London Plays

margord

For a great site for US and London discounts, try broadwaybox dot com. Click on the London tab at the top. I used them many, many times and have never been disappointed, plus you can get some great deals. I just looked at the site and there are more deals than usual probably due to the economy. I don't know what dates you will be looking at, but in Jan 2010, there is the "Get into London Theatre" that usually has some fantastic deals for the best seats. It's put on every year by the Lord Mayor. We've done that for the last 3 years.

Hope this helps!

Is there something you specifically want to see? There is a half price ticket booth in Leicester Square which sells seats for the same day. Otherwise you can go through the theatre itself which will specify which agency it uses if it doesn't sell the seats itself.

A really good website for London theatre is the Theatre Monkey.

Tickets can be obtained directly from the theatres or their websites (often directing you to the theatre's official agent) or from the usual agents: Ticketmaster and See Tickets in particular.

If you want cheap tickets, the best way is go to the half price ticket office on the day of the show. This is situated on the south side of Leicester Square, almost directly outside the Odeon West End cinema - see this page for details and photos. This is the official place. Please don't confuse it with the various unofficial private ticket agencies dotted about all over town. That website also has details of what's on, as it's the official website of the Society of London Theatre.

Is there something you specifically want to see? There is a half price ticket booth in Leicester Square which sells seats for the same day. Otherwise you can go through the theatre itself which will specify which agency it uses if it doesn't sell the seats itself.

Yes we want to see Les Mis.

You could also try lastminute.com which do, not only great ticket deals, but also some fantastic dinner and theatre ticket deals as well.

I love the half price ticket booth right in the middle of leicester square ( as mentioned above). Please don't bother with the plethora of discount stalls elsewhere as you'll end up paying more than you should.

Globalizer, would you mind telling why you think the HoHo buses should be grounded, so to speak.
They are slow and obstructive. Remember what roads are like in London - most have one lane going in each direction (if that). Sometimes the lane is not really wide enough for a bus, anyway. Everyone behind the HOHO bus can only go as fast as the HOHO bus, even if it is trundling along at only 10 mph.

On top of that, some of the drivers then make things even worse by being stupid and inconsiderate (although, to be fair, some of the other drivers understand what a nuisance they are, and do their best to help other traffic along). It was one of those stupid and inconsiderate drivers that I had to shout at last weekend.

At the end of the day, London is not a tourist attraction. We live and work here. Tourists are a bit of a peripheral sideline. The congestion caused by HOHO buses (and other tour buses) is a large part of why, collectively, London does not make a profit out of tourists. Yes, they bring a lot of money here. But they also cost us a bomb in additional expense, congestion, wasted time, etc.

Thanks, working in Boston we know tourists well:D

Depending on the area, we also have some pretty nasty Streets. Beacon Hill area, etc. but for the most part, plenty of room for passing, etc.

We will be there in mid Sept for 2 nights and I do so want to see the Tower of London and other sights. Would love to see Princess Diana's final resting place, but I hear we are not too sure where that may be?????;)

Well, back to our previous program - London Plays

They are slow and obstructive. Remember what roads are like in London - most have one lane going in each direction (if that). Sometimes the lane is not really wide enough for a bus, anyway. Everyone behind the HOHO bus can only go as fast as the HOHO bus, even if it is trundling along at only 10 mph.

On top of that, some of the drivers then make things even worse by being stupid and inconsiderate (although, to be fair, some of the other drivers understand what a nuisance they are, and do their best to help other traffic along). It was one of those stupid and inconsiderate drivers that I had to shout at last weekend.

At the end of the day, London is not a tourist attraction. We live and work here. Tourists are a bit of a peripheral sideline. The congestion caused by HOHO buses (and other tour buses) is a large part of why, collectively, London does not make a profit out of tourists. Yes, they bring a lot of money here. But they also cost us a bomb in additional expense, congestion, wasted time, etc.

Choke. :eek:

The London Tourist Board may very well have something to say about that.

http://www.visitlondon.com/

No, they would recognise that London is first and foremost a working city where millions of people try to lead normal working lives. We are not a theme park.

Great point and truth. Most people do live and work there in a busy commercial, banking and government center. Tourist business is big, but they all need to live together. Not easy when many parts of town were laid out before the auto and trucks came along. Thanks heavens for the great Underground system. It's super.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Of course London is a tourist attraction.
Well, we are not going to agree on this, but let me just make the difference plain: There are some tourist attractions in London. There are some other places in London that are of interest to tourists. But London is not a tourist attraction, and tourists do sometimes get seriously in the way of real life.

Although I do not wish to start a huge debate, for those of us who are from the USA, London itself is a tourist attraction. Everything from the tiny roads, old shops & pubs, policemen, beautiful architecture,and many, many more, make up a city that should not be missed...a tourist attraction.

I have just returned after living there for the last 3 years. Yes, traffic is horrible, but you can't blame that on the HOHO buses. Traffic would be horrible with or without them. The regular buses make driving nearly impossible in some areas.

I for one never once ventured around the city without being in admiration of something new that I hadn't seen before. There is so much more than the "sites" to see. I loved just sitting on a bench and watching the people for awhile.

So, before you blast me, consider that it's the whole package that makes London such a wonderful place to visit. Fortunately, I never seemed to meet anyone who made me feel that I was doing the wrong thing because I was taking the time out to look at the Gargoyles on a non-listed tourist attraction building instead of spending my time at the Tower. Face it, whether you like it or not, London is a tourist attraction. It's a package deal: historic sites, pubs, unique architecture, streets, ceremonies,people...a city.

At the moment, the London theatres are not playing to capacity. I would suggest going directly to the Box Office of your chosen theatre on the day and enquiring about "day tickets". Friends of mine, in London for the day, managed to get £50 tickets for only £25 on the same day. They were informed that, if they returned after 1 pm, the same tickets would be further reduced to £20.

It's always worth asking.

Yes, traffic is horrible, but you can't blame that on the HOHO buses. Traffic would be horrible with or without them.
It's much worse where the HOHO buses operate, when they're around. Traffic flows much better when there are few tourists and few HOHO buses. Notable case in point: the choke point where Duke Street Hill becomes Tooley Street.

Archived