Mexico/swine flu discussions (merged)

coxswain

Well in answer to the original question posted by the OP, I am not sure what the Cruise Lines will do about stopping in Mexican Ports but I will tell you what I heard on our local News tonight in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area about the airlines response.

According to the news, American Airlines has said it will change flights (AT NO PENALTY) to/from Mexico. Meaning if you have a Mexican vacation planned and want to change it, American Airlines, at least, will let you change your air accomodations at no extra fee. Actually pretty amazing considering the fees applied to most airline changes.

So what will the Cruise Lines do? Who knows? All I can say is if someone wants to book an all-inclusive in Mexico, now would be the time to do it, especially for price and availabilty. Is there a threat with the Swine Flu, yes of course. But is it being blown way out of proportion, yes, of course it is. Anyone remember the Swine Flu Shots in the late 1970's. I never had one did you?

Colleen

It has just been reported that the EU have warning the public of visits to both the USA and Mexico due to the Swine Flue epidemic that appears to be gathering momentum.

It has now been reported the first case of the flu in Spain with another result being awaited at a Scottish hospital.

Dont know how this is going to affect travellers coming from the stateside to catch European sailings and also the EU Travellers going to the Caribbean.

This is just the start I believe

Funny you should say the above, my house is clean but not sterile and my kids are never sick. My sister-in-law on the other hand is a clean freak and her kids are ALWAYS sick, go figure.:rolleyes:

I know, slightly off topic from OP but. . . Anyway, a few germs here and there will make your immune system work much better. If it doesn't know what it needs to fight when it finds those nasty germs you are in a 'boat load' of trouble.

I am of the mind set that you need to watch what you do, not go looking for germs, but not go overboard either and you will be fine.

Biggest important cruising story of the year and they moved it to the graveyard?

this is not even close to the biggest story of the year, this is the flu...not the black plague. Yes there have been deaths in Mexico most likely because they did not seek medical treatment or were too poor to (cnn said it not me)

this is not even close to the biggest story of the year, this is the flu...not the black plague. Yes there have been deaths in Mexico most likely because they did not seek medical treatment or were too poor to (cnn said it not me)

Regarding travel? You seemed to have missed a crucial word. And you should make the switch to FOX.

Biggest important cruising story of the year and they moved it to the graveyard?

While it may not be the "biggest" story of the year, it is significant. Check out the front page stories of today's newspapers.

I would certainly agree the the "Floataway Lounge" is the graveyard. Let's not relegate this topic to a thread that few choose to visit!

There have been 6 cases reported in Canada over the weekend. The people are doing fine, but this may just be the tip of the ice berg. I think that the measures Mexico is taking may go along way to stopping it from becoming a pandemic, but it is still something we should all be aware of.

Swine flu update.:eek:

Fox news just announced that the State Department is now BANNING all unessesary travel to Mexico. I will see what it means by that, but it could shut down the Mariner of the Seas, and other lines travelling to Mexico on the West Coast, if it is true.

There are ships that go to Cozumel, but those could be switched to another Caribbean Island.

Maybe someone can clarify exactly what the US State Department is saying.

Rick

Edited to say that tourists are being warned NOT to travel to Mexico. They are now saying that they are NOT banning travel at this point.

In view of the current flu problem, including deaths, ravaging Mexico; has any one obtained info on how the cruise lines that stop there are dealing with the problem?

Although some in Fantasyland believe this not an issue, TV news announced that the US Govt has now advised US citizens not to visit Mexico unless absolutly necessary.For those of us with pending cruise stops in Mexico, I am repeating my inquiry.

I just saw that they advise you don't travel to Mexico unless it is necessary - saw it on my local TV station - which is neither fox or cnn.

If I had a cruise to Mexico schedule in the near furture - I would be very concerned.

They don't know the answer to that yet.

Most of the people who have died are in the 25-45 age bracket, not the very young or very old. That's perplexing to the experts, and the only "guess" I've heard from them (on TV) is that younger people have more active immune systems, and this flu might cause their immune systems to over-react and go haywire!:confused:

That's EXACTLY what happened in the 1918 deadly flu pandemic. Those healthy immune systems set off a furious cascade of deadly reactions. I read a book about it and that was one really scary virus. It started out somewhat mild, and as it traveled the globe it mutated into a virulent, deadly illness. Estimates are that up to 40-50 MILLION people died, many of them young and previously quite robustly healthy. Kind of scared the crud out of me.

I have just heard that too. I'ts on the BBC in the UK.

US State Department is to issue a travel waring that will urge Americans to avoid all 'non essential' travel to Mexico. I presume that includes visiting on a cruise ship.

Well i thinl cruiselines would be stupid to ignore it - can you imagine the lawsuits if someone caught the flu.

jj.....

I logged on today wondering about the Swine flu and saw someone had the same question concerning a cancelled port being sea day vs different port.

So my other question is does anyone know or heard why the people who got it in Mexico died and the people in the US are not? I wonder what the fatality rate is for this flu? Is it just a flu with regular flu type symptoms and what makes it fatal vs inconvenient.

It really isn't very perplexing. The people who are dying are dying due to lung issues (pneumonia etc..) Mexico city has some of the worse air quality in the world and almost everyone that lives there is considered to have lower than normal lung functions. In the US (for the most part) we don't have that issue so the lungs are able to recover. That being said when people get it with lung/immune issues they too will die just like the do with the flu every year

Archived