a dancing floor and appropriate music for dancing. During what would be Happy Hour for second seating, there was nice music for dancing and a few were dancing in the Millennium Lounge on the bottom deck of the spectacular Atrium. There were dance floors and live music in the Habana Bar (a smoking venue) and the Swingtime Lounge, but I never saw anyone dancing.

I am glad that you find my comparison helpful! That is why I decided to write it.

Archived