New York or Quebec...where to embark? Sea conditions?

Winedogs

We are considering a New England Cruise on the Crown Princess at the end of September 2010. One itinerary starts in New York City (we have never been there) and travels North to Quebec (ending with an overnight on the ship in Quebec). The other starts in Quebec, with the overnight, and travels South to New York.

Any suggestions on where to start and does anyone know if seas would be better traveling Northbound or Southbound?

thanks

On Sept 23rd we are sailing on the Crown 10 day from New York to Quebec. Here is why we choose this route. We have sailed the C&NE cruise twice before, once from Montreal to New York on the old Regal Princess and a 10 New York/New York on the Constellation. Both times disembarking was chaos. The main problem was waiting in the Taxi line for 55 minutes. As you leave the terminal you are given a number for the taxi's and when your number was called you get the next cab. However, when a cab pulls up and flips open his trunk people rush from the line, toss thier luggage in and jump in the cab. Between the slow disembarkation and the taxi line we just made it to LGA in time for our flight. We will say that New York is a great city and you would enjoy a couple extra days pre-cruise if you could afford it. Now, let me further say that the two chaotic instances were at the Mahattan Pier. We have never sailed from Redhook in Brooklyn so things may be better. You will enjoy the cruise and the scenery along the way. You will love Quebec. To answer you other question the only slightly rough seas we had was leaving the Gulf of St Laurence (sp?) entering the Atlantic. Should you choose the reverse route I would strongly suggest taking Princess transfers ! Sorry to be so long winded and again this is just my opinion and others may have a different perspective! Smooth sailing !

On Sept 23rd we are sailing on the Crown 10 day from New York to Quebec. Here is why we choose this route. We have sailed the C&NE cruise twice before, once from Montreal to New York on the old Regal Princess and a 10 New York/New York on the Constellation. Both times disembarking was chaos. The main problem was waiting in the Taxi line for 55 minutes. As you leave the terminal you are given a number for the taxi's and when your number was called you get the next cab. However, when a cab pulls up and flips open his trunk people rush from the line, toss thier luggage in and jump in the cab. Between the slow disembarkation and the taxi line we just made it to LGA in time for our flight. We will say that New York is a great city and you would enjoy a couple extra days pre-cruise if you could afford it. Now, let me further say that the two chaotic instances were at the Mahattan Pier. We have never sailed from Redhook in Brooklyn so things may be better. You will enjoy the cruise and the scenery along the way. You will love Quebec. To answer you other question the only slightly rough seas we had was leaving the Gulf of St Laurence (sp?) entering the Atlantic. Should you choose the reverse route I would strongly suggest taking Princess transfers ! Sorry to be so long winded and again this is just my opinion and others may have a different perspective! Smooth sailing !

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

I have an entirely different view. On our last New England cruise we sailed from NYC to Montreal. If we had to do it again there is no question that we would do this in reverse.

If you plan to stay over and not return from Canada the same day then probably no big deal. But if you plan to fly home the day you disembark your plane check what the flight situation was. In our case we had an overnight in Montreal on the ship, we were off the ship around 8:00 AM the next morning and the flight was not until late in the afternoon. We couldn't get a flight any earlier. If we had gotten off in New York and chose to fly home that day there were lots of choices.

So, before you make a decision take a very close look at the flight situation to see if that affects your decision.

Keith

I have an entirely different view. On our last New England cruise we sailed from NYC to Montreal. If we had to do it again there is no question that we would do this in reverse.

If you plan to stay over and not return from Canada the same day then probably no big deal. But if you plan to fly home the day you disembark your plane check what the flight situation was. In our case we had an overnight in Montreal on the ship, we were off the ship around 8:00 AM the next morning and the flight was not until late in the afternoon. We couldn't get a flight any earlier. If we had gotten off in New York and chose to fly home that day there were lots of choices.

So, before you make a decision take a very close look at the flight situation to see if that affects your decision.

Keith

Thanks Keith. We were planning on staying an extra day in Quebec, since I also found there were less choices to fly home. We have never been to any of the ports (NYC included) and I think we will probable do a day extra on each end.

Archived