SB '10 Advice

Hello everyone,

Im new to posting on these forums, but everyone seems very nice and helpful, so I thought i would chime in. Im looking to do a cruise with some of my fraternity brothers late next February. I have been on Eastern and Western itineraries before, and so have many of my brothers, so we are looking at doing a Southern Caribbean cruise. We've set our sights on the RCCL Adventure of the Seas 7 night from San Juan. The price fits within our spending range, and from what I can tell, Adventure looks like a pretty cool ship. Would anyone recommend this cruise as something that would be good for 10 or so 20-22 year old guys? How are the ports? Also, what can one expect to pay for drinks on board?

TIA

We cruised Adventure out of San Juan a few years ago. I think you will enjoy it. The price of drinks, depends on what you drink, but from $6.00 on up to the $11.50 premium margarita. I really don't know what beer costs. I know crown and coke is $7.50, so I figure a beer is probably around $6.00.

You are on vacation, just have fun (but the seapass card does add up.);)

I will take you at your word since this is your first post, and a lot of people will assume you're trolling. See, we have a tendency to think the worst of people whose first post is controversial, which 20 - 22 college frat guys is definitely a button-pusher.

So, having said that, the Southern Caribbean is a lot more interesting. If you want to actually SEE different islands, then you'll like it. If you are only interested in watersports and drinking, then any Caribbean itinerary will do. The Southern's are usually more expensive, because you usually have to fly further to start them, or go longer. But, you've got that figured out already.

Enjoy!!!

Be aware that anyone under the age of 21 must be in a cabin with someone 21 or older. Also, the drinking age on RC is 21. This is from their website:

What is Royal Caribbean International's Age Policy? - Royal Caribbean International Q: What is Royal Caribbean International's Age Policy? A: No guest under the age of twenty-one (21) will be reserved in a stateroom unless accompanied by an adult twenty-one (21) years of age, or older. This age limit will be waived for minor children sailing with their parents or guardians in adjacent staterooms or under-aged married couples (proof of marriage is required).

Why do I need a beverage waiver? - Royal Caribbean International Q: Why do I need a beverage waiver? A: Effective as of all sailings commencing on or after July 28, 2006, the minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on all Royal Caribbean International ships is 21. On cruises departing from European and South American countries, where the legal drinking age is typically lower than 21, a parent who is sailing with his or her son(s) and/or daughter(s) who is between the ages of 18 to 20, may sign a waiver allowing the 18 to 20 year old to consume alcoholic beverages.

Guys your age would be better off on a Carnival ship. Most likely the cruise will cost you less and you will find more people your own age.

Drink prices are going to be about the same regardless of cruise line you go on. As far as Royal is concerned you will probably not find any difference in alcohol prices as everything is controlled by the front office.

I AM sure you will have a good time,and we love the southern route,look at the ports of call board,and you will find lots of info,like what tours others took,or things to do or see, ziplining is popular,just make sure your onboard 60 minutes from sail time,they tend not to wait,have a great time:)):D

Hello everyone,

Im new to posting on these forums, but everyone seems very nice and helpful, so I thought i would chime in. Im looking to do a cruise with some of my fraternity brothers late next February. I have been on Eastern and Western itineraries before, and so have many of my brothers, so we are looking at doing a Southern Caribbean cruise. We've set our sights on the RCCL Adventure of the Seas 7 night from San Juan. The price fits within our spending range, and from what I can tell, Adventure looks like a pretty cool ship. Would anyone recommend this cruise as something that would be good for 10 or so 20-22 year old guys? How are the ports? Also, what can one expect to pay for drinks on board?

TIA

Welcome to Cruise Critic. ;)

The Adventure is an perfect ship for young adults like yourselves. I am sure besides the pub, many bars and all the night life on board, you might also be interested in the basketball court, rock climbing wall, and all the other things available on her to do. ;)

There are two different alternating itineraries that she does every other week. I would imagine you could all come up with which Islands would be your favorite choices to visit and decide which cruise to take.

One week might also be a lot cheaper than another week also. You have picked a great ship, with a great itinerary to cruise on and I think you would all enjoy it.

A mixed drink can go for about $6.95 with the tip already added in. I know they sell buckets of beer, but I do not know how many beers or how much? There is also a drink special everyday that is cheaper in price. When you buy a drink, make sure you tell them you want it in a regular glass and not in a souvenir glass. You will end up paying a lot more for that drink in that glass if you don't tell them.

This would be one weeks cruise:

Adventure Of The Seas

Departure Port: San Juan, Puerto Rico

Ports of Call: San Juan, Puerto Rico; Oranjestad, Aruba; Willemstad, Curacao; Roseau, Dominica; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; San Juan, Puerto Rico

This would be the alternating weeks cruise:

Ship Name: Adventure Of The Seas

Departure Port: San Juan, Puerto Rico

Ports of Call: San Juan, Puerto Rico; Bridgetown, Barbados; Castries, St. Lucia; St. John's, Antigua; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands; San Juan, Puerto Rico

My 22 year daughter and her friends all went on last year and had blast. Hopefully you are not planning on President's weeks as that is a premium week with premium prices due to the Northeast having a winter break that week. If you are, book your air ASAP and book the cruise because the air will get ridiculous.

• 1 month later...

Someone in our group was looking at another RCCL sailing, this one being on Liberty of the Seas from Miami 2/28 Western Caribbean. Would anyone recommend this for our group? I am trying to figure out which itinerary would have more people our age?

Take the cruise on RCCL. We sailed a spring break cruise ( we are 50 ish), sort of by accident and there were TONS of young 20 somethings on board. Everyone looked to be having a great time.

Be aware that security was everywhere and looking for underage drinking or pouring any liquid from a "strange looking" bottle .

M

This is a great ship far all ages it has some great night life for all adults... I have been on the AoS 3 times and never regretted it both itineraries are great (the Aruba one ha one less stop if I remember correctly) but all the ports are good and the ship is fantastic...

Someone in our group was looking at another RCCL sailing, this one being on Liberty of the Seas from Miami 2/28 Western Caribbean. Would anyone recommend this for our group? I am trying to figure out which itinerary would have more people our age?

Personally if i were you I would take the Liberty of the Seas cruise. I have done both and much preferred the Liberty with its flow riders, she is fantastic !!!

Also being that the Liberty sails from the main land it always seems less hassle to me .... then again I live in Florida ;)

I would definitely stay with RCI and don't let some of the lets say mature people in this forum talk you into Carnival. However most people on this forum are very helpful. In 2007 and 2008 I went on Spring break cruises on Navigator and Liberty. As college students even through we enjoyed our drinking we were still very civil guys and enjoy the cruising experience over Cancun or somewhere that you wake up and drink you face off.

I have not been on AOS but i've been on EOS and NOS (Voyager Class) and we did have a great time. But ever since i've done Liberty and Independence the Freedom class ships are the only way to go in my eyes. Your getting everything you'd get on the Voyager Class ships plus more. My favorite on these ships is the flowrider. I would spend every morning on that for a few hours.

For spring break I also enjoyed western caribbean itineraries which included Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel & Labadee Haiti. In Jamaica we climbed the falls which i've done a few times and after we were finished we went over to Jimmy Buffetts Margaritaville.

In Grand Cayman we would do seven mile beach or even swim with the stingrays. But then again you have a selection of bars to go to as well.

Cozumel- you have Carlos and Charlies, Senor Frogs and many other activities. I prefer picking a beach and getting some beer to relax with on the beach.

Labadee is a great beach day with many activities.

There are plenty of other things you can do in these spots but I was just trying to relate to the college age student.

Good luck with whatever you choose i'm sure you will have a great time with your friends. Try to bring a sorority with you too.. haha..

Archived