Flight overseas with 17 mos old, any ideas?

money lady

Hi There! My husband & I are travelling to Europe with our soon to be 16.5mos old son. We used airline points so we have business class seats (thank goodness). As he is under 2yrs old, he is in our seats and does not have a seat of his own. Any suggestions on what to bring to keep our active boy amused? Any cool toys out there that anyone knows of? Thanks in advance for your help!!!

You are probably going to encounter some unhappy business travelers when they see you sit down with your child, which of course, is their problem. Personally, I would have found it much more comfortable using my miles to obtain three Y seats so you all could sit in your own seat and bring your child's car seat for him to sit in, as most children sleep much better that way. It's really difficult holding a wiggly child in your lap for such a long flight, and I speak from experience. Also, it's difficult/impossible to enjoy the business class experience while holding a child.

Your child is at that age where it's hard to keep them quiet if they are active, as they want to walk around, not sit quietly in your lap.

Bring quiet toys that will not roll if you drop them on the floor or toys that don't seem attractive to throw. If he will wear headphones bring a DVD player or iPod. Just don't use it w/o the headphones, unless he doesn't care about the sound being off.

My kids liked to have those big crayons and a big pad and to "draw". They also liked those sticker books where you peel the stickers off and place them on the pictures. You can find those anywhere. Bring some books so you can read them quietly to him. Make sure you have some new ones; those lift the flap books or books where there is some tactile element, like Pat the Bunny, can amuse for a long time, though it may make you crazy to read it hundreds of times. Make sure any new toys have the wrappers removed so you don't have to deal with the trash on the plane.

Basically, I would do whatever possible to get through the flight and put any thought out of my mind that I was going to enjoy it. Sorry, but that's my experience, though you could always get lucky!

Definitely agree with the above. Is there anyway you can change and get 3 economy class seats. Having done return transatlantic flights twice last year from UK to New York and Cancun I can say that having a seat and a my baby's car seat was definitely the best option especially if they like it when they are in the car. She wasn't even walking at the time so I dread to think what it would be like now.

If you aren't able to change I hope someone comes along and gives you advice on good toys to keep him amused.

When we travel long distances I pick up small fun toys at the dollar store or Walmart like flash cards with animals, candy/cookies, or little toy cars. Anything little but new. Then I quickly wrap them, so it will add more to the surprise. Every hour or so I let my kids pick a new present out of the bag. They have to behave to get it and it seems to really work. I show them on the clock when they can have the next one and they remember and ask for it. Even now that they are 5 & 6 they still ask for their good prizes!

We went to Vietnam with our DD when she was 2 1/2 years, so a short little jaunt to Europe would be a piece of cake. ;)

I'll echo the others and suggest getting a 3rd seat if it is at all possible. Although, there should be enough room in Business class that he can get on the floor under/in front of your seat if you're ok with that.

Some of the things that kept our 2 1/2 year old entertained were:

• DVD Player (don't rely on the in-flight entertainment), but make sure you have at least 4-5 hours of battery life or don't bother.
  • Coloring / Drawing
  • Magnet books (like the ones where there's a farm scene or a city scene, and then you have flat magnets of animals or cars and you put them in the book and rearrange them).
  • A massive sticker book
  • Little plastic animals

Another thing to consider is food. Our DD was always a pretty good eater and she did ok, but after awhile (remembering our flight was a lot longer than yours will be), she just got sick of the same 'ol airline food. Take some things along that you know he'll like because he'll certainly get crabby if he gets hungry.

You could also check out flyertalk.com. They have a board dedicated to traveling with children are are more centered on airlines and hotels than cruises.

Don't rely on getting food/beverage on the airplane. There are often very long delays before takeoff/after landing, and they usually won't serve during those times. I always bring plenty of our own food and water, and I also do as the previous poster said, I bring a ton of little ziploc baggies with snacks and treats so I always have something new to pull out when my twins get antsy.

I'm also in the group that would prefer to have three seats in economy.

Best,

Mia

wow, thanks so much for all your replies! I asked our family doc about giving our little guy childrens gravol, but he advised against it as there was a recent study that said not to give it to kids under 5. So we'll not do that. I love all the toys and goodies ideas. Thanks so much. I'll also go on flyertalk. com... never knew about that. Thanks a bunch & have a great weekend!!:)

Hi There! My husband & I are travelling to Europe with our soon to be 16.5mos old son. We used airline points so we have business class seats (thank goodness). As he is under 2yrs old, he is in our seats and does not have a seat of his own. Any suggestions on what to bring to keep our active boy amused? Any cool toys out there that anyone knows of? Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Anything that is "New" to him. Lots of people suggest hitting up the discount/resale/dollar stores for toys so you dont spend a fortune.

My suggestions

mini magna doodle

hot wheels cars

stickers

crayons and coloring books

books

FOOD/cheetos/junk

(now is a good time to let them eat junk to keep them quiet)

Favorite blanket/sleeping toy

Good luck.

We adopted our dd from China when she was 10 mos old. Even then we got her a seat flying home but the funny thing was that she practically slept the entire trip back.

To this day (she's now almost 5) when we fly, she konks out as soon as we take off. Must be the sounds and movement but we've never had a problem with her flying.

I tell DH we should change her room to an airplane theme to get her to go to bed easier!!!!!

We adopted our dd from China when she was 10 mos old. Even then we got her a seat flying home but the funny thing was that she practically slept the entire trip back.

To this day (she's now almost 5) when we fly, she konks out as soon as we take off. Must be the sounds and movement but we've never had a problem with her flying.

I tell DH we should change her room to an airplane theme to get her to go to bed easier!!!!!

I WISH!!!!

I was hoping the DD would sleep a lot on our Vietnam trip. But, at 2 1/2 years old, she LOVED to go on airplanes. As a result, she basically refused to sleep on the plane for fear something exciting would happen and she'd miss it - like that 9th hour of the trans-Pacific flight is somehow going to be different from the 3rd hour.

Literally, she slept for 4 hours during the first 24 hours of our trip. She (and us) knocked out pretty good once we got to Saigon though!

...I can say that having a seat and a my baby's car seat was definitely the best option especially if they like it when they are in the car. She wasn't even walking at the time so I dread to think what it would be like now...

The car seat is actually safer as well. The above posters are correct, the business travellers will freak out if your toddler starts crying and/or starts running up and down the aisle. What airline are you on?

You may want to post on the cruise air forum as well to get more ideas.

The car seat is actually safer as well. The above posters are correct, the business travellers will freak out if your toddler starts crying and/or starts running up and down the aisle. What airline are you on?

You may want to post on the cruise air forum as well to get more ideas.

I totally agree with the business traveler statement. They can also be quite vocal with their complaints. Many of them have to start work immediately upon arrival and that's why their companies have paid for those business seats; so they can get some rest.

An active toddler is going to make them crazy and I've seen it happen.

I really would reconsider and try to get three seats in economy. If you feel stressed, so will your child and it just goes downhill from there.

I totally agree with the business traveler statement. They can also be quite vocal with their complaints. Many of them have to start work immediately upon arrival and that's why their companies have paid for those business seats; so they can get some rest.

An active toddler is going to make them crazy and I've seen it happen.

I really would reconsider and try to get three seats in economy. If you feel stressed, so will your child and it just goes downhill from there.

I do understand that Business travellers would be annoyed but on the other hand whoever has booked and paid for the seats has as much right to be in it as much as a business traveller. I personally wouldn't book business class seats because the thought of annoying people would really stress me out too much. Also as said previously I preferred the 3 seats.

What happens if people complain about children in business class, would the family get moved?

I do understand that Business travellers would be annoyed but on the other hand whoever has booked and paid for the seats has as much right to be in it as much as a business traveller. I personally wouldn't book business class seats because the thought of annoying people would really stress me out too much. Also as said previously I preferred the 3 seats.

What happens if people complain about children in business class, would the family get moved?

No. People complain on airplanes all the time. The family paid for the business seats and would have every right to be there. Anyway, sometimes there is just no place else to move. If it was a valid complaint, an FA would probably speak to the family, but unless they were really out-of-control, nothing much would happen.

A complaining passenger can always complain directly to the airline after a flight. If they have status, I guarantee, IME, they will receive a voucher, etc. for the inconvenience.

We are flying with Air Canada & Swiss Air. I am now really considering the economy seats for each of us. He really is a good little boy, but just curious now that he is walking. He has flown twice (return total of four times for two cruises) and always did quite well. He was 4 mos the first time & almost 12mos the second trip. I have already got some great toys/books/snack ideas for him to help keep him occupied. I also have some stategies planned .. if he starts crying or fussing a lot, I'll take him to the restroom & try to calm him. I thought that might help to calm down with no distractions. I am also going to try to relax & keep calm so I don't "transfer" my anxiety to him. Keep your fingers crossed!!

Good luck! There really is a huge difference between 4-12 and 17 months. I also agree you should get the child a seat of their own. I have flown alone on many flights to Europe from the US with my daughter and I think I would have lost my mind if she didnt have her own seat. I brought new books, toys, snacks, and a portable DVD player. She generally only watched the DVD player when she was getting tired and that help put her to sleep. Medications were a waste for me. They did nothing so I stopped trying. Again Good luck!

We have done it a few times with our toddlers, I would also recommend economy class 3 seats with the baby in a "comfortable" car seat (ex- Britax). I would never want to give up business class on a trans-atlantic flight but consider this, how much sleeping, relaxing, eating, drinking will you be able to do with a baby on your lap who will want to move all over the place? I don't know that you will be able to enjoy the perks of this class of service-which is why you would want to fly in it. When my boys were strapped securely in their car seat with a portable DVD player (we brought), earphones, LOTs of their favorite DVD's, toys and their favorite snacks (we brought), they were very happy. Due to this fact, I was able to read, nap, eat, have a drink and relax. To me this was better than a tiring flight in business class. Just something to think about. Have fun!

Personally, I would not be at all concerned w/business class passengers. You have just as much right to be there as they do since you coughed up the money or points for business class. I agree that if your DS acts up, you might get some dirty looks, but I wouldn't be concerned w/that unless his fussiness persists for a long time. You could take a walk to the bathroom or put on a Blue's Clues DVD (DS LOVES blues clues).

I am flying w/a very active 15MO in a week, granted our flight is only 4hrs, we chose not to buy a seat for him. I know my son will want to sit w/me anyway. I think if you prepare yourself w/several activities, and emergency snacks, you will be fine. Good luck....post how it went when you get back!!

Archived