Back to Back?????

SeaBlueSkies

We're taking a 14 day cruise this fall. It is SOLD as a 14 days cruise. It leaves FLL sails for 7 days, then comes back to FLL and begins the next half of the 14 day cruise.

Is this cruise considered a "Back to Back" cruise or is it considered a 14 day cruise as it is advertised in the brochure?

Is it being called a "Collectors Cruise"? On some of the longer European cruises, that's the term being used.

Does it really matter if it's a back-to-back? :confused:

Personally, I think if most of the passengers are leaving after the first 7 days, and it's a new crowd the second week, it's much more of a back-to-back than a cruise that's 14 days. If it's the same people for the longer period it's a different atmosphere than two separate cruises.

We are on the Westerdam on October 25th for two weeks. We booked it as a 14 day cruise, but it is B2B as most passengers will get off after first week. We actually like this as my sister in law/hubby and niece and boyfriend are coming for the first week as they couldn't do a 2 week cruise. My in laws and my family are on for 2 weeks. Works out well.

Anyone know if you book the cruise this way, a 14 night, 2 7 day B2B, after the first 7 days, do you have to meet at the pursers desk to get new seapasses for the 2nd 7 weeks? Or, are they done ahead of time, and you would have full access to enjoy your day at the turnaround port?

We did a B2B on RC, and the only problem with the turnaround day is kinda seems you loose out on 1 day of your cruise. Granted you don't have to get off when all the other passengers are, but you have to meet to go through a security check, have a new seapass card done, and a new picture. Also, have to sorta deal with all the "rude" passengers having to get off the ship.

I think I would prefer a normal 14 night cruise, as compared to one that is a 14 night, but 2 7 day B2B. JMHO.

Would the difference be determined by your booking number? (I don't know the right answer to that question.) We are doing a 14-day Alaskan cruise, but we only have one booking number to represent the entire trip. Others are choosing only the north- or southbound segments.

Some suggest booking the cruise as two segments ... in case you can't travel on one of the segments "if something comes up," you'll still have the choice of the other week.

On HAL, the benefits are based on days instead of sailings, so I like that I'm getting credit for 14 days instead of 1 sailing as other lines measure them.

If you are required to have a new boarding card for the second week, it will be delivered to your cabin the last night of your first cruise. You may or may not have to clear Immigration in FLL.

We have done many b-to-b's and did so on Eurodam in March. We had to go into the terminal, clear Immigration, and wait until the ship zeroed down to no guests left aboard before we were permitted to reboard. I think it was less than an hour we were ashore as we waited until disembarkation was well underway before we went. This was the first time we ever had to do that on a b-to-b.

It is possible you may not have to do that as you apparently booked your 14 days as one cruise. Don't worry about it. You will be contacted and told exactly what to do. You will love not having to leave when most everyone else's cruise has ended. ;)

Well I'm a newbie to 14 day cruises, but I can tell you that when we get off the Ryndam in Seward we have a ship excursion booked for 8:00am that is listed as "in transit". So I'm assuming we won't be held up at all disembarking, and we don't plan on reboarding until dinner time!

You'll be fine if you are on a ship's excursion.

Every port is different and local authorities tell the ship what the requirements will be. What they do in FLL may be different from what they do in Boston or Seward.

We also were 'in transit'.

Anyone know if you book the cruise this way, a 14 night, 2 7 day B2B, after the first 7 days, do you have to meet at the pursers desk to get new seapasses for the 2nd 7 weeks? Or, are they done ahead of time, and you would have full access to enjoy your day at the turnaround port?

To some extent that depends on where your turn-around day is. I have had many of them in Europe, and never had any indication that it wasn't just another cruise day. I could go, come, or stay as I desired.

Seward should not be a problem as there should be no need to clear Customs/Immigration. That has already been done several ports back. Seward should also be "just another day".

Seward should not be a problem as there should be no need to clear Customs/Immigration. That has already been done several ports back. Seward should also be "just another day".

We're Canadian and boarding in Vancouver initially. Will we have to deal with customs at any of the USA ports?

We're Canadian and boarding in Vancouver initially. Will we have to deal with customs at any of the USA ports?

Boarding in Vancouver you will clear US Immigration before you even board the ship (love that cooperation between the two countries ;)). I remember one US representative, maybe a form :confused:, a couple of questions, and that was it.

Boarding in Vancouver you will clear US Immigration before you even board the ship (love that cooperation between the two countries ;)). I remember one US representative, maybe a form :confused:, a couple of questions, and that was it.

Thanks Ruth! Will the same hold true when we return to Vancouver?:confused:

Thanks Ruth! Will the same hold true when we return to Vancouver?:confused:

You're from Ontario. I presume you're asking the procedure for clearing Canadian Immigration/Customs? (Or are you heading into the States on your way back?) I'll mention both; that should cover it. ;)

I remember clearing Canadian authorities after leaving the ship. I was on a HAL bus to the airport, and was walking along an area I'm otherwise unfamiliar with. It was outside, and seemed to be under the Canada Place walkway.

It was quick, and painless; I remember that! A man in a nice uniform stopped me, asked a couple of questions, and sent me onward.

At the airport I had to clear US Immigration/Customs before heading to the gate. I can't remember if that came before, or after, security screening.

Archived