Swine flu updates from Cruise Critic

I'll admit, I am a little concerned about my upcoming cruise in June although I'm not going to Mexico. I don't plan to cancel unless there's a call for all cruises to be canceled.:eek: Which is unlikely.

As was mentioned, the thought of the possibility of someone being on the ship that is ill and doesn't know it. That would be devastating but still a possibility.

Yeah, I do watch a lot of sci-fi movies. :rolleyes:

We, too, have a cruise in June, and one of the ports is Cozumal. I'm not very worried about missing this port [been there, done that], but, I am worried about getting sick. My doc wont give a script for Tamiflu or Relenza. he said no doctors are because one has to be sick already to take them.

What I do know is, Nothing is keeping me off of that ship, I've earned it, I need it, and, damn it, i'm going if I have to wear a plastic suit!!:p;)

Folks, has anyone heard anything about Grand Cayman??? DH coworker (who also goes out of tampa alot) said his friends are on a Carnival Ship and the ship was denied entry to GC! Please if someone can verify this please do.

I dont know which ship, I would think Legend, could be inspiration though.

I dont want to start rumors but this needs to get out there because I know there are people onboard who go online.

Let's not say any more about this unless we can find out it's true and then this could be a real mess.

We, too, have a cruise in June, and one of the ports is Cozumal. I'm not very worried about missing this port [been there, done that], but, I am worried about getting sick. My doc wont give a script for Tamiflu or Relenza. he said no doctors are because one has to be sick already to take them.

What I do know is, Nothing is keeping me off of that ship, I've earned it, I need it, and, damn it, i'm going if I have to wear a plastic suit!!:p;)

Im surprised your doc wont give you a script. i called mine and asked for one just in case and he said no problem.

Folks, has anyone heard anything about Grand Cayman??? DH coworker (who also goes out of tampa alot) said his friends are on a Carnival Ship and the ship was denied entry to GC! Please if someone can verify this please do.

Melissa anyway you could contact Carnival and see if it was a Carnival ship? If this is true this is what i was more worried about, the islands not allowing the ships to dock.

I checked http://www.cruisett.com/ and it shows only the Veendam scheduled to dock but with the changes who knows what was supposed to dock today.

I dont want to start rumors but this needs to get out there because I know there are people onboard who go online.

Let's not say any more about this unless we can find out it's true and then this could be a real mess.

I know a lot of times the stops at GC have to be cancelled because the water is too rough for the tenders. That may be the reason they didn't stop there.

I am sure some of the people complaining the most about not going to Mexican ports would be the first to get an ambulance chasing lawyer to sue Carnival if they did continue to go to Mexico and these people got sick!!!!!

Am I wrong? NOT!!!!

Smitty

BINGO!!! This is exactly why Carnival is taking these measures. Once the government posted that travel to Mexico was discouraged, such a measure put Carnival in a difficult position.

I am sure Carnival's lawyers and risk managers had significant say in this.

Let me see what I can find out, folks!

Melissa anyway you could contact Carnival and see if it was a Carnival ship? If this is true this is what i was more worried about, the islands not allowing the ships to dock.

I checked http://www.cruisett.com/ and it shows only the Veendam scheduled to dock but with the changes who knows what was supposed to dock today.

Operater

He told me just to take a step back and wait and see. He said that docs aren't giving it yet. Maybe he told me that because of all the medication I already take, I don't know. Maybe i'll ask my Rhumotoligest, or, maybe i'll just wait and see. God!! I'm so confused.

As you can see, I do panic very well.

Shirl

BINGO!!! This is exactly why Carnival is taking these measures. Once the government posted that travel to Mexico was discouraged, such a measure put Carnival in a difficult position.

I am sure Carnival's lawyers and risk managers had significant say in this.

And if you read how people are complaining on another board about not being told more than a week ago about the flu (at that point barely even an "outbreak") when they docked in Cozumel you'd have to agree that they made the correct choice.

Below is an announcement from WAFB.com

The results are pending.

hdr_607x37.gif

Welcome From the WAFB Newsroom

Governor Bobby Jindal called an emergency news conference at 2:30 this afternoon to announce that Cathedral-Carmel School in Lafayette will be closed Thursday and Friday pending test results of flu-like symptoms from five 6th grade students in that school. One of the five students recently spent time in Mexico on a cruise. All five children have tested positive for flu strain “A” – the strain also shared by swine flu.

We are leaving in a couple weeks for the Eastern Caribbean but still wondered if we should be concerned because Destiny travels the the Western Caribbean doesn't she??? :eek:

Your thoughts...Don't want to cancel and don't think we have a reason to but this is just our second cruise and am VERY concerned. :rolleyes: We have trip insurance.

I just called Carnival and they said the Legend was in Grand Cayman yesterday and they weren't denied or anything.

On the splendor 5/10. Waiting for 5pm to see where we are going. We feel Carnival is doing the best they can for somthing thats out of there contorl. Glad to see Carnival is following the c.d.c. guidelines.

Unless your trip insurance is cancel for any reason, probably wouldnt do any good in this situation. Takes about 3 days after you come into contact with the flu to come down with it, so you probably would already be back home.

I doubt your cruise will go to Mexico, Carnival will announce port substitutions tonight after 5 pm for next week, so you can get a idea of what to expect.

This is potentially huge news....

Below is an announcement from WAFB.com

The results are pending.

hdr_607x37.gif

Welcome From the WAFB Newsroom

Governor Bobby Jindal called an emergency news conference at 2:30 this afternoon to announce that Cathedral-Carmel School in Lafayette will be closed Thursday and Friday pending test results of flu-like symptoms from five 6th grade students in that school. One of the five students recently spent time in Mexico on a cruise. All five children have tested positive for flu strain “A” – the strain also shared by swine flu.

Yesterday in a press release the WHO said border closures and eliminating non essential travel had little to no effect on the spread of SARS and similiar infections. In fact they said they were not recommending such measures and it would be unlikely they would recommend border closures as its only real impact was economically and not slowing the spread. Now where's my udate it's after 5pm and I leave in 3 days

Archived